• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start Besancon to Pavia June 18

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
Not long now till I start Phase 2 of the Via Francigena from Besancon. Hopefully it will not be flooded when I arrive on June 17. The weather in Central Europe looks very wet so far this year. Rain and even snow on the Giro d'Italia a couple of weeks ago. What's going on?

I have had to cut down on packed weight and reluctantly will not take my camera. So my smartphone camera will have to serve. At least it geotags pics so that will be an advantage.

Actually the phone is proving quite useful in other ways. I have an app that reads many document formats, so I am taking a whole bunch of working files. Plus guide books, other reading. Music.

As for reporting progress here, I may try a couple of postings to see what the data usage costs, otherwise reporting will have to await my return home. Data costs on my new Air Baltic international SIM seem to be reasonably cheap, but I am sceptical until proven in the field.

But I don't want the phone to rule my leisure(?) time on the road. It is a tool, not a master!

I will be using Paul Chinn's slightly modified route (VF, ed5) and my GPS unit as the prime navigating aids. I was able to get Paul's guidebook spiral bound at Officeworks (office supplies shop) for less than $4. Last year I found the spiral-bound book to be very helpful for use on the road because it folds perfectly flat & can be read when in a plastic bag in rain.

As for equipment, I have opted for light boots instead of walking shoes. Shoes have been fine in the past, but boots might be better on hillier terrain. No walking pole. No sleeping bag -- that might prove problematical if I need to sleep in a parish hall. Otherwise nothing out of the ordinary. Just minimalist, under 6kg.

Bob M

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Bob
You're in for a treat, and an amazing adventure. We also started in Besancon (in the rain) a couple of years ago. You might find this useful - I have just published an ebook on Amazon about the journey. The Italian Camino by Maggie Ramsay. It's not a guidebook, but an account of the walk, but it should give some useful info as well as the feel of the VF. The VFis very different to the Spanish Camino. There is very little written about the Via Francigena, because so few people have walked it. We were Pellegrini Australiani dalla Francia a Roma a Piedi (Australian pilgrims walking from France to Rome). The book is available at: amzn.to/17Ks6Cb
All the best - I wish I was starting the walk all over again.
Magnara

If one searches around, there are some really excellent blogs about the VF that one can dip into online and find out if they suit one's needs.

Not to mention the excellent work and publications of the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome (CPR) and other Associations. The CPR in particular deserves support for its work.

Bob M

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I totally agree about great blogs - I found them very useful for Planning and very inspiring. I have always found Sillydoll's particularly entertaining. I've also been In touch with the CSJ about giving them my book for their library so it can be borrowed . So far they can only have print items.

BobM said:
publications of the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome (CPR) and other Associations. The CPR in particular deserves support for its work.

Bob M

I agree wholeheartedly - they, together with the CSJ provide invaluable support and information - and are also unfailingly friendly and responsive!.

Well, I am at Villeneuve and so far so good, even allowing for the usual accom dramas at weekends. My GPS somehow wiped all my WPs and routes. But Paul Chinn provided his usual exceotional help and emailed me the G Po X file so I was able to do restore. It is a timely reminder that technology can fail. There is no substitute for proper navigation.

So far I have met only one other pilgrim, an incredible lady called Deborah who is on a real selfless mission. See http://www.walktheworldforlove.wordpress.com.

I walked with her for a day and learned a little about her incredible walks, including one the length of Israe.
That is it for now. Excuse typos. Crappy little phone screens make poor keboards.

Bob M

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
BobM said:
As for reporting progress here, I may try a couple of postings to see what the data usage costs, otherwise reporting will have to await my return home. Data costs on my new Air Baltic international SIM seem to be reasonably cheap, but I am sceptical until proven in the field.

Once in Italy you can get a SIM . At most you'll pay about €10 a month for unlimited data. Various offers so even €10 is likely on the high side.

The Air Baltic SIM is proving fantastic. Only one SIM to deal with and it never expires. Nor does the credit. I plan ro keep it as my standard phone number when out of Australia.

I wont boee everyone now with my difficulties. I will do that later at greater length.

But I cant resist a spray at the pedantically unhelpful folk at the Best Western Hotel Allegro in Paris. They refused to hild my bag until my walk was over. Their baggage room was too small. When I expressed surprise at how capacious it was the story changed to one of hotel policy. Bloody gits. Thank god for Trip Advisor where I can vent my spleen some more. Very unpilgrimish as I should turn the other cheek and offer them a bkessing.

So I lugged the bag to the Hotel Florel at Besancon, who were very happy to hold the bag. But now I have to stop at Vercelli instead of Pavia so I can return to Besancon in time to meet flight bookings.

BTW the a walk from Cully to Villeneuve is absolutely kively. Terraced vineyards down to the lake. Snaggly mountains across the lake, still with snow. And what about the lakeside walk near Montreux. That is really special.

No more babbling. Time for bed.
Rgds
BobM

I am now in Etroubles having done the big climb up to the St Bernard Pass from Osieres via Bourg St Pierre. Rain to BourgStPierre then beautiful clear weather to the Pass. Lots of snow still about with patches on the official route.

Everyone who has walked this route will remember the fantastic views.

Staff at the Hospice wonderful. Good rooms, SF73 for room, dinner, breakfast and a picnic lunch.

The walk down from the Pass is tiring on thigh muscles because one descends over a thousand meters in about 12km.

That's it fir now. Excuse typos.

Bob N

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Now in Vercelli, the end of this year's section of the VF.

I have heaps of information that I will pass on to the CPR and Paul Chinn for use in updates to accommodation lists and route notes.

I hope I will have time to write a few notes on each stage as well when I get home.

In the meantime if anyone is about to start the Besancon to Vercelli section of the VF and has any urgent questions I will try my best to respond before I get home on July18.

Regards
Bob M

I tried to buy a train ticket from Vercelli to Besancon at the Vercelli train station, but was told that I could not. I had to buy the ticket from a travel agent instead.

Is that really so? It seems very odd that one cannot buy a train ticket to France from an Italian train station.

Surely in Milan for example one can go to the train station and buy ticket to anywhere in Europe.

Anyway, I found a travel agent and bought the tickets quite easily, but it was an added hassle.

Regards
Bob M

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.