Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Stamp

Theo59

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2022
Hi
In case an Albergue has not available bed or in case one decides to sleep in a tent, what about stamps?

D

Deleted member 67185

Hi
In case an Albergue has not available bed or in case one decides to sleep in a tent, what about stamps?
Almost any bar, lodging facility, post office, police station, city hall, church (when open), etc will have a sello that can stamp your Credencial. And even if an albergue is completo, they will still give you a stamp.

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Bars, cafes, shops, churches, police stations, tourist information offices,...... Most Spanish businesses have a sello.

Theo59

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2022
So... No need to worry about full albergues. Thank you for replies.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Worry? Worry? Theo, and by the way what a momentous name! - worry isn’t part of camino! You either follow your nose and take what you get, or you book: don’t waste precious energy worrying!

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019
Most pilgrims do not think of this, but ANY business is going to have a rubber stamp with their business name, address, and perhaps phone number. This is so they can provide receipts to vendors, or to customers if the electronic means of creating tax records at the point of sale goes away. It happens...

So, on past Caminos, I have obtained daily stamps / sellos to establish my presence, and continued geographical and chronological progress on a Camino route, at shops, cafes, a beauty shop (peliquiera), bodega (winery), gasoline filling station convenience store, and even a police station once. The variety is limited only by your imagination and flexibility. Add a date (fecha), and you have a 'legal" Camino stamp.

If you need a sello / stamp, it can be found.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ELHS220

Camino(s) past & future
Francés - 2015, 2017
Norte (Oviedo Costa) - 2018
Finisterre/Muxía - 2018
Norte - (2019)
I became a big fan of Post Office stamps. Some of them had two varieties, the standard cancellation stamp (matasellos), and a larger more touristic one. If you are interested in postage stamps, you can ask to see what they have, pick a pretty one, pay for it, affix it to your credential, and have it stamped with the dated cancellation. Unfortunately, as is so often the case in Spain, the big monkey wrench in this endeavor is the ubiquitous CLOSED (cerrado) sign. Most post offices, even in the larger towns, slam their doors shut for the day at 1400. And those located in smaller locales have VERY limited hours, in some cases only an hour or two a day and often not EVERY day. And forget Saturdays and Sundays altogether. So your collection will, of necessity, be quite incomplete, but it is fun (and frustrating for sure) to get as many as you can.

Attachments

Theo59

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2022
Thank you all for replies.

Ps Kirkie, speaking about names, you know that yours appears first time about 2800 years ago , in Homer's Odyssey, don't you? I found it strange , but then I remembered James Joyce and his Odysseus. :)

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Theo, a common expression here is: are you serious? Or are you delerious? Seriously? I have to do one of two things. Ask one of my brothers, who turned to classics in his senior years. Or, look it up myself. Kirkie is a local version of the name of my town, Kirkintilloch, which is at the western end of the Antonine Wall. According to my very long ago superficial student teacher research work, it means Fort at the End of the Ridge. Anyone with a bit of Gaelic or Gallic could correct or affirm - caerpentalloch is how it looks in my head.
And by the way, no albergue will deny you a stamp. You have a few years to ask all your questions, so keep them coming!

Theo59

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2022
Theo, a common expression here is: are you serious? Or are you delerious? Seriously? I have to do one of two things. Ask one of my brothers, who turned to classics in his senior years. Or, look it up myself. Kirkie is a local version of the name of my town, Kirkintilloch, which is at the western end of the Antonine Wall. According to my very long ago superficial student teacher research work, it means Fort at the End of the Ridge. Anyone with a bit of Gaelic or Gallic could correct or affirm - caerpentalloch is how it looks in my head.
And by the way, no albergue will deny you a stamp. You have a few years to ask all your questions, so keep them coming!
I cheked it.

Same sound, different spelling. Mea culpa.

Thank you for replying

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock