A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Stages from Leon and luggage question from a first timer

holhum

Camino(s) past & future
Planning for Leon to Santiago June 2019
I am seeing the travel agent tomorrow to book my trip for next year, so hoping for some advice. I am doing a coach tour of Croatia, a cruise out of and returning to Rome, then flying to...Madrid?...to travel on to Leon and walk for up to 3 weeks during June. Jamming a lot in as I am coming from Australia.

First question is, will there be somewhere at Madrid airport or maybe train station where I can leave my suitcase safely (I plan to fly home from Madrid)? I plan to walk with just a 30 litre backpack. Other question is, can anyone share with me suggested stages to do if I can only manage 15 - 20km a day as a usual maximum? I have plantar fasciitis that is bound to be an issue if I attempt long days over this period. And I am thinking I will need some rest days. If not I will walk on to Finisterre if time allows, but Santiago is the goal. Thank you!

Camino(s) past & future
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
Planning for an easy route, mainly avoiding albergues!

8 (Fri) Leon by bus

9 (Sat) by bus to Virgen; walk to Villar de Mazariife; 13.7 kms

10 (Sun) Hospital; Hostal Don Suero Quinones by bridge

11 (Mon) Astorga;

12 (Tues) Santa Catalina; 10 kms

13 (Wed) Rabanal del Camino; 11 kms The Stone Boat B&B

14 (Thur) Acebo; 15 kms

15 (Fri) Molinaseca; 11.5 kms

16 (Sat) Ponferrada

17 (Sun) Cacabelos; 16 kms (part by bus?) Hotel Moncloa de San Lazro

18 (Mon) Villafranca del Bierzo

19 (Tues) Ambasmestas?

20 (Wed) O’Cebreiro?

21 (Thur) Triacastela; 21.3 kms Complejo Xacaobeo single rooms €37 Restaurant Mirador recommended.

22 (Fri) Sarria; 18.7 kms

23 (Sat) Ferrerios; 13.3 kms

24 (Sun) Portomarin; 9.1 kms Pousada de Portomarin

25 (Mon) Lestedo Rectoral; visit Vilar de Donas Church 4.6 kms detour there & back.

26 (Tues) Melide

27 (Wed) Ribadiso

28 (Thur) Salceda; Pousada de Salceda

29 (Fri) Vilamaior; Casa de Amancio

30 (Sat) Santiago; San Martin Pinario; Hotel Capital Galicia?

Glenshiro

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy - Burgos, Camino Frances (2012 - 2018)
Welcome to the website!

Madrid airport has a left luggage service.

However, if you are staying in a hotel near the airport before and after your trip, ask if you can leave your bag there for your return.

As a fellow plantar fasciitis sufferer, you have my sympathy! Fortunately, it has not recurred for some time, thanks to insoles in my boots.

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Hi,

there are various spanish websites which offer planning-tools.

Planning-tool 1

Planning-tool 2

Leon-Santiago is about 320 km, so an average of 15-16 km/day.

For further Information on the route (distances, villages, elevation etc.) and alternative accomodation, not only albergues, you may consult this website:

Gronze

BC
Alexandra

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (Planning)
Hello, fellow Aussie!

When I did my CF, I left my suitcase for 2 weeks at the 'consigna' (luggage storage) in the Madrid Airport. Although practical, it was VERY expensive - around 100 euro.

For less money, I learned later that I could have sent my suitcase by Spanish Post (Correos) to Ivar, who runs this forum and a storage service in Santiago, and have my things with me at my arrival. To know more about this service, check here: http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/

Another option, as mentioned above, is to enquire if you can leave it at your hotel. A third option is to have it carried for you along the way by transport companies, very common in very city of the way.

As for the stages, 15km-20km day is very doable, check Gronze website for a list of accomodation in every city to help you plan your walk: https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances

Camino(s) past & future
Frances April-May 2018
Planning 2019
If you stay in a Hotel in Madrid they will be happy to keep your luggage as laong as you have a room booked.
We stayed at an AC and when we returned our luggage was waiting in our room.
Buen Camino

sunshines

Camino(s) past & future
camino de portuguese (2018)
camino Frances (portion) (2019)
camino primitivo/Frances (2019)
gronze is very very helpful it shows you the level of difficulty the amount of nature and the incline decline .... you could actually do part of the madrid walk and part of the frances walk it depends your ultimate goal .. the french walk has a backpack forwarding service so you dont even have to carry 30lts

I didnt know what plantar fasciitis was I looked it up... goodness 15-20kms with backpack sounds like a marathon in itself wow I admire you I cant even walk that long over a sustained distance ( like you want to) and I only have flat feet ( not much arch)

Ive looked at about 10 or more camino websites and gronze is the best of them in my opinion :)

Camino(s) past & future
2015 Frances, 2017 Frances, (2019 ???)
Hi,

there are various spanish websites which offer planning-tools.

Planning-tool 1

Planning-tool 2

Leon-Santiago is about 320 km, so an average of 15-16 km/day.

For further Information on the route (distances, villages, elevation etc.) and alternative accomodation, not only albergues, you may consult this website:

Gronze

BC
Alexandra
Use the Chrome browser for Gronze and it is in English.

Peace be with you.

holhum

Camino(s) past & future
Planning for Leon to Santiago June 2019
If you stay in a Hotel in Madrid they will be happy to keep your luggage as laong as you have a room booked.
We stayed at an AC and when we returned our luggage was waiting in our room.
Buen Camino
Excuse my ignorance, but what is an AC? Thanks!

Camino(s) past & future
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
Staying near the airport is not a good idea! From T4, buses are waiting to take you to Northern Spanish destinations such as Burgos in a couple of hours. Or, take a local train to Chamartin Mainline Station and go northwards from there. On the return journey, it is easy to stay in a hotel right next to Chamartin and then you can be at Barajas Airport in half an hour.

Cayou

Camino(s) past & future
2015 Villafranca to Santiago
2016 St Jean to Los Arcos
2018 24-Sept Leon to Finnisterre
From Leon I’d bus, taxi, or hitchhike and begin in Hospital de Obrego unless you like a whole bunch of hard surface and tarmac. Just me reflecting back only 5 days ago ...

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
From Leon I’d bus, taxi, or hitchhike and begin in Hospital de Obrego unless you like a whole bunch of hard surface and tarmac. Just me reflecting back only 5 days ago ...
Or unless you like the feeling of walking the whole thing, the hard parts and the easy parts, the pretty parts and the not so pretty parts.

Mark McCarthy

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2014 2015
Lourdes 2 SdC 2016
Sarria 2 SdC April&Oct 2016 & (April 2018)
Camino Baztan June 2017
It is worth spending at least a day in León itself. My favourite hotel there is Spa Hotel Paris on Calle Ancha. After León I would take the left route via Vilar de Mazarife (Albergue de Jesus is one of my favourite albergues) and then on to Villares de Orbigo where the albergue is run by a lovely Belgian woman. After that I would head to Astorga and then on to the British albergue in Rabanal and then on to the albergue with a pool in El Acebo. I would then have two lazy days to Ponferrada via Molinaseca.

Cayou

Camino(s) past & future
2015 Villafranca to Santiago
2016 St Jean to Los Arcos
2018 24-Sept Leon to Finnisterre
And there I was thinking it was a hotel with air conditioning. :)
Agreed, but the OP noted a foot injury so just trying to assist. In Villafranca del Bierzo tonight and we have encountered 2 40/50 yr old women off to hospital in past 6 days with series leg swelling. Hoping not DVT or stress fractures??

sunshines

Camino(s) past & future
Agreed, but the OP noted a foot injury so just trying to assist. In Villafranca del Bierzo tonight and we have encountered 2 40/50 yr old women off to hospital in past 6 days with series leg swelling. Hoping not DVT or stress fractures??
What is a stress fracture? thanks

sunshines

Camino(s) past & future
Small break in bone from over stress. Painful.
ah so many many people have brain fractures too on a daily basis...

I think my friend had a stress fracture she was out of action for about three months.

sunshines

Camino(s) past & future
ah so many many people have brain fractures too on a daily basis...

I think my friend had a stress fracture she was out of action for about three months.
this is another good reason to use the mochilla service if you are not in the prime physically me thinks

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%