• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St. Olav's Way 2019

challis94

Time of past OR future Camino
Gudbrandsdalen (2019)
Myself and two friends are going to be completing the St. Olav's Way from June 17th till 29th, with one of my friends joining us at Lillehammer, anyone know of a easy located landmark there to make an easy meeting?

We are camping the whole route, we have worked out that we can re-supply every 2-3 days, have we done our maths right on that?

I have travelled the coast of Norway for 2 years but never explored the middle! Anyone with any advice or local knowledge please post!

thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Myself and two friends are going to be completing the St. Olav's Way from June 17th till 29th, with one of my friends joining us at Lillehammer, anyone know of a easy located landmark there to make an easy meeting?

We are camping the whole route, we have worked out that we can re-supply every 2-3 days, have we done our maths right on that?

I have travelled the coast of Norway for 2 years but never explored the middle! Anyone with any advice or local knowledge please post!

thanks

Hi Challis94,
I walked St Olav's Way (Oslo to Trondheim) in 2016.
I'd suggest a good meeting place would be Lillehammer Church on Kirkegata. There's actually a St Olav's Way stone marker in the grounds; it's got bushes around it (or did have...). From memory, if you stood at the steeple end of the church with your back to door, its at about a 45deg angle to the right; don't quote me on that but it's definitely there...I found it easily. There are some carparking spaces behind it.
Can't help you with camping queries but I regularly went off-route for supplies...sometimes it was quite a deviation but other times only 500mt or so.
God tur!
👣🌏

Last edited:

The first question is about your dates. If you are only walking for 13 days, from 12 to 29 Jun, the 401 km from Littlehammer to Trondheim is going to be a big ask. Is that what you really mean to do?

I walked in 2012. The longest section without a shop was from Dovre to Oppdal. There are campgrounds and hotels along that section that can provide food, but it was expensive. Otherwise, I think your assessment about being able to resupply every couple of days is reasonable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also did the Pilegrimsleden in summer 2016. Starting from Lilehammer, spread over 3 weeks or so, but I'm ancient. I did the same as you plan, resupplying every 2/3 days, and found it do-able. Camping all the time, mostly on waste ground/open land. Apart from the camp grounds & hotels on the Dovre/Oppdale section, there were basic provisions at the little Ryphusen hut . I thought the campsite cafe at Hageseter did a good 'solid frokost'. Kongsvold did special deals for pilgrims (theyd need to !)
The Norwegian garages are great for basics, and open on Sundays. Beware of Sunday closing at supermarkets-but maybe youve experienced this already !
Another obvious meeting spot in Lilehammer is the front of the rail station. I'd recommend a visit, if youve time, to the Sigrid Undset house & museum (up the hill).
I lost 2 kilo on the route. That was the one plus of Norwegian prices!

I walked from Oslo to Trondheim with a friend in 2008. Carried a tent and basic food - muesli, powdered milk, Kaavli crispbread, liverwurst paste and dried meals. getting food was sometimes a problem so you do need to have a stash. But the fresh bread=, butter and bananas when we got to a town were bliss as was the 1 cab of beer we shared outside a supermarket. Coming from Australia EVERYTHING was expensive! But so beautifual with all the spring flowers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are only walking for 13 days, from 12 to 29 Jun, the 401 km from Littlehammer to Trondheim is going to be a big ask. Is that what you really mean to do?

sorry poor on my behalf.... I meant was 17th June to 29th July.... 12 days to lillehammar and 27 days to Trondheim, we will be having rest days and days were we wont complete many Km's. I have brought Alison Raju's guidebook, I have heard good things about the book.

I have brought Alison Raju's guidebook, I have heard good things about the book.
I used the first edition when it was a decade old and out of print. I have no experience with the current edition.

Olsok activities start in Trondheim on the morning of 28 Jul and I planned my arrival to participate in these both times I have walked. The festival program is worth checking out to see if you want to extend your stay in Trondheim. I did last year, and my wife and I attended a couple of the concerts and other activities over the days following Olsok.

sorry poor on my behalf.... I meant was 17th June to 29th July.... 12 days to lillehammar and 27 days to Trondheim, we will be having rest days and days were we wont complete many Km's. I have brought Alison Raju's guidebook, I have heard good things about the book.
If by Alison Raju's guidebook you mean the one published by Museums-Forlaget in 2015, I suggest you have a back up method to check your position/directions; she tended on occasion to get her LEFTs & RIGHTs muddled up...lead me astray a few times! 😫 😤 😄
👣 🌏

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If by Alison Raju's guidebook you mean the one published by Museums-Forlaget in 2015, I suggest you have a back up method to check your position/directions; she tended on occasion to get her LEFTs & RIGHTs muddled up...lead me astray a few times! 😫😤😄
👣🌏
This wasn't a problem with the earlier Cicerone edition that I used for the bulk of the walk. But many things change in any country or city over the course of a decade, and there had been changes to the route around Oslo in particular where getting up to date information was important. I used a combination of the guide and the really useful detailed mapping that was provided at the time.

It was the same last year walking the S:t Olavsleden. The guidebook I used was published relatively recently, but there had been route changes. These were well publicised, eg in the S:t Olavsleden Facebook group, and in some cases new signage had been erected at key points. Even short term changes like the diversion that was made in one section that I had already walked when it was threatened by a bushfire were quickly notified on the website and FB group.

This wasn't a problem with the earlier Cicerone edition that I used for the bulk of the walk. But many things change in any country or city over the course of a decade, and there had been changes to the route around Oslo in particular where getting up to date information was important. I used a combination of the guide and the really useful detailed mapping that was provided at the time.

It was the same last year walking the S:t Olavsleden. The guidebook I used was published relatively recently, but there had been route changes. These were well publicised, eg in the S:t Olavsleden Facebook group, and in some cases new signage had been erected at key points. Even short term changes like the diversion that was made in one section that I had already walked when it was threatened by a bushfire were quickly notified on the website and FB group.
Hello Doug, I am starting to plan next year the St. Olav Way, am I right in thinking there is a lot less road work on the Oslo to Trondheim route, than the S:T Olavsleden route?
Stu

Hello Doug, I am starting to plan next year the St. Olav Way, am I right in thinking there is a lot less road work on the Oslo to Trondheim route, than the S:T Olavsleden route?
Stu
I presume you mean there is more walking on roads, rather than road construction and maintenance. The simple answer is that I think there was more more road walking on the S:t Olavsleden, mainly in Sweden. But that might be a result of there being more sealed roads and fewer stretches of gris vie or similar gravel and dirt roads. So my impression about the relative amount of roads might be more about the balance of main and secondary roads, and walking paths.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Doug. Yes, I meant walking of paved roads.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back