• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starling Bank account or Revolut Pre-loaded Card?

HE-J

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015, 2022)
Camino Ingles (2023))
Hi All,

I’m starting my second Camino in April this year and just looking at the best way to take money to Spain.

I’m in the UK and considering either getting a Starling Bank account for the duration of the trip, or a Revolut (or similar) card. (I’ll also be taking a credit card for times when I can use one!)

Would really appreciate any guidance/other suggestions from you guys!

Huge thanks in advance,
¡Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I normally just take the cash that I want with me and then use local bank machines.

Thanks MikeJS, looking to avoid bank charges...do you have a good uk account that doesn’t charge you for atm withdrawals? Cheers and TIA

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I take some euros in cash to keep me going and also have a FairFX euro card which i can use as a bank card and also withdraw cash at ATMs i find it better value than using my UK bank account and i can top up the FairFX account with more euros as and when required via the app on my phone. I’ve used FairFX for at least 4 years now and have also used the dollar one when travelling in the US and central america.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Starling don't charge ATM fees or an exchange fee but remember that the Bank you withdraw money from may well charge a fee anyway. Revolut will charge you 2% if you withdraw more than an accumulative £200 in a month according to their website. I use Santander in the UK and Spain. Saves a lot of hassle. I've never regarded reasonable bank charges as much of an imposition. The cost of a couple coffees or a beer once a week saves me carrying wads of cash.

We use a Fair-FX card which does charge a transaction charge but the better exchange rate generally compensates. When in Spain many banks now charge their own transaction fee so it is worth looking out for either Iber Caja or Abianca ATMs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use Santander in cash machines and the Halifax Clarity card as my credit card. Neither charges fees. Just remember to press the pay in local currency option when prompted, not £. It makes quite a difference.

When I walked in 2014, cash was king. No one accepted plastic in the albergues etc. A couple of years ago, I noticed people paying with a card on a number of occasions, but generally these were albergues with rooms as well.

Both will work fine.

I use a Monzo card wherever I travel Europe/Asia, it's always been accepted and you only need to load it in your national currency.

Currency transactions abroad are free (other cards are available, but read the small print too)

I’ve had a Starling account for a couple of years and am very happy with it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We have used the Weswap card for several years. Pre-load with £ or top up as required. Then swap to currency of your choice and use in any ATM. It's worked fine for us in Europe, Japan and Hong Kong.

I use a Revolut Card when abroad and I have never had any problems. It always gives a very competitive exchange rate. However the best advice is from Felice above: always click the button for the transaction to be in the local currency and not your home currency. The difference can be significant.

I found that Portuguese bank ATMs that I used didn't charge an extra fee but that most Spanish ATMs did. A couple of times in Spain I wasn't charged an extra fee but there didn't seem any obvious logic to which ones didn't charge and you don't find out until the last step. At one stage I thought that it might be the bank chain but then made a withdrawal at the same Bank chain in a different village and was charged.

Does anyone know if there is a way to tell which ATMs in Spain don't charge an extra fee?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for all your replies ...much appreciated. I think I’ll apply for a Starling Card...looking at my Santander 123 account it looks like I’ll get a hefty hit using it in Spain!
¡buen Camino todos!

I am pretty sure Charles Schwab is an international bank.
I use my Schwab card for travel and get reimbursed for all fees at the end of each month.
Does anyone outside the USA here use Schwab?

Hi All,

I’m starting my second Camino in April this year and just looking at the best way to take money to Spain.

I’m in the UK and considering either getting a Starling Bank account for the duration of the trip, or a Revolut (or similar) card. (I’ll also be taking a credit card for times when I can use one!)

Huge thanks in advance,
¡Buen Camino!
I always travel with a TransferWise card,
Easy to set up and easy to monitor.
Joe.

€60,-
FairFX is very good, and has a great app to charge it up using your normal debit card. Can be used at all ATMs in Spain and the exchange rate is good. It saved me a lot compared to being ripped off by HSBC. I have a feeling you get a better deal if you have separate cards with FairFX for Euros, USD and any other currencies, but check this out.

ATMs in Spain do charge quite amazingly different fees in my experience. I'm going to start a thread which shames the expensive ones! Last year I started a note on my phone with a couple of culprits: BBVA and Sabadell.

Hi All,

Huge thanks in advance,
¡Buen Camino!
I take case and use ATM machines.

FairFX is very good, and has a great app to charge it up using your normal debit card. Can be used at all ATMs in Spain and the exchange rate is good. It saved me a lot compared to being ripped off by HSBC. I have a feeling you get a better deal if you have separate cards with FairFX for Euros, USD and any other currencies, but check this out.

ATMs in Spain do charge quite amazingly different fees in my experience. I'm going to start a thread which shames the expensive ones! Last year I started a note on my phone with a couple of culprits: BBVA and Sabadell.
There already is a thread, recently started, that lists actual ATM charges along the Caminos.

Check the list of recently updated threads

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.