• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St. Olav Way Norway. Best sections.

Time of past OR future Camino
9/2014 Camino Frances. 5/2015 Lepuy. next 6/16 ?
Late August 2018 I’ll be arriving in Oslo and will have a 10 day opportunity to trek on the St Olav Way. Need recommendations which sections. Not keen on climbing mountains all day or carrying food. Each 20 km require accommodation with a meal.
Dovre to Trondheim is the last section, however is the commencement from Oslo to Lillehammer interesting?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Valldal's leden" is my recommendation.....a newly opened.... but historically founded pilgrim path which has it all....fjords....wild nature...tradition....Dovrefjell towards Oppdal and Trondheim included in this one.

Send a mail to pilgrimsenteret in Trondheim as they have a guidebook up for production .

Hans-Jacob Dahl is a pilgrim priest working out of Hjerkinn with in depth knowledge .....

https://www.facebook.com/Pilegrimssenter-Dovrefjell-193882450633658/

Morten Gravdal is also a priest and his wife are terrific hosts living in Valldal and knows everyone.

mortengravdal@hotmail.com

(((This 20 km and a ready made meal is a request that I hope you use somewhat flexible approach to....you are in Norway and logistics is not all there yet....totally worth it though!!!)))

Bon Camino!
God Vandring!
Thanksgiving, I’ll research the links.

Late August 2018 I’ll be arriving in Oslo and will have a 10 day opportunity to trek on the St Olav Way. Need recommendations which sections. Not keen on climbing mountains all day or carrying food. Each 20 km require accommodation with a meal.
Dovre to Trondheim is the last section, however is the commencement from Oslo to Lillehammer interesting?
Hi,

I reccommend Dovre/Dombaas to Oppdal. I did that one 2 years ago. Very nice and it’s about 90 km. Oppdal have train connections to Trondheim/Nidaros cathedral. There are manned albergues avaliable except one refugium where you can get a meal and pay later by paying an invoice for the goods. I will probably work as a hospitaller at the Pilgyimage centar close by.
Take contact if you need some assistance!
Best
Håvard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,

I reccommend Dovre/Dombaas to Oppdal. I did that one 2 years ago. Very nice and it’s about 90 km. Oppdal have train connections to Trondheim/Nidaros cathedral. There are manned albergues avaliable except one refugium where you can get a meal and pay later by paying an invoice for the goods. I will probably work as a hospitaller at the Pilgyimage centar close by.
Take contact if you need some assistance!
Best
Håvard
Many thanks for this valuable information. G

I have no suggestions as I am planning to walk the whole route in August 2018.
However, I am hoping to tag onto this thread to ask people, who have walked St. Olav's Way, how tough the terrain is and if there are isolated areas or is it generally mountainous? I have the St. Olavsleden pilgrim guide, which is great but it doesn't have the terrain maps that we always appreciated in Brierley's guides. Your experience will be really helpful to me in planning!
Thanks,

Hello @AlanHG

I have no suggestions as I am planning to walk the whole route in August 2018.

August is an excellent time for hiking the St Olaf's Way. You will, however, miss the St Olav Festival in Trondheim, which runs from 28/07/2018 to 04/08/2018. Most pilegrims arrive in time for the festival so there may be fewer on the trail.

In Norway summer ends early. The fall semester commences 13/08/2018 and schools return c.20/08/2018. At this time of year one needs to watch the weather forcasts, particularly when approaching Dovre Fjell. It is essential to cross before snow arrives.

However, I am hoping to tag onto this thread to ask people, who have walked St. Olav's Way, how tough the terrain is and if there are isolated areas or is it generally mountainous?

The terrain is varied and, Yes, there are isolated areas. It can be strenuous.

Here is a good site to search: http://pilegrimsleden.no/en/
There are PDF maps, FAQs and an email address where one can send questions. Perhaps the webmaster has a set of profiles.

Cheers
Lovingkindness

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back