• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stages and albergues on the Camino Frances

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What an excellent resource! Thanks for all your hard work! This will be a great benefit to hundreds, if not thousands, of pilgrims!

Thanks for this, Ivar! I've had so much fun rating the albergues :) And now I can clearly see which ones I want to stay in when I walk in April/May this year. (wild applause!)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Amazing!!
Well done, can only imagine the amount of work that went into this fabulous resource.
Thank you :D

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Wow, Ivar, thanks so much for doing this. I can't imagine how you can do it all and still have time for a day job. We really appreciate it.

By the way, if you care to expand beyond the Camino Frances, know that there are lots of us with long lists of recommended and not-recommended places to stay on the other Caminos, too. :)

peregrina2000 said:
Wow, Ivar, thanks so much for doing this. I can't imagine how you can do it all and still have time for a day job. We really appreciate it.

By the way, if you care to expand beyond the Camino Frances, know that there are lots of us with long lists of recommended and not-recommended places to stay on the other Caminos, too. :)
This is a good idea.. if we do we have a list of albergues and some basic info for each albergue on other routes, I can add this as well..

The Camino Frances section I just added is also optimized for mobile devices... I am tweaking it still, but should look ok on mobile devices now.

Saludos,
Ivar

What a useful resource; many thanks indeed!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ivar

Many thanks for the great work, makes me feel tired just thinking about the hard work you must have put in to compile, up to us now to make it work by posting reviews and where appropriate comments so viewers can get the best value from your much appreciated effort.

Seamus

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
supersullivan said:
Ivar

Many thanks for the great work, makes me feel tired just thinking about the hard work you must have put in to compile, up to us now to make it work by posting reviews and where appropriate comments so viewers can get the best value from your much appreciated effort.

Seamus
Well, the compilation of albergues was done by David (BlackDog in the forum) and Arlene (amourier in the forum) and you can see it all this this pdf.
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-d ... o-frances/
..what I did was convert this into a web format... that also took its time, and I am still not done since I would like to add to this things that you can not add in a pdf document. Like rating, the possibilities for leaving a comment for each albergue... a map with the location of each albergue and maybe a weather report for that day... some of this is done, some is on my to-do-list.

As I mentioned before, it has been optimized for mobile devices for those that use this while walking.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Excellent Ivar . Thank You !

great work and soooooooooooooooo! usefull \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\thanks I will be using it for my walk (sarria to SdeC) mid May with my son
Gerry

For people using this tool to pick out where to stay on the Camino Frances, consider:

The quality of an albergue experience depends on many factors, such as the workability and functionality of the facilities, the hospitality of the hospitalero, the cleanliness on any given day, the other pilgrims sharing the space, and who ends up in the bed next to you.

Things change - daily, weekly, monthly. An albergue that received a 1-star rating may now be the best place on the trail, and vice versa.

Because these reviews are highly subjective, perhaps also consult this thread: el-camino-frances/topic10443.html

...and then be prepared to make every albergue experience a great one!

(Just food for thought.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you, for all you do for us Ivar. We are all set up, living USA friday night and been in Pamplona saturday June 8. and start el Camino next day, sunday june 8. I would like to know if is a number of stamps on the passport in order to be able to stay in any albergue a day.
Miria

MiriaBD said:
... I would like to know if is a number of stamps on the passport in order to be able to stay in any albergue a day. Miria

I am not sure if I understand your question right, Mira. If you refer to the pilgrim's passport (credencial) it will get stamped automatically when you check-into an albergue. The hospitaleros at the starting points know that people that start there will have an "empty" credencial without stamps. Closer to Santiago it is advisable to get two stamps a day, one in the place where you sleep and a second one during the day, for example in a Church. Does that answer your question? SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, thanks SYates. , the credencial. We want to take the train from Lizarra to Burgos, stay a night and next day Burgos - Sarria. From Sarria, we will walk to Santiago de Compostela. We have only 10 days.
I afraid not being able to slepp in a Albergue for not walk one day, because I dont have at least one stam that day. thanks, Miria

MiriaBD said:
Yes, thanks SYates. , the credencial. We want to take the train from Lizarra to Burgos, stay a night and next day Burgos - Sarria. From Sarria, we will walk to Santiago de Compostela. We have only 10 days.
I afraid not being able to slepp in a Albergue for not walk one day, because I dont have at least one stam that day. thanks, Miria

I don't think you will be able to stay in the albergue in Burgos in that case, as you don't start walking from there, but you will be able, if there is place, to stay in one of the albergues in Sarria, SY

PS What is your native language? I might be speaking it too ...

hello miria,

if you are starting in burgos, make sure you have a credencial del camino. check in at the municipal albergue and get your first sello (stamp). when you get to sarria, get your credential stamped at the municipal albergue where you will be staying. also get a couple more sellos in sarria. from sarria onwards to sdc, get as many sellos as possible, at least a minimum of 2, from the albergue, cafe-bars, ayuntamiento (town hall), police station, guardia civil office, church, etc. this is in order to get a compostela. you must walk the last 100 kms on foot to sdc. the onus is on you to prove to the volunteers at the pilgrim office that you have met the requirements for the compostela.

buenas suerte y que tengan un buen camino. que dios os bendiga.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,
I am about to start my Camino on first of July and as a big traveler I want to camp as much as possible. Instead of a reason of saving money I realy want to experience how it was for people in medieval tiems who could not come to any hostels etc.
I am very responsible traveler and camper so the place where I sleep is always in same conditons as before.
I am not writing this post so everybody can tell me off this idea, but I was just wondering if somebody has any experience with it please ? For instance I arrive in St Jean in the late evening and would it be possible to keep low profile and sleep in nearby forest forexample ?

Re: What if everyone did it?

Sometimes it is worth visualizing the impact of everyone doing what one person has Imagined. Hundreds of pilgrims wild camping in St. Jean Pied de Port would either lead to long morning lines at the bars, or latrines everywhere. There are several campgrounds in SJPdP where human waste is properly handled. If you use one of them, you can prevent a modern outbreak of typhus. One of the reasons for hospitals a thousand years ago was to prevent human dung everywhere. Perhaps you can support that authenticity.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back