Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stamps on first day

Chica36

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo
We start our Camino in Lugo soon. Our first day is a sightseeing day (it was my mum’s birthplace). Should we get stamps on this non walking day or wait until our first walking day?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We start our Camino in Lugo soon. Our first day is a sightseeing day (it was my mum’s birthplace). Should we get stamps on this non walking day or wait until our first walking day?

Whatever you like! You can arrive, get your first stamps in your accommodation, local church/cathedral when you arrive. There is no rule saying you can't. Up to you basically. I usually get my first when I arrive if staying an extra day, some don't, just getting the albergu/hotel stamp where they stay.

Buen Camino! It is a lovely walk from Lugo, and a town really worth a full day in. Walk the city walls!

Davey

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In our excitement to begin our last 100K hike from Sarria, we forgot to memorialize our starting point with a stamp in Sarria. When we remembered several km's later, it was too late to turn around. Although not at all looking forward to doing so, we were fully prepared to taxi back to the starting point once we reached Portomarin to obtain our initial sello. What a relief to walk upon Casa Barbadelo, which resting at km 108, allowed us to obtain our initial stamp and avoid the taxi ride back to Sarria at the end of the day's walk.

George

Why start in Lugo, there is a lovely walk up to there for a couple of days, doesn't mean you have to do all the bigger climbs?

You can do bot, as long as you do actually stamp somewhere in Lugo. It is the 100 km point. If you have a stamp only somewhere after Lugo, it will be seen as that was your starting point which doesn't give you the right for a Compostella.

If Lugo is the 100 mark, you want your stamp to show the date that proves you were there when you started walking, so if you don't get a stamp the night before walking, get a stamp the morning you leave, wherever you have coffee. You could have two date stamps from your hostal.

The 2 stamps per stage/day show progression of the walk. Gaps in the last 100 raise the possibility of having bused or taxi'd forward.

Why start in Lugo, there is a lovely walk up to there for a couple of days, doesn't mean you have to do all the bigger climbs?
There are five of us with various limitations on the length of our Caminino due to family and work commitments. The day in Lugo is important to me as it gives me chance to reconnect to my roots. My mum’s school is now the museum and she was born within the walls so it will be nice to spend time taking it all in

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back