Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

Start from Granada or Sevilla?

Donald Sinclair

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2017
Hi all, I am planning to do the VDLP probably from March/April next year.
But I am now thinking about the Mozabre camino starting from Granada. I enjoy visiting the older quarters of towns and want to be convinced that I should start from either Sevilla as intended or fom Granada now.
Given that both caminos converge at Merida, is one a better experience?
Thanks in advance
Donald

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

C clearly

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012. Hoping now for 2022.
It is hard to compare. Seville to Merida was 10 days for me. Granada to Merida was about 17 days. If you have the extra time, then the Mozarabe probably offers "more" - literally. As to "better" experience - that depends on too much more than the route!

jenny@zen

Camino Walker
Past OR future Camino
2022 Via De la Plata
A better experience for you - I’m not sure anyone could say. One factor might be whether seeing other pilgrims is important - e.g. I think there would likely be more on the VdelP. And whether you’ve been to any or all of Seville, Granada or Cordoba before.

We’ve walked the Mozarabe from Granada to Merida. Fabulous - as long as you’re happy not seeing many (any?) other Peregrinos. We will be starting the VdelP from Seville on 1 April. I’m anticipating an equally enjoyable but different experience.

That said, the trifecta of Granada, Cordoba and Merida is tough to beat .. and you’ll still have Caceres, Salamanca, Zamora … ahead of you.

Good luck with your decision making.

Last edited:

OZAJ

Past OR future Camino
Mozarabe/VdlP/Sanabres (2008) Norte (2009) Vezelay/Frances/Salvador/Primitivo (2010) etc.
There is also the option of starting from Malaga, which I did in 2008.

If you start from Malaga and continue after SdC to Finisterre, then you will have walked coast to coast, Med to Atlantic through the guts of Spain. Now how good is that??!!

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Socks

LTfit

Veteran Member
I've done both and as jenny@zen mentioned it really depends if you want to meet pilgrims. I saw no one when I walked Granada to Mérida back in 2016. Walking alone does not bother me but seeing no one was after a while a bit much. Luckily I speak Spanish so I would take extra long coffee breaks and talk to the café owner.

I suspect that you will see many more on the Vía de la Plata during that time period.

Tandem Graham

Every new day an adventure
Past OR future Camino
Bike: Mont St Michel-SdC. Budapest-Vezelay. Alicante-Burgos
Walk: Le Puy-SJPdP. Dax-(CF)-SdC.
I have a flight booked to Seville on 28th March '22, and will commence walking the following day. I am *very* excited by Alan's description of marching north at the pace of Spring!
I hope to make it to Santiago in roughly five weeks, so Granada wasn't an option for me this time.
But if the OP hasn't been to Granada before, my tip would be to book a guided tour of the Alhambra Palace several weeks before you leave home. It is very popular but for good reason!

backpack45

Past OR future Camino
Vezelay (2017, in progress); Primitivo & Norte; Geneva/LePuy; Arles; Portuguese; Francés + more
Granada is incredible, so if you decide to start there, make reservations to see the Alhambra early. It is a lonely path, but lovely. Alternately, you could visit Granada and then take public transit to another city to start your walk.

Past OR future Camino
CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
There is also the option of starting from Malaga, which I did in 2008.

If you start from Malaga and continue after SdC to Finisterre, then you will have walked coast to coast, Med to Atlantic through the guts of Spain. Now how good is that??!!
My planned Mediterranean to Atlantic starting in Cadiz to Santiago on to A Coruña……Cadiz to Seville was good but had to postpone the VDLP section. One day.

DavidCanadian

I have a flight booked to Seville on 28th March '22, and will commence walking the following day. I am *very* excited by Alan's description of marching north at the pace of Spring!
I hope to make it to Santiago in roughly five weeks, so Granada wasn't an option for me this time.
But if the OP hasn't been to Granada before, my tip would be to book a guided tour of the Alhambra Palace several weeks before you leave home. It is very popular but for good reason!
Some years ago, starting in Sevilla, we walked the VdlP "at the pace of spring. " it was a wonderful experience. Remember thought, nights can be bitterly cold in unheated albergues, and there will likely be many rainy (and cold) days. There were not many pilgrims on that route but I suspect that has changed.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Socks

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
I'll just add the potential options for starting in Gibraltar or Cadíz.

Past OR future Camino
CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
I'll just add the potential options for starting in Gibraltar or Cadíz.
I walked Cadiz to Seville early March 2019. It’s not a very interesting Camino once out of Cadiz and maybe Jerez, little infrastructure and boring beside train track paths. We were fortunate to not have rain because I think day 3 was across a very long field of dry clay which would be impossible to cross in rain or if mud. I’d say from Gibraltar or Malaga.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads