• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start from Granada or Sevilla?

Donald Sinclair

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2017
Hi all, I am planning to do the VDLP probably from March/April next year.
But I am now thinking about the Mozabre camino starting from Granada. I enjoy visiting the older quarters of towns and want to be convinced that I should start from either Sevilla as intended or fom Granada now.
Given that both caminos converge at Merida, is one a better experience?
Thanks in advance
Donald

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A better experience for you - I’m not sure anyone could say. One factor might be whether seeing other pilgrims is important - e.g. I think there would likely be more on the VdelP. And whether you’ve been to any or all of Seville, Granada or Cordoba before.

We’ve walked the Mozarabe from Granada to Merida. Fabulous - as long as you’re happy not seeing many (any?) other Peregrinos. We will be starting the VdelP from Seville on 1 April. I’m anticipating an equally enjoyable but different experience.

That said, the trifecta of Granada, Cordoba and Merida is tough to beat .. and you’ll still have Caceres, Salamanca, Zamora … ahead of you.

Good luck with your decision making.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is also the option of starting from Malaga, which I did in 2008.

If you start from Malaga and continue after SdC to Finisterre, then you will have walked coast to coast, Med to Atlantic through the guts of Spain. Now how good is that??!!

I've done both and as jenny@zen mentioned it really depends if you want to meet pilgrims. I saw no one when I walked Granada to Mérida back in 2016. Walking alone does not bother me but seeing no one was after a while a bit much. Luckily I speak Spanish so I would take extra long coffee breaks and talk to the café owner.

I suspect that you will see many more on the Vía de la Plata during that time period.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have a flight booked to Seville on 28th March '22, and will commence walking the following day. I am *very* excited by Alan's description of marching north at the pace of Spring!
I hope to make it to Santiago in roughly five weeks, so Granada wasn't an option for me this time.
But if the OP hasn't been to Granada before, my tip would be to book a guided tour of the Alhambra Palace several weeks before you leave home. It is very popular but for good reason!

There is also the option of starting from Malaga, which I did in 2008.

If you start from Malaga and continue after SdC to Finisterre, then you will have walked coast to coast, Med to Atlantic through the guts of Spain. Now how good is that??!!
My planned Mediterranean to Atlantic starting in Cadiz to Santiago on to A Coruña……Cadiz to Seville was good but had to postpone the VDLP section. One day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a flight booked to Seville on 28th March '22, and will commence walking the following day. I am *very* excited by Alan's description of marching north at the pace of Spring!
I hope to make it to Santiago in roughly five weeks, so Granada wasn't an option for me this time.
But if the OP hasn't been to Granada before, my tip would be to book a guided tour of the Alhambra Palace several weeks before you leave home. It is very popular but for good reason!
Some years ago, starting in Sevilla, we walked the VdlP "at the pace of spring. " it was a wonderful experience. Remember thought, nights can be bitterly cold in unheated albergues, and there will likely be many rainy (and cold) days. There were not many pilgrims on that route but I suspect that has changed.

I'll just add the potential options for starting in Gibraltar or Cadíz.

I'll just add the potential options for starting in Gibraltar or Cadíz.
I walked Cadiz to Seville early March 2019. It’s not a very interesting Camino once out of Cadiz and maybe Jerez, little infrastructure and boring beside train track paths. We were fortunate to not have rain because I think day 3 was across a very long field of dry clay which would be impossible to cross in rain or if mud. I’d say from Gibraltar or Malaga.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you everyone for your comments. Yes I agree there is no "better" experience as it's my own camino.
At this stage I am thinking walking from Granada to Cordoba to get my history fix, and then nipping over to Sevilla.
Buen Camino

Some years ago, starting in Sevilla, we walked the VdlP "at the pace of spring. " it was a wonderful experience. Remember thought, nights can be bitterly cold in unheated albergues, and there will likely be many rainy (and cold) days. There were not many pilgrims on that route but I suspect that has changed.
I'll be starting next year on April 8th and wasn't sure how cold it might be regarding how much warm clothing to bring, but reading your reply I think I will bring my puffy coat.

I'll be starting roughly a week after you and looking forward to it! Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We were in Granada and Cordoba a few years back for Semana Santa and the weather wasn't cold. It was actually pretty sunny and warm. But you know, it changes every year. I'd just be sure to layer. The only few times I've been COLD on the Camino were actually all in Santo Domingo in May/June and I was FREEZING!

Starting in Seville on 1 April, I think we are anticipating sunshine, rain, cold, heat and anything in between We seem to always walk with more or less the same clothes (layers) in our pack - though haven’t walked in winter.

Not so far away now … for those of us planning to walk next Spring. Exciting. Enjoy 😎

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back