• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stamps

Ilse Camino

New Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2018
Just want to know if you still need 2 stamps a day for the last 100km if you've been walking from St Jean Pied de Port or would 1 stamp a day be sufficient?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The rules are two stamps per day. Not difficult when there is a bar, cafe or Albergue once every 500 mtrs (oh, and the odd church or two).

There are many, many tales of this requirement being waived for those with sun-burn on the left side of their face, boots like a moonshine drinkers nose and a credencial that evidences a continuous journey on foot from France.

I like collecting sellos so for me two a day means I'm cutting back rather.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The rules are two stamps per day. Not difficult when there is a bar, cafe or Albergue once every 500 mtrs (oh, and the odd church or two).

There are many, many tales of this requirement being waived for those with sun-burn on the left side of their face, boots like a moonshine drinkers nose and a credencial that evidences a continuous journey on foot from France.

I like collecting sellos so for me two a day means I'm cutting back rather.
Personally I checked their legs before issuing a Compostela - right leg paler than left? Good to go! (Usually)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just got my compostello. I had plenty of stamps but the person did not go over my credential very thoroughly.

Here's a different sello-related question.

I will be travelling with relatives for a few days, and the itinerary happens to include visiting and/or staying in some places along the Camino Frances, including Puente la Reina, Logroño, Burgos, and Astorga. This will not be a walking trip.

Then I will have nine available days after the rest of my fellow travellers head home, and I will be walking from Ponferrada to SdC. So, I would consider Ponferrada to be the starting point of my camino.

Like many others in this forum, I think that the sellos are fascinating and an appealing way to remember one's travels. Since I will have plenty of extra empty spots on my credencial, I have a temptation to collect some sellos in the above named places before Ponferrada.

However, I have a feeling that it might be, at the very least, "bad form" to collect sellos when I am not walking into town. Perhaps it could possibly even be seen to affect the validity of the credencial at the Oficina in SdC, even if the last stamps are the required 2-or-more-per-day over the last 100+ km, collected while travelling on foot.

If I would be making myself obnoxious, or misrepresenting myself in collecting these stamps before the official pilgrimage start, I would just start stamping in Ponferrada, perhaps collecting more that the required daily minimum as opportunity arises. In this case, perhaps I could still collect some of the "pre-pilgrimage" sellos in my journal notebook instead of my credencial?

What say you?

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just want to know if you still need 2 stamps a day for the last 100km if you've been walking from St Jean Pied de Port or would 1 stamp a day be sufficient?

The last 100 km walked in Pilgrimage is for the Church. The hundreds of kilometers walked prior to that is for you. :) Two stamps or sellos per day on the last 100 km is required, even if you have walked further than that.

I will be travelling with relatives for a few days, and the itinerary happens to include visiting and/or staying in some places along the Camino Frances, including Puente la Reina, Logroño, Burgos, and Astorga. This will not be a walking trip.

Then I will have nine available days after the rest of my fellow travellers head home, and I will walking from Ponferrada to SdC. So, I would consider Ponferrada to be the starting point of my camino.

Like many others in this forum, I think that the sellos are fascinating and an appealing way to remember one's travels. Since I will have plenty of extra empty spots on my credencial, I have a temptation to collect some sellos in the above named places before Ponferrada.

However, I have a feeling that it might be, at the very least, "bad form" to collect sellos when I am not walking into town. Perhaps it could possibly even be seen to affect the validity of the credencial at the Officina in SdC, even if the last stamps are the required 2-or-more-per-day over the last 100+ km, collected while travelling on foot.

If I would be making myself obnoxious, or misrepresenting myself in collecting these stamps before the official pilgrimage start, I would just start stamping in Ponferrada, perhaps collecting more that the required daily minimum as opportunity arises. In this case, perhaps I could still collect some of the "pre-pilgrimage" sellos in my journal notebook instead of my credencial?

What say you?

I say that you should not collect sellos on the same credencial that you present to the Pilgrim Office. It is meant as a record of your Pilgrimage. However, you can make your own credencial-sized sello-collection 'scrap book' and still collect sellos as mementos or souvenirs. You shouldn't have any problem doing it that way.

So get your Credencial stamped along the last 100 km, and then get those same stamps in your scrap book. And fill that scrap book up with sellos prior to reaching the 100 km marker.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
However, I have a feeling that it might be, at the very least, "bad form" to collect sellos when I am not walking into town. Perhaps it could possibly even be seen to affect the validity of the credencial at the Oficina in SdC, even if the last stamps are the required 2-or-more-per-day over the last 100+ km, collected while travelling on foot.
I don't believe there is any problem with collecting the earlier stamps on your credencial unless you are trying to sleep in an albergue or gain admittance to a museum for pilgrim rate. Just make sure to specify Ponferrada with the pilgrims office and continuous travel from there to get the distance certificate. To get the compostella, they only care about the last 100km.

I always end up with odds and ends stamps PRIOR to starting from my official start point. Never been a problem.

OK I’ll get all Tinkerish over this one. A “credencial” records a pilgrims journey to Santiago. A “Compostela” records a pilgrims compliance with the Pilgrim Office’s criteria for obtaining one. These two distinct documents are confused at the bearers’ peril.

@Neitz is at liberty to do as he wishes with his credencial so long as it documents his compliance with PO rules if he wishes to obtain the other one 😉
There was a time when pilgrimage to the shrine of St James was a simple act of devotion - I guess, these days, we all need to be sure we’re doing it right 😇

Then I will have nine available days after the rest of my fellow travellers head home, and I will be walking from Ponferrada to SdC. So, I would consider Ponferrada to be the starting point of my camino.

What say you?

On the back side of your credential is a map. If you are concerned, put your souvenir, pre-walking camino stamps on that side of the document. Voilà! Stamps are there, but not on your progression.

The face page of your credential, with your name, has a spot for you to enter your starting point. Do add your email somewhere, so if lost, your document might find its way back to you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OK I’ll get all Tinkerish over this one. A “credencial” records a pilgrims journey to Santiago. A “Compostela” records a pilgrims compliance with the Pilgrim Office’s criteria for obtaining one. These two distinct documents are confused at the bearers’ peril.
So, what exactly does "Tinkerish" mean? As far as I can tell, everyone above used both terms correctly. There were a few mispeelings (including my fat fingers), but I never saw rite speeling on the cathedral repuirements. :)

So, what exactly does "Tinkerish" mean? As far as I can tell, everyone above used both terms correctly. There were a few mispeelings (including my fat fingers), but I never saw rite speeling on the cathedral repuirements. :)

:) I think it is another way of him saying: "Now, these are the facts". Or, "this is the real scoop." ??

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.