• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stanford University Research on the Camino

twinfield13

Dear Camino friends,

I have put together this survey for my research on the relationship between
wellbeing, walking, religion, and spirituality. It would mean the world to me if you could take it. It only has three sections and will take approximately 10-20 minutes of your time (depending how fast you go!).

Please use this survey as an opportunity to reflect on your current behaviors and life style, and how they have changed (or not) as a result of the camino. The survey is completely anonymous and will be used for my thesis work and wellness programming at Stanford University! The survey will also be taken by people from all over the world and results will be compared cross-culturally and activity based - so WE NEED A GOOD REPRESENTATION OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE THE CAMINO!

Please enter your name and email address if you would like a wellbeing assessment after taking the survey or to be entered to win a $25 amazon gift card."

Here is the the Anonymous Survey Link:
https://stanforduniversity.qualtrics.co ... 4nwO61oieE

Please forward this survey to your friends and family. The study is not limited to Camino Walkers (though we must get a good response rate from people who have done the camino) and the more results we get, the better the analysis can be! :D

Thank you,
Taylor Paige Winfield
Stanford University
Taylorw1@stanford.edu

"IMPORTANT" removed from title.
Moderator WM

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Re: IMPORTANT: Stanford University Research on the Camino

Taylor:

Completed. I would be interested in your conclusions.

Ultreya,
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

twinfield13 said:
Dear Camino friends,

wellbeing, walking, religion, and spirituality. It would mean the world to me if you could take it. It only has three sections and will take approximately 10-20 minutes of your time (depending how fast you go!).

Please use this survey as an opportunity to reflect on your current behaviors and life style, and how they have changed (or not) as a result of the camino.

Please enter your name and email address if you would like a wellbeing assessment after taking the survey or to be entered to win a $25 amazon gift card."

Hi Taylor. I've completed your questionnaire out of interest. I don't think it addresses the questions you say you want answered in your posting, though. It's certainly not Camino specific, and it may be 'IMPORTANT' to you, but maybe not to the rest of us. Remember the importance of ethics in social research.

Keith

Done. But like tyrrek already stated I think it is indeed important not to forget the ethical side.

It would mean the world to me if you could take it.
That does not say 'IMPORTANT,' and I must be entirely missing some ethical issue in social research here; some Manchurian Candidate thing, I suppose.

Good fortune with your survey, Taylor.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I'm possibly misunderstanding, but look at the title of this posting, Falcon! Then do the questionnaire, 'Camino friend', as we are described.

I don't think the questions match the way the research is described in the original posting. I'm not saying it's in any way malicious, but possibly misguided. (It doesn't take just 10 or even 15 minutes to complete for a start!)

Where's the moderator button when you need one?! :)

Keith

I took the title in the context of the later post:
Help out a pilgrim! Stanford Research on Camino!!

Postby twinfield13 on 20 Nov 2011, 16:15
Dear Camino friends,

Please use this survey as an opportunity to reflect on your current behaviors and life style, and how they have changed (or not) as a result of the camino. The survey is completely anonymous and will be used for my thesis work and wellness programming at Stanford University! The survey will also be taken by people from all over the world and results will be compared cross-culturally and activity based - so WE NEED A GOOD REPRESENTATION OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE THE CAMINO! :D

Please enter your name and email address if you would like a wellbeing assessment after taking the survey or to be entered to win a $25 amazon gift card.

Here is the the Anonymous Survey Link:

Please forward this survey to your friends and family. The study is not limited to Camino Walkers (though we must get a good response rate from people who have done the camino) and the more results we get, the better the analysis can be!

Thank you,
Taylor Paige Winfield
Stanford University
Taylorw1@stanford.edu
I did the survey in under 10 minutes, and did not see any Mengele in it. Sorry. I am dense with a third grader's ability to grasp the subtle.

Darn, one of these threads where my basic knowledge of english lets me down... :?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

We'll disagree then Falcon! Nothing wrong with that.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot how bad my internet connection is.

It may indeed be possible to complete it in 10 minutes. Just don't spend any time contemplating the difference between religion and spirituality or it could take weeks to complete.

It is a request to participate in a survey. Happens several times a year on the forum. I found nothing unethical in the approach taken. Either participate or do not.

I would agree with Keith that this survey could and maybe should take longer than 10-20 minutes to address the questions properly. That said, considering the time factor suggested maybe Taylor is looking for a shoot from the hip response. I took closer to 20 minutes.

Joe

(post deleted)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

jpflavin1 said:
It is a request to participate in a survey. Happens several times a year on the forum. I found nothing unethical in the approach taken. Either participate or do not.

Joe

I don't disagree with surveys, Joe, and did complete this one honestly. I'm only saying that the way it is being described to us in the original posting is not totally accurate. It's very important that you do so when you're going to ask people questions including about their sex lives etc! Especially when you're doing it in the name of what I assume is an esteemed institution. I repeat that I'm not saying it's meant to be malicious.

Keith

Dear All,

First off, I want to apologize if my research description was misleading in any way. I would like to clarify my intentions:

This past year, I have sought answers to the ageless question of how happiness can be attained by researching what community values and daily practices are conducive to increased wellbeing in India, Spain, and South Africa. Although happiness is difficult to measure because it is extremely subjective, I followed the example of leading positive psychologists and measure happiness through surveys, interviews, and participant observation.

In the survey (quantitative) portion of my research, my intention is to have participants rank values ​​associated (or disassociated) with happiness, religion, and spirituality in order to quantify the relationship between them. I will see how answers vary between individuals from different cultures (America, India, South Africa, and Spain) and different spiritual activities (those who have done mentation retreats, Vipassana, the Camino de Santiago). From interviews this past fall, I know that the Camino is positively related with wellbeing and would love to demonstrate these results in my study. I am especially curious why the Camino works for so many from a sociologic and psychologic perspective - how it changes an individuals behaviors to be more conducive to wellbeing.

If you have any insights or comments about my study, I would love to here them and please email me at taylorw1@stanford.edu.

Here is the revised survey link if any of you are still interested in taking it:

I apologize again for any misunderstanding. This study also does have IRB approval and I am committed to making it ethical.

Thank you,
Taylor Winfield

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back