• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start and Finish

Stuartwe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2020
My brother is planning to start and finish the Camino with me next September/October.

Would welcome any advice on ease of travelling back to the UK from possibly Logrono and rejoining me again at a suitable location around a weeks walking from Santiago.

I think Bilbao would be airport of choice after he leaves me at Logrono but not sure how easy it would be to meet up again nearer to Santiago

Any views/suggestions greatly appreciated

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Enjoy making all the plans. Yes, Bilbao sounds right. For the last section, Santiago itself, or look up your other airlines to see their destinations. There are plenty of bus options, depending on time of course, and train as well, that go back from Santiago to Sarria and beyond. You have plenty of time, just don't pick an airline that will go to the wall!

A week before Santiago is going to be around O'Cebreiro, which might be a bit more difficult than meeting in Sarria, about five days walk. I have heard recently that the bus service that my wife and I used in 2016 that travelled between Sarria and O'Cebreiro not longer operates, but I don't know what has replaced it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
dougfitz got it right. O'Cebreiro is not exactly a thriving hub of international transportation and communication, no more buses. Two bad options I can think of, fly into SdC and take a bus to Sarria guessing about 3 hours. or SdC to Portmarin a longer ride say 3 and a half hours. Sarria will grant him the Compostela Portmarin won't. Should your brother insist on O'Cebreiro arriving there by an exhausting combination of buses trains taxis whatever, he should be aware that just down the road from O'Cebreiro 5k +- lies Pedrafita do Cebreiro not the same place! If the Compostela document is not so important for him, meet in SdC and walk to Finesterra!

Should your brother insist on O'Cebreiro arriving there by an exhausting combination of buses trains taxis whatever, he should be aware that just down the road from O'Cebreiro 5k +- lies Pedrafita do Cebreiro not the same place! If the Compostela document is not so important for him, meet in SdC and walk to Finesterra!
It is possible to travel from Madrid airport or the city centre direct to Pedrafita on an ALSA coach. No transfers required. Several buses per day and an example fare of 35 euro for travel next week (though that will probably vary according to the travel date and demand).

The Madrid option certainly sounds much better, however, in order to fly back home, your brother must return to Madrid for the flight home. Sarria still seems better.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the Camino Frances during August-September and my wife Carol came to walk with me four four days to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. She flew to Bilbao, then caught a bus to Logrono - which is something of a transport hub. We walked together as far as Belorado, from where she was able to catch a bus (less than an hour by bus to retrace our 4 walking days!) back to Logrono and from there to Bilbao.

I think Astorga or Villafranca del Bierzo might offer similar options to and from Santiago by bus. The www.rome2rio.com website will help you to find what's possible, though the bus companies' own websites are best for current timetables.

Buen Camino!

Santiago is the hub for Galicia.

Santiago Airport http://www.aena.es/en/santiago-airport/index.html

Renfe connects several cities in Galicia including Sarria.

Empresa Freire bus connects Santiago and Airport to Lugo. The bus route leaves the Camino at Arzua.

Monbus offers service from Lugo to Sarria. They used to operate a bus from Sarria to O Cebriero once each way 6 days per week. You'd have to check for that service.

ALSA connects Santiago to Lugo and Lugo to Ponferrada with a stop at Pedrafita do Cebreiro. Its a couple of uphill kilometers to O Cebreiro.

Gonzalezdelariva provides bus service from Ponferrada to communities up to but not including Pedrafita do Cebreiro. http://www.gonzalezdelariva.es/index.html

Almost every village has bus service at least once per day, usually inbound to the local hub city in the AM and back in the PM, however, those hubs are not usually located on the camino so getting from one village to the next might take quite a bit of time. You can often find the local schedule by searching for the 'concello' government website for the village.

Si yo fuerra tu, plan to meet up at Ponferrada or Sarria.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.