• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Olav´s Way from Sundsvall, Sweden to Nidaros (Trondheim), Norway

anniethenurse

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances.Vasco del Interior.Camino Finisterre& Muxia. Camino Portugues. Ruta del Ebro.
Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@anniethenurse thank you. I wasn't aware of this website, but when I heard that this route had opened up, it went onto my must do list. I had thought I would get it done this summer, but my son (and now daughter-in-law) decided to marry, tossing that plan into chaos. I'm now thinking of doing it in the summer of 2016.

If anyone is interested so more info here
http://www.stolavsleden.com/en/about-st-olavsleden/

Accomodation.
http://www.stolavsleden.com/uploads/boendelistor/5_Accommodation_stolavsleden.pdf

Maps.
http://www.stolavsleden.com/uploads/kartor/Maps_walk bike_Stolavsleden_.pdf

About 500km from coast to coast.
In English.

Lots of information.

@dougfitz you may have seen this webpage already
Thanks Annie for this information. A week ago my wife and I were in Trondheim, cruising the Norwegian fjords and the Northcape and by coincidence visiting the touristcenter next to the Nidaros cathedral I got aware of this pilgrimage.
Just was reading about it before I found your post on the Santiago forum.
Are the costs of lodging (herbergs) comparable with the costs in Spain ?image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
By the way, on the pic of the West wall of the Nidaros Cathedral, you can see St James - he's the third person to the right of Jesus and has a staff and hat on, looking towards Santiago!

By the way, on the pic of the West wall of the Nidaros Cathedral, you can see St James - he's the third person to the right of Jesus and has a staff and hat on, looking towards Santiago!
Nice place to stay . Somewhere in 1990 I was in Trondheim for the first time, visting Prøven Bil Transport ,selling them a heavy transport trailer.now I came back with the cruiseship MS Rotterdam as a tourist. A pity it rained that day but we loved the town and made a nice walk around and ended up at Nidaros. Okay I saw St.James at my taken picture.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Are the costs of lodging (herbergs) comparable with the costs in Spain ?
No. Expect them to be be much higher depending on the route. There is a much smaller network of herberge, and I had to use camping grounds and hotels in many places. There would be an advantage travelling as a couple in some places. Eg, the cost of a hut would be shared, where I didn't have that option. Food costs also appeared higher - there were few places with a pilgrim meal.

No. Expect them to be be much higher depending on the route. There is a much smaller network of herberge, and I had to use camping grounds and hotels in many places. There would be an advantage travelling as a couple in some places. Eg, the cost of a hut would be shared, where I didn't have that option. Food costs also appeared higher - there were few places with a pilgrim meal.
Thanks Doug. I allready noticed during our cruise last two weeks that the costs of living are far higher than in the Netherlands but I had the expectation that something special was arranged for peregrinos what I understand out of your story is not.
I like the Scandinavian countries very much I used to work there in the eighties and part of the nineties and regulairy we camp there, mostly in Sweden.
The landscape in Norway is fabulous.A deep impression made the Geirangerfjord, south of Trondheimimage.jpg

Thanks Doug. I allready noticed during our cruise last two weeks that the costs of living are far higher than in the Netherlands but I had the expectation that something special was arranged for peregrinos what I understand out of your story is not.
It's not correct to say that there are no arrangements made for pilgrims. There is a network of hergerge, but it is far less extensive than the albergue network in Spain. It is enough to ensure that you have reasonable options most days. That said, in many places the options are to use hotels in towns or stay at camp grounds, where there might be a small discount if you are a pilgrim, but you are still going to pay close to the normal rate for your accommodation. If you are staying in huts on farms, you might find that the land owner will also provide meals. But there were also places, where no meals are provided and you needed to be carrying food for a couple of days of meals.

The other aspect of this is that the basic geography and land use is quite different to Spain, where there are villages every couple of hours or so, or less. Towns in Norway might be days walking apart. The longest on the Oslo-Trondhiem route was five days between Dovre and Oppdal. But there are places to stay along the way that provide meals and can provide a packed lunch. On that leg, for example, there was only one place where I stayed that didn't provide any meals, because even though it wasn't 'remote', the hut was unattended. It was a day's walk (for me) from the previous place that provided meals, and another half day's walk to the next place. That wasn't the only unattended hut that I used, and at each one I was careful to make sure that I purchased food beforehand to cover all the meals until the next town.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Okay I understand what you mean Doug. So it will be a different planning.
I do not think I should opt for the entire walk from Oslo but only should go for one week preferable a part from the trail from Sundsvall in Sweden, starting at the Swedish -Norwegian border. But it is a great pelgrimage ,coming from Oslo. I travelled bussinesswise a lot in the area between Oslo-Bergen-Trondheim and Hamar. And several times we camped there with our camping trailer.
I like the northern countries very much. Have you ever been on Iceland ?
That's a great country for walking too. I rounded it with my car and caravan some years ago . These kind of countries give value for money although and here we are back to the beginning they are quite expensive for living. Not as we are used to in Spain or Portugal indeed. Thanks for your explanation .First I will walk the coastal in Portugal from Porto next year and somebody advised me to walk at the Açores so that is on my list to and than I have planned to go back to Trondheim ,walking.

By the way during our Fjord and Northcape cruise the other day I heard about a nice cruise,starting in Sidney and ending in Auckland with the same ship we sailed to Norway. It is on my list too . As long as we have plans, we have something to live for.

I like the Scandinavian countries very much I used to work there in the eighties and part of the nineties and regulairy we camp there, mostly in Sweden.
The landscape in Norway is fabulous.A deep impression made the Geirangerfjord, south of TrondheimView attachment 12851
Quite close to where I live! Nice mountains for walking:)

Okay I understand what you mean Doug. So it will be a different planning.
I do not think I should opt for the entire walk from Oslo but only should go for one week preferable a part from the trail from Sundsvall in Sweden, starting at the Swedish -Norwegian border. But it is a great pelgrimage ,coming from Oslo. I travelled bussinesswise a lot in the area between Oslo-Bergen-Trondheim and Hamar. And several times we camped there with our camping trailer.
I like the northern countries very much. Have you ever been on Iceland ?
That's a great country for walking too. I rounded it with my car and caravan some years ago . These kind of countries give value for money although and here we are back to the beginning they are quite expensive for living. Not as we are used to in Spain or Portugal indeed. Thanks for your explanation .First I will walk the coastal in Portugal from Porto next year and somebody advised me to walk at the Açores so that is on my list to and than I have planned to go back to Trondheim ,walking.

By the way during our Fjord and Northcape cruise the other day I heard about a nice cruise,starting in Sidney and ending in Auckland with the same ship we sailed to Norway. It is on my list too . As long as we have plans, we have something to live for.
The Sundsvall to Trondheim pilgrimage is in planning for 2016, probably timed to arrive in Trondheim for St Olav's feastday. After that, I have promised to walk Mount Kilimanjaro with my granddaughters, so it might be a few years before I am back in Europe for another long walk.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@anniethenurse thank you. I wasn't aware of this website, but when I heard that this route had opened up, it went onto my must do list. I had thought I would get it done this summer, but my son (and now daughter-in-law) decided to marry, tossing that plan into chaos. I'm now thinking of doing it in the summer of 2016.
I am seriously thinking of walking this pilgrim route in 2016. After reading about it I am so stoked that it is going to be a fantastic walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back