• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

stamp/credencial in Lisbon

BZBperegrino

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Portugues May 2016
A uestion about starting in Lisbon and getting the first stamp. This will be my first Caminho so I am a newbie here...

I am arriving in Lisbon on May 3rd and wanting to start my Caminho right away on the 4th. Since I will be arriving quite late (19.00h), I will probably not be on time to get my first stamp/credencial in my Pilgrims Passport. I was wondering if it is a problem for the pilgrim hostels/albergues if you do not have the first stamp. (I bought my passport in advance)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A uestion about starting in Lisbon and getting the first stamp. This will be my first Caminho so I am a newbie here...

I am arriving in Lisbon on May 3rd and wanting to start my Caminho right away on the 4th. Since I will be arriving quite late (19.00h), I will probably not be on time to get my first stamp/credencial in my Pilgrims Passport. I was wondering if it is a problem for the pilgrim hostels/albergues if you do not have the first stamp. (I bought my passport in advance)

Hi, BZB,

Welcome to the forum!

You will be able to get carimbos (stamps) in many places -- any commercial establishment has them. In fact, you should also be able to get a stamp from the place where you spent the night. For the first few stages from Lisboa, there aren't many albergues anyway so you will be collecting them from other places anyway. If you are by chance staying in the Pensao Prata in Lisbon (which seems to be becoming the "go to" pilgrim place in Lisbon), the bar/cafe right across the street has a very nice stamp in the shape of a fish with a Caminho designation.

My girlfriend wants her first stamp to be from the Cathedral da Se in Lisbon even if we are starting from Coimbra. What is the procedure to get a stamp at the Cathedral?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My girlfriend wants her first stamp to be from the Cathedral da Se in Lisbon even if we are starting from Coimbra. What is the procedure to get a stamp at the Cathedral?

I got my first carimbo from a gentleman who was selling credentials, postcards, etc., inside the Se. I think it was a right turn after entering the main door.

Yes, our local Pilgrim's Association stamps our Credencial with our local stamp before presenting them to us.

I also received my first stamp at the Se in Lisbon. Upon emtering tje Cathedral I turned to the right and the nice man gladly stamped my credential. I think there are so few people that start in Lisbon that he has a sence of pride and thanksgiving to be a part of such a significant journey for you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Albertino for this information, I am taking notes!

One question, since you seem to know Portugal well. I would like to take a bus touur to go and visit Fatima. Is it better to do it from Saratem or Tomar??

We will both have them stamped at the Cathedral, before we take the train to Coimbra.

Where does one get a credencial in Lisbon?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all,

Such great information once again. Will be starting from Lisbon in June. Now I know a little more thanks to all of you. Very much appreciate this.

At the cathedral

That is, provided they are not out of them. I remember that last year in springtime there was a time when none were available, till our pal JL headed up to Santiago to get a big batch of them. If possible, I would suggest getting the credential at home, either via Ivar's store or from your home country association. That just eliminates one little headache. Igreja dos Martires (in Chiado right near the metro) also may have them, but last year they were out as well. Bom Caminho, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That is, provided they are not out of them. I remember that last year in springtime there was a time when none were available, till our pal JL headed up to Santiago to get a big batch of them. If possible, I would suggest getting the credential at home, either via Ivar's store or from your home country association. That just eliminates one little headache. Igreja dos Martires (in Chiado right near the metro) also may have them, but last year they were out as well. Bom Caminho, Laurie
Yes Laurie , I agree with you ordering the credential at Ivar's store or at CSJ in Cambridge UK but on the other hand two of our three credentials were bought at the Sé cathedral in Lisbon and when we started our first caminho in Lisbon -with a CSJ bought one- there were plenty for sale at the booth in the church.

Within about two weeks we will be in Lisbon and I will have a look at the Sé if they still have the credentials available.

Bom caminho

The Cathedral is short on Credentials.
Hopefully this weekend a new batch will arrive.
So after Monday 26 no need to worry about credentials in Lisboa.
And in a couple of weeks, or even earlier, a new Albergue in Alpriate, 20 km from the Cathedral, on the way to Vila Franca de Xira.

And in a couple of weeks, or even earlier, a new Albergue in Alpriate, 20 km from the Cathedral, on the way to Vila Franca de Xira.

Thanks JLuis, i am interested in this new information, it is very helpful, since those 30 + stages are too far for me, so all new albergues would be very welcome!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

If the cathedral is short on credentials, the silver lining is that there must be a lot of people heading out from Lisboa. Maybe the days of being totally alone after Lisboa are behind us.

If you need any help painting or cleaning or getting that albergue ready, I have Saturday, April 29 wide open!

Your'e scheduled for a visit to the Albergue.
Bring broom, soap, etc :)
See you Wednesday 27 by the stairs of the Cathedral

Hugs
JoséLuis

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back