• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

stamping credencials

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
This should be my last question! Thanks so much for all the help given to this point.

I have seen two opposing views on having your credencial stamped - one says it must be every day, the other says you need 100 stamps regardless of where you start.
Who is right?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've never seen the 100 stamps thing. Everything I've read has said you must have 1 stamp a day and for the last 100 *KMs* you must have 2 stamps per day. This is to qualify for the certificate.

When you arrive in Santiago the good people in the pilgrims office will inspect your credential before issuing the Compostela certificate. They always check to see where everyone has begun their journey and register the departure point for their own records but they only actually scrutinize the last 100 kilometers, perhaps the source of your 100 concept. From Sarria do make sure your credential is stamped twice a day, any restaurant or bar, the Ayuntamiento (city hall) of large villages or towns, even the police station in most places passed along the way will be happy to stamp your credential along with the albergue-pension-hotel you stop over come evening are all you need. In Portugal it is more difficult to find a sello but the Post Office was always happy to oblige. The credential remains with you and often is just as enjoyable as a photo album in order to recall your pilgrimage, if you are not going on to Fistera, best to roll it up with your Compostela in Santiago and slip them together into the tube they sell there in the office-1 Euro.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's just dawned on me, with eleven of you you might need to add a day with all that extra time for stamping :lol:

You only need two stamps minimum for the last 100 kms (Johnnie Walker will confirm) for each of you! & I can imagine your children going beserk & getting lots & lots of stamps and therefore you'll need @ least one extra credential for the 'keen' ones.
Buen Camino
David

We always asked for a sello each evening where we were staying, and also next morning at the first coffee stop. That gave us 2 a day over all our Camino and ensured it was habit by the last 100kms. We also have sellos from churches, museums visited in addition to these. A lovely record of our Camino.
On occasion (twice last year, once this), where there were no bars etc, when we stopped for a snack and saw someone local we asked them to sign our credenciales, and add the place name.
The Pilgrims Office will be aware of difficulties faced on some Caminos (eg Inglés) and accepted these, although we would not recommend this in place of available sellos.
Just make sure you have either plenty of room in your credenciales, count the spaces, or carry some extra paper with you. We copied an extra 'double sided' sheet of our CSJ credenciales to tuck in if needed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
abbeydore and most of the rest of us are familiar with the dreaded tour-igrim who suddenly appears in large flocks on long weekends, festival and national holidays. Great numbers of people sometimes on the Camino more often in a minivan who descend on restaurants, albergues, and bars. Their drivers are well trained and can stamp 30-40 credentials in less time then you can order a cup of coffee. 11 credencials? Childsplay.

If you are staying in Albergues you need proof that you are authentic pilgrims, though as Scruffy says there are plenty of tourigrinos who have it off to a fine art.

I find that my credencials are more important to me than the Compostela, they are a wonderful souvenir and reminder of places that I stopped or visited, some of the sellos are pretty plain, some are works of art, some have good memories, some less good, but they are the reminder of the whole walk. As others have said: You only need 2 sellos per day from Sarria to qualify for the Compostela.
Buen camino
Sue

You need the credential to stay in many albergues (most?).

You do not need any sellos.

If you want a Compostela at the end, you need two sellos a day for the last 100 km, one from the albergue where you stay to show you were somewhere overnight, and one from a place that is not next door to the albergue!! You do not need any prior to the last 100km if you don't want them. Bars, chapels, hotels, and open churches usually have them, but so do restaurants, mayors' office, tourist offices, supermarkets, retail stores, and some police/Guardia Civil stations.
La aparición de los vehículos a motor y, ya en nuestro siglo, la popularización del turismo, significó una cierta crisis para la peregrinación: se temía que el esfuerzo y el sacrificio en expiación de los pecados que hasta este momento significó la peregrinación a pie dejara paso a una actividad placentera y agradable en que emplear las vacaciones. Tal fue el caso que las autoridades en otros santuarios comenzaron a expedir certificados de visita imitando a La Compostela. (Tal es el caso de Tierra Santa, donde expide un certificado el Ministerio de Turismo israelí.). El Cabildo de la Iglesia Metropolitana de Santiago siguió expidiendo el certificado y en la época moderna se limitó la concesión de la “Compostela” a aquellos que acuden a la Tumba del Apóstol por motivo religioso y/o espiritual, y siguiendo las rutas del Camino de Santiago a pie, en bicicleta o a caballo. Para ello se exige haber recorrido como mínimo los últimos 100 kilómetros a pie o a caballo o también los últimos 200 en bicicleta, lo cual se demuestra con la evidencia de la “credencial del peregrino” debidamente sellada a lo largo de la ruta recorrida. Quedan excluidas, por tanto, otras formas de desplazamiento para acceder a la Compostela, excepto cuando se trate de discapacitados.

Para conseguir la “Compostela” se debe:

Hacer la peregrinación por motivos religiosos o espirituales
Hacer a pie o a caballo los últimos 100 Km. o los últimos 200 km. en bicicleta. Se entiende que la peregrinación comienza en un punto y desde ahí se viene a visitar la Tumba de Santiago.
Se deben reunir sellos de los lugares por los que se va pasando en la “Credencial del Peregrino”, que es la certificación de paso. Se prefieren los sellos de iglesias, albergues, monasterios, catedrales y todos los lugares relacionados con el Camino, pero ante la ausencia de éstos, también se puede sellar en otras instituciones: ayuntamientos, cafés, etc. Hay que sellar la credencial dos veces por día al menos en los últimos 100 Km. ( para los peregrinos a pie o a caballo) o en los últimos 200 Km. (para los peregrinos ciclistas).

Se puede hacer el Camino por etapas, siempre y cuando éstas estén ordenadas en cronológicamente y geográficamente. Sin embargo, si se hace solamente la distancia mínima exigida (últimos 100 ó 200 km), se debe sellar siempre al inicio y al final de cada etapa, incluyendo la fecha correspondiente, de forma que se vea que el peregrino ha retomado el Camino en el mismo lugar en el que lo había abandonado (es decir, se debe sellar siempre en el lugar en que se comienza, aunque ya hubiéramos sellado en el mismo sitio al terminar la etapa anterior).

Los niños y la peregrinación. Los niños que hagan la peregrinación con sus padres o en grupos, y que tienen la capacidad de comprender lo que significa la naturaleza espiritual o religiosa del Camino, pueden recibir la “Compostela”. Si no son lo suficientemente maduros debido a su corta edad, se les concede un certificado especial con sus nombres. En el caso de bebés o de niños muy pequeños se incluye sus nombres en la “Compostela” de sus padres o del adulto acompañante. Les rogamos que, en caso de duda, contacten con nosotros en la Oficina del Peregrino, para examinar cada caso en particular.
The Credencial also clearly states that pilgrims should obtain at least two sellos per day. You must ensure that you do this at least in the last 100 kms from the Cathedral of Santiago if you are walking or on horseback and 200 kms if you are travelling by bicycle.

There is a special space for the final stamp of the Cathedral on arrival in Santiago.

The Credencial then has panels with boxes in which sellos should be collected. These are usually collected by pilgrims in the place where they sleep such as an albergue. They can also be obtained in Churches, hostales, ayuntamientos and many other places along the routes to Santiago.

Finally, one of the pages contains the following directions for use:

This Credencial is only intended for use by those pilgrims who will walk, go on horseback or cycle and who desire to make the pilgrimage with a Christian motivation or at least in the spirit of searching. It is intended to identify the pilgrim. Therefore the issuing organisation must be a parish, a confraternity, Association of the Amigos of the Camino to Santiago and the like. The Credencial bestows no rights on the pilgrim. It has two practical purposes: admission to those albergues which offer Christian hospitality along the way; and to obtain the Compostela from the Cathedral in Santiago which certifies the pilgrimage has been completed.
The Compostela is only issued to those who have made the pilgrimage with a Christian motivation: devotonis affectul vel voti pietatis causa – motivated by devotion, a vow or piety.
The Compostela is also only issued to those who arrive at the Tomb of the Apostle having travelled on foot or on horseback the last 100kms, or 200kms by bicycle.
The Pilgrim Credencial can only be issued by the Church through its own structures: Dioceses, parishes, confraternities or other bodies authorised by the Church. This is the only way the Credencial can be obtained from the S.A.M.I. Cathedral of Santiago (Jornadas sobre el Año Santo: noviembre 1993).
Albergues provide simple accommodation. They do not receive grants for their upkeep and need to be sustained, cleaned and maintained. This is achieved through the contributions of pilgrims.
Organised groups with a support vehicle or on bicycles are asked to find alternative accommodation from the pilgrim albergues.
The bearer of the Credencial accepts these conditions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Abbeydore said:
You only need two stamps minimum for the last 100 kms
On my first Camino I wasn't aware of the 2 stamps per day rule for the last 100kms, and usually just got one. Having walked all the way from SJPP and got a stamp each day it was clear that I was a genuine pilg and common sense prevailed (I wasn't even challenged about it). I can understand why it's important especially if you're walking a shorter route.

On subsequent Caminos I've tried to collect 2 over the last 100km just to make people's life easier in the Pilgrim Office. My credencial was short of space last time so I just put the second daily stamp on the back of it just in case it was queried.

Buen Camino!

So speaking of getting credentials stamped... Gunner W. the creator of the Radio Buen Camino series indicated that he became a "sello junky" and collected something like 300+/- sellos. What I was wondering is where would I get additional credentials if I too wished to collect a large number of sellos.

Dave2013 said:
So speaking of getting credentials stamped... Gunner W. the creator of the Radio Buen Camino series indicated that he became a "sello junky" and collected something like 300+/- sellos. What I was wondering is where would I get additional credentials if I too wished to collect a large number of sellos.

I think you just ask at every business you pass along the way... I'm thinking of bringing a small journal and having it stamped and doing a short journal entry about where I was/what I was doing when I got that stamp.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
tyrrek said:
Abbeydore said:
On my first Camino I wasn't aware of the 2 stamps per day rule for the last 100kms, and usually just got one. Having walked all the way from SJPP and got a stamp each day it was clear that I was a genuine pilg and common sense prevailed (I wasn't even challenged about it). I can understand why it's important especially if you're walking a shorter route.

On subsequent Caminos I've tried to collect 2 over the last 100km just to make people's life easier in the Pilgrim Office. My credencial was short of space last time so I just put the second daily stamp on the back of it just in case it was queried.

Buen Camino!

Idem here tyrrek...Walked from Roncesvalles to SdC and just did one sello a day, even from Sarria. The office didn't doubt me.

falcon269 said:
You need the credential to stay in many albergues (most?). You do not need any sellos.
[/quote]

Let's not mix up what is required to use albergues and what is required to obtain a Compostela. They are not the same. To say that you "do not need sellos to use albergues" is INCORRECT and very dangerous advice. Many hospitaleros, particularly the closer you get to Santiago will want to see sellos from the last albergue in which you slept. Turn up with a blank credencial or with significant gaps from your last sello/albergue and you risk being turned away.

The credencial is a record of your journey. To many pilgrims it is more precious than the Compostela.

The guidelines on collecting sellos to qualify for a Compostela are here:

http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgri ... redencial/

Best wishes

John

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
JohnnieWalker said:
falcon269 said:
You need the credential to stay in many albergues (most?). You do not need any sellos.

Let's not mix up what is required to use albergues and what is required to obtain a Compostela. They are not the same. To say that you "do not need sellos to use albergues" is INCORRECT and very dangerous advice. Many hospitaleros, particularly the closer you get to Santiago will want to see sellos from the last albergue in which you slept. Turn up with a blank credencial or with significant gaps from your last sello/albergue and you risk being turned away.

The credencial is a record of your journey. To many pilgrims it is more precious than the Compostela.

Best wishes

John[/quote]

SabineP said:
tyrrek said:
Abbeydore said:

Buen Camino!

Idem here tyrrek...Walked from Roncesvalles to SdC and just did one sello a day, even from Sarria. The office didn't doubt me.

Crickey, you two must have very honest faces,
not sure Johnnie would have let you through :wink:

Well Done, it's quite an emotional time getting your Compostela :)
Going weak @ the knees was me!

vagabondette said:
I'm thinking of bringing a small journal and having it stamped and doing a short journal entry about where I was/what I was doing when I got that stamp.

What a wonderful idea. We will all be journalling anyway - I never thought to get our journals stamped, but that will be especially good to give the smaller kids inspiration for what to write about.
I hope there's no rule about not stamping a journal AND a credencial at the same place!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Abbeydore said:
Crickey, you two must have very honest faces,
not sure Johnnie would have let you through :wink:
We'd just been forgiven all our past sin, for goodness sake! If you can't look honest when you show up for your Compostela, when can you? :)

Oi Abbeydore! :D Yup, trustworthy is my middle name.
No seriously, I didn't know about the two sellos rule from Sarria on. Only let my passport stamped daily in albergue/ pension and three extras : one of church Triacastela, one in church Trabadelo and one in the quaint little bar on the 50 k. point before SdC. Merely because I very much liked those two churches and I loved the vibe in that café.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We didn't get two sellos a day for the the last 100 k. We had mostly bars and restaurants at random. They did not scrutinze anything. One look at the sunburned couple and the pile of travel worn stamps from Le Puy was all they needed.

newfydog said:
We didn't get two sellos a day for the the last 100 k. We had mostly bars and restaurants at random. They did not scrutinze anything. One look at the sunburned couple and the pile of travel worn stamps from Le Puy was all they needed.

"One look at the sun burned couple and the pile of travel worn stamps was all they needed." This is so true. We've said it before, there is a big difference between the long distance pilgrim with a credencial full of stamps - hopefully they get a bigger congratulations than scrutiny, and the pilgrim who has walked for 5 days and appears with 4 sellos in their credencial. With everyone though the staff of the pilgrims; office will look for consecutive sellos for the last 5 - 6 days.

JohnnieWalker said:
We've said it before, there is a big difference between the long distance pilgrim with a credencial full of stamps - hopefully they get a bigger congratulation than scrutiny, and the pilgrim who has walked for 5 days and appears with 4 sellos in their credencial. With everyone though the staff of the pilgrims; office will look for consecutive sellos for the last 5 - 6 days.
.... staff members at the pilgrim's office are not "of yesterday". With daily experiences of meeting a variety of pilgrims, they are well versed to appreciate the assortment of stamps on first and last pages of any credencial. Honi soit qui mal y pense :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Best wishes
John[/QUOTE]

@JohnnieWalker, good advice, great link, answers all my questions. Thank you.:)

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back