• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stamping the Pilgrim Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

gelston

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 May
Can someone explain to me who does the stamping of the pilgrim passports. I understand you must have a certain number between points in order to qualify for a certificate.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's quite simple, but I can only talk about the CF and CI. Soon the CF you must have two stamps per day, now you will find that many establishments just leave the stamp on the side of the bar and you can help yourself, some places will do it for you, most of the Albergues I stayed in wouldn't let you stamp your self.
If you are starting East of Sarria then you will find that the Patron will do the stamping and in the Albergues you'll find this the same.
You will also need to produce your passport as well as your credential in most of the Albergues.
The journey from Ferrol to Santiago is the same as from Sarria when it comes to the stamping.

If I've got this all wrong then someone brighter than me will put you right.

You need one stamp per day, except for the last 100 kms where you need two per day. Mostly, you will get stamps at the place you are staying overnight, but there are stamps everywhere, so don't worry if you forget.

Every cafe, bar and many shops you come to, will have a stamp. I got one at the University security office in Pamplona once I realised I forgot to get one at my Hotel!

In the last 100 kms particularly, cafe owners just leave the ink pad and stamp on the bar for you to 'self stamp'.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You will also need to produce your passport as well as your credential in most of the Albergues.
Just to clarify for new members that the Pilgrim Passport is the same as the Credential. The other more boring passport is the one you showed at the airport!

Also that if you continue a particular camino you have walked part of before, you can continue on the old Credential (in fact I think you should). Some people can therefore have more than one Credential 'on the go' at once. But the last 100km I believe has to be done in one go, please correct me if that is wrong.

You should have your Credential stamped where you start walking - ie if you stayed overnight in Pamplona and then got the bus to Roncesvalles to start walking you should get your first stamp in Roncesvalles. It's a record of your progress and arrivals on your pilgrimage, not specifically of having stayed overnight.

Last edited:
Every cafe, bar and many shops you come to, will have a stamp.

Is this the case for the Camino Portugues (central) as well, including the section between Lisbon and Porto?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
if you continue a particular camino you have walked part of before, you can continue on the old Credential (in fact I think you should). Some people can therefore have more than one Credential 'on the go' at once.

Hi notion 900 - I am sorry if I am hijacking this thread, but your comment just prompted me to wonder if I CAN in fact use my existing credencial for the Camino Portugues this year, even though I have used it last year for part of the Le Puy route, which of course is a different route altogether. I must say it never occurred to me that it might even matter as long as my credencial(s) show the required stamps on consecutive days. Grateful for any advice, thanks!

Hi notion 900 - I am sorry if I am hijacking this thread, but your comment just prompted me to wonder if I CAN in fact use my existing credencial for the Camino Portugues this year, even though I have used it last year for part of the Le Puy route, which of course is a different route altogether. I must say it never occurred to me that it might even matter as long as my credencial(s) show the required stamps on consecutive days. Grateful for any advice, thanks!

I don't know, I have kept separate ones for the different routes. Probably easier to get a new one by post from Ivar or your local Friends group. You can then pick up the Le Puy one later. This kind of unfinished business is the enjoyable kind!

I don't know, I have kept separate ones for the different routes. Probably easier to get a new one by post from Ivar or your local Friends group.
Ah... glad that I find out now and not at the last minute. Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Another answer: you need 1 stamp a day unless you have started walking at the 100km point. In that case you will need 2.

From the Pilgrim Office Website:
Is this the case for the Camino Portugues (central) as well, including the section between Lisbon and Porto?
Keep in mind that while albergues and churches are pretty "Camino" designed stamps, as well as some bars, the other stamps people tell you you can get anywhere are the stamps these business use on their receipts or other "official" documents that may require them. Name, address, phone number, nothing fancy. Hence why stamps are available just about everywhere.

But the last 100km I believe has to be done in one go, please correct me if that is wrong.
It doesn't have to be all done at one time, but if you do split it over time, you have to show that you started where you last left the camino by getting your credencial stamped at the same place.

You might want to do what I did. I glued the front facing page of one credential to the underside of another credential. You do this so you have one long credential with a lot of places to stamp. Did that three times and had enough for a lot of stamps. As it turned out the stamps now provide me with a lasting memory of all the places that I stopped at (especially the bars, pop up trucks, and rooms). I probably averaged 3 a day. The only regret is that I didn't get a stamp from a soda vending machine by the side of the road. Yep, there was a machine all by it's lonesome in an alcove of an apartment building. Attached via a small chain was a ink pad and a stamp. Don't know why I didn't stop but really should have. Most places just have the stamp sitting on the side of the bar. Hotels, auberges, and rooms usually are an ask for basis. Either way, the blisters and even some fond memories will fade with time but those infinitely variable stamps will continue on.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Keep in mind that while albergues and churches are pretty "Camino" designed stamps, as well as some bars, the other stamps people tell you you can get anywhere are the stamps these business use on their receipts or other "official" documents that may require them. Name, address, phone number, nothing fancy. Hence why stamps are available just about everywhere.
This was exactly what I had been wondering before! I wasn't sure whether the stamps had to be specifically 'Camino' stamps in order for them to count. But as soon as people started telling me that there would be a stamp everywhere, I figured that any stamp for official / business purposes would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back