• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start 6th of September from SJPP

Adrienn

Time of past OR future Camino
My First Camino will start in August/September
Hello Everyone!
I will arrive to SJPP on the 5th of September.
Sleep somewhere and start the way on 6th. ( This will be my first Camino.)
Is anyone around at that time?
Do i have to book an albergue for the first night or it is easy to find something when i het there?
Many thanks for the advises.
Buen Camino!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Adrienn,

Lucky you to be starting soon!

The SJPdP Pilgrim Office is located on the camino at 39 rue de La Citadelle.

The office is open every day and in season from early in the morning until late at night ie after the arrival of the last bus/train. The helpful multi-lingual volunteers can provide you with a Credential and stamp if needed, as well as a list of major albergues and current weather/ trail conditions. They can also help locate a bed/bunk for the night. Most importantly the office is a great spot to meet/ greet other pilgrims.
...Do plan to stop and chat!

Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
While the crowds will have lessened, there still will be plenty of fellow pilgrims. Most walk all the way to Roncesvalles the first day. Capacity has been artificially limited this year, so a reservation is probably a wise thing. Even if you are not at peak fitness, adrenaline will carry you the first day if you take care of your feet and tend to hot spots as soon as they appear. You will see a lot of destroyed feet at Roncesvalles from over-enthusiasm! Buen camino.

Hello Everyone!
Do i have to book an albergue for the first night or it is easy to find something when i het there?
Buen Camino!!

Hello Everyone!
Buen Camino!!

I did the Camino one year ago at about the same time you are doing yours. I left on Sept 3rd to begin from here in the US. I loved every minute of it and I STILL miss it. I'm hoping to make the pilgrimage again in two years when I turn 70. I would strongly recommend making a reservation at the Orisson Albergue. This gives you two days to cross from SJPP over the Pyranees and into Spain. Orisson was a wonderful experience and the views spectacular. My best wishes and prayers go with you. Buen Camino!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
. . . Do i have to book an albergue for the first night or it is easy to find something when i het there? . . .
Welcome aboard, your first post!. For peace of mind you can make a reservation for St Jean, for Orisson, and for Roncesvalles. IF you need information on how to make those reservations just post a question and forum members will provide the information.

You are NOT going to be alone. The following forum members will start in St Jean on 6th of September: (1) Happy Wanders (Brisbane, Australia), SJPP, (2) jerseygirl (New Jersey, USA), SJPP, (3) vettesquared ((South Carolina, USA), SJPP, (4) Pville (California, USA), SJPP, (5) Janetlm (Arizona, USA) and Kim, SJPP, (6) Carolita (California, USA) SJPP.

More information on this conversation [you can add your name to the listing here]: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sept-oct-2017-pilgrims-check-in.49246/

Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Opinions are just that, with that disclaimer, here's mine. If you're in reasonable shape and have done some training, I'd go to Roncesvalles on day 1. I did that on May 19 and it took me 9 hours, it was a great conference builder. BTW, I'm 60. I would try to make a reservation wherever you stay on day 1. One last thing, as you walk on day 1, no need to look up the hill, the top will be there when you arrive. Enjoy the view, talk with other Pilgrims and be careful on the way down. Buen Camino, I wish I was going with you.

Many thanks all of you for the advises. They are really helpful. I try to don't push to much at the beginning. I will look after my legs. My daily plan is around 30km. I hope is not that hard to make it.

I will have a look these members and try to contact with them.
Thanks for your support!
Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Juspassinthrough!
Yes. My firts night will be in Roncesvalles.
( i hope).

Thanks Juspassinthrough!
Yes. My firts night will be in Roncesvalles.
( i hope).
You'll make it, one step in front of the other. Leave SJPP early and take some food. Water but no food after Orisson. Enjoy every step.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back