• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stage 1 question

Amy Cuzzola-Kern

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles (2015), Camino Portugues (2017)
Hello,
Our small group of 5 pilgrims is departing 7 October from El Ferrol to Santiago.
Our planned stages are: Ferrol-Pontedeume-Betanzos-Hospital de Bruma-Sigueiro-Santiago.
My question is: are there two possible paths - a northern route through Neda approximately 29K, and a second (more direct 16K) and easterly route to Fene and then south to Pontedeume for the first stage? Would either of these routes be sufficient for the Compostela?

I ask this because our arrival to Ferrol will be a long journey (flying into Madrid from Buffalo, NY and then by car from Madrid to El Ferrol). The shorter distance, if possible may be preferable despite we are a fit group of women.

Finally, I want to thank all of you for posting very useful information on the English Way on this site. It has helped tremendously with our planning.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Amy, the route around the bay to Xubia is certainly long enough to qualify for the Compostela. There is at least one bridge that cuts across the estuary to shorten the stage considerably although I don't know whether that brings the total distance down below the required 100km. As you are able to obtain stamps in Ferrol and Pontedeume and places in between it would be difficult to determine the exact route you had taken anyway.

This thread gives some further detail on the shortcut across the bridge and one of the poster's states that he was still able to receive a Compostela, although the route across the bridge is not officially recognised as part of the Camino route.

Buen Camino to you and your group
Mig

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Amy, the route around the bay to Xubia is certainly long enough to qualify for the Compostela. There is at least one bridge that cuts across the estuary to shorten the stage considerably although I don't know whether that brings the total distance down below the required 100km. As you are able to obtain stamps in Ferrol and Pontedeume and places in between it would be difficult to determine the exact route you had taken anyway.

This thread gives some further detail on the shortcut across the bridge and one of the poster's states that he was still able to receive a Compostela, although the route across the bridge is not officially recognised as part of the Camino route.

Buen Camino to you and your group
Mig
Just done this route. They dissuade you from crossing the bridge with stern "desvio" signs.But you can and you'll still do more than 100k. Buen Camino

hmmm - I think we'd like to stay on the official route. Would you mind sharing your first stage? Was it Ferrol - Pontedeume? And how many K/miles was your first day? Thank you.

We have broken the first day by stopping at Neda/Narón. There is an albergue at Neda and the 'Red bus' mobile cafe calls there each day. There are hostals and hotels 2km before Neda at Narón - we stayed in the Kensington as recommended in Johnnie Walker's guide. That gives 16km for the first day - getting to the harbour side and walking to Neda. Then Pontedeume next day, or you could go to Miño, 9km further and stay at the albergue or the Pension O Cantiño. Then Betanzos or the new albergue at Presedo, Bruma/Meson do Vento etc. We made our stages by using Johnnie's guide and combining sections to make our own days.

You can download the guide - link from here on the forum - for a donation. There is also additional information recently updated on Gronze

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hmmm - I think we'd like to stay on the official route. Would you mind sharing your first stage? Was it Ferrol - Pontedeume? And how many K/miles was your first day? Thank you.
I did Ferrol to Pontedeume the first day, leaving Ferrol at 8am, and with two stops for a beer and then a picnic. Although it's approx 31k (according to Johnnie Walker) it was very easy, and I was at Pontedeume by 3pm (and I'm a geriatric of 68). It is pretty well way-marked. Actaully the second day from Pontedeume to Betanzos (only 20k) seemed much harder - it was hot, and lots of up and down.

Hello,
Our small group of 5 pilgrims is departing 7 October from El Ferrol to Santiago.
Our planned stages are: Ferrol-Pontedeume-Betanzos-Hospital de Bruma-Sigueiro-Santiago.
My question is: are there two possible paths - a northern route through Neda approximately 29K, and a second (more direct 16K) and easterly route to Fene and then south to Pontedeume for the first stage? Would either of these routes be sufficient for the Compostela?

I ask this because our arrival to Ferrol will be a long journey (flying into Madrid from Buffalo, NY and then by car from Madrid to El Ferrol). The shorter distance, if possible may be preferable despite we are a fit group of women.

Finally, I want to thank all of you for posting very useful information on the English Way on this site. It has helped tremendously with our planning.

Hi Amy :)

We'll be walking the Camino Ingles starting from Ferrol on Sunday 11th. Our planned stages are: Ferrol-Pontedueme-Hospital de Bruma-Santiago, so that's in 3 days. Then we'll proceed with the Camino Finisterre :)

Guess you'll be a couple of days ahead.

Wishing you a Buen Camino.

Joseph

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We'll be walking the Camino Ingles starting from Ferrol on Sunday 11th. Our planned stages are: Ferrol-Pontedueme-Hospital de Bruma-Santiago, so that's in 3 days. Then we'll proceed with the Camino Finisterre :)
Joseph

Impressive distances Joseph - that's about 48kms on day 2 and 40kms on day 3. I've walked from Hospital de Bruma to Santiago (your day 3) in one day and found it OK as it's reasonably flat. Your day 2 will be a lot more challenging, so best of luck! Buen Camino.

Impressive distances Joseph - that's about 48kms on day 2 and 40kms on day 3. I've walked from Hospital de Bruma to Santiago (your day 3) in one day and found it OK as it's reasonably flat. Your day 2 will be a lot more challenging, so best of luck! Buen Camino.

Thanks. Unfortunately we're pressed with time and we intend to do both Ingles and Finisterre in 6 days. It will be a challenge but doable :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

How did the 3-day Ingles go ?
I'm tempted by the same, but concerned it's a bit much.

How did the 3-day Ingles go ?
I'm tempted by the same, but concerned it's a bit much.

We did it! Although I have to admit it was tough, very tough... but very much worth it...

Our stages were as follows:
Ferrol-Mino
Mino-Bruma
Bruma-Santiago

Then we proceeded to Finisterre in 2 days stopping in Mazaricos.

Both Caminos were different and amazing. Beautiful scenery and especially the Ingles wasn't crowded. There were quite a few steep uphills, and the bars/cafes are very distant from each other along the route, so one must be prepared especially with water. Although I have to say also the water in the fountains was also very good and refreshing. We were also very lucky with the weather, as we only experienced rain on the first day. The rest was beautiful :)

The negative points was that in our opinion the Camino Ingles is at times not so properly marked with distant signage and some quite easily to miss. Also the fact that there's no markings on the 'milestones' it was a bit of a disappointment, especially after having done the Frances and the Portuguese. Also we believe that the distance found online and from other sources is incorrect. As one finds lots of discrepancies in distances from one source to the other, it makes it difficult to know which may be correct. We used to start walking at around 7:00am till about 8:00pm, so that would mean at least around 12 hours walking at quite a good pace. I would say that with such pace and time we used to cover 45-48km daily.

I'll recommend the Camino Ingles to anyone, but based on at least 5 days or more. Together with the Finisterre, I believe it's more beautiful than the part of the Francaise and Portuguese which I have experienced. It's also easily achievable to those whom like me are limited with the days off from work :)

I still have to upload photos as we have just returned today. Will share once uploaded :)

Last edited:
The distant markers unfortunately are taken by "souvenir hunters":rolleyes:
However it was your camino and your choice to walk up 12 hours and up to 48 kms a day I wonder if you can enjoy such a camino.
Anyway your report is not an average of what others think to expect of this pariculary caminho.
But I admire your endurance.
Thanks for sharing. Waiting for your pictures !

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The distant markers unfortunately are taken by "souvenir hunters":rolleyes:
However it was your camino and your choice to walk up 12 hours and up to 48 kms a day I wonder if you can enjoy such a camino.
Anyway your report is not an average of what others think to expect of this pariculary caminho.
But I admire your endurance.
Thanks for sharing. Waiting for your pictures !

I agree. Given the choice I would spread it in at least 5 days as it would give us much more time to enjoy it. Still it was a beautiful journey and I loved every second of it.

Mainly the reason behind our Camino is as we intend to take a group of pilgrims, doing various Caminos in May with the intention of raising funds for charity. We have already raised €28,000 and €60,000 and we plan to increase that amount in May. As we haven't tried the Camino Ingles and want to give it as an option, we went trailblazing before taking the group :)

In May our Camino Ingles will be based on 5 days, a day rest in Santiago, and then 3 days to Fisterra :)

I agree. Given the choice I would spread it in at least 5 days as it would give us much more time to enjoy it. Still it was a beautiful journey and I loved every second of it.

Mainly the reason behind our Camino is as we intend to take a group of pilgrims, doing various Caminos in May with the intention of raising funds for charity. We have already raised €28,000 and €60,000 and we plan to increase that amount in May. As we haven't tried the Camino Ingles and want to give it as an option, we went trailblazing before taking the group :)

In May our Camino Ingles will be based on 5 days, a day rest in Santiago, and then 3 days to Fisterra :)
That is a good reason to raise funds for charity and to try the trail out on beforehand
Wish you good luck !
Looking forward to your pictures. Hope you had time to stand still while pushing the exposure knob of your camera :p

Buen camino

That is a good reason to raise funds for charity and to try the trail out on beforehand
Wish you good luck !
Looking forward to your pictures. Hope you had time to stand still while pushing the exposure knob of your camera :p

Buen camino

Seems I still found some time to snap some photos :p

Here are a few if you would like to have a look :)

Camino Ingles:
Day 1 - Ferrol to Miño
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10156227276690437.1073741993.541700436&type=1&l=9bd8fc5b54

Day 2 - Miño to Bruma
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10156228117265437.1073741994.541700436&type=1&l=f0aec3b8d4

Day 3 - Bruma to Santiago
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10156229667665437.1073741995.541700436&type=1&l=7ed8763e8b

Camino Finisterre:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10156236073700437.1073741998.541700436&type=1&l=1ced3e4b1b

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did Ferrol to Pontedeume the first day, leaving Ferrol at 8am, and with two stops for a beer and then a picnic. Although it's approx 31k (according to Johnnie Walker) it was very easy, and I was at Pontedeume by 3pm (and I'm a geriatric of 68). It is pretty well way-marked. Actaully the second day from Pontedeume to Betanzos (only 20k) seemed much harder - it was hot, and lots of up and down.
I agree, I also walked from Ferrol to Pontedeume and it was easier than expected. Day 2 though was tough - VERY up and down!

Hello,

Hello,

Hi there, I am planing to start the Ingles on Nov 9, so I guess you guys will be going ahead of me. Please post as you guys are walking.

Buen Camino,

Texasguy

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back