• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start from Roncesvalles or Pamplona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileymadd

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2011) VdLP (2013) Camino Portuguese (2016) Camino Finisterre/Muxia (2016) Camino Ingles (2017)
We had planned to start our Camino from Roncesvalles but now may have some time restrictions and wondered if we should start from Pamplona (arriving by train from Barcelona). We have read that the walk from Roncesvalles to Pamplona is quite beautiful and not too difficult which sounds perfect for us as first time walkers, so we are in two minds about missing this beautiful part. We have made a decision to bus into and out of Burgos and Leon (we intend spending time in these two cities) as the general consensus on the forum seems to be these would be the best places to save some time. We want to walk the whole of the meseta. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are also going to be pressed for time this year, having only 33 days available. (we are in the over 65 age group - 69 and 73 respectively), so don´t walk as fast as the young ones)! The thought of choosing betwen Roncevalles and Pamplona came into our minds, but I would rather start in Roncevalles. The Pilgrim Mass there is a perfect way to begin the Pilgrimage, the 2 day walk down to Pamplona is beautiful. I would rather (and probably will have to) cheat a little by taking the bus in and out of Leon and then, if time starts to get short, take the bus out of Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo. The last time we walked the Camino Francés, we took the alternate route into Burgos, mostly going all the way along the river. It is a very pleasant walk, quite different to the trek into the city going along the industrial zone. If anyone is interested, I can re-post this route again. Anne

I have stated often (and irritatingly) that Pamplona is a great starting place. You can get all the urban stuff done (cell phone, internet, credential, etc.), and either head out to Cizur Menor that day, or choose the next day between Uterga, Eunate/Obanos, or Puente La Reina for your first full day. The scenery between Roncesvalles and Pamplona is no better than any other, including the meseta if that is to your taste. Don't go to Roncesvalles just to be macho. The mass is a pretty good reason, but there is a great mass at Los Arcos, and several other places. Please yourself, not others.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wouldn't say that the walk between Roncesvalles and Pamplona is a cake walk. I seem to remember some pretty challenging scree and rocks coming down into Zubiri. It is no more beautiful than some other sections (you spend some time in what I would call the "green tunnel") so I agree that if you are challenged for time, beginning in Pamplona and give yourself a little flexibility on time. Besides, the first day out of Pamplona can be a killer on the knees--at least it was for me coming down Alto de Pardon!

Anna could you please re-post the route along the river going into Burgos, the industrial zone leaves a lot to be desired! Many thanks.
Sandra :arrow:

falcon269 said:
The scenery between Roncesvalles and Pamplona is no better than any other, including the meseta if that is to your taste.
I disagree Falcon, descending the Pyrenees has nothing to do with being macho, rather to enjoy some delightful villages and beautiful scenery especially as far as Zubiri. You can get your credential in Roncevalles and Internet is also available there. Personally, as I wrote previously, I would rather start in Roncevalles and if necessary, pick up the bus in and out of Leon if running out of time. FYI, I also love walking the meseta! Anne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Smileymadd
don't want to get too "Camino" or zen on ya,but you start where you start, its your Camino its an internal thang.
Because of the way we live tied to timetables its easy to want to cherry pick what you or some one else may think is the most unmissable,which to my mind is not the way, just put your feet on the Camino and chillax 8)
Ian
Oh don't forget to walk

Thank you everyone for your opinions, so wonderful to have such a varied response. We have chosen to stay with our original plan to leave from Roncesvalles as we feel like it is 'our start'. Very much looking forward to spending a lot less time thinking of what's ahead and just letting the Camino decide.
Relinquishing a controlling mindset is a start for us, three weeks to go. Thanks again.

smileymadd said:
Very much looking forward to spending a lot less time thinking of what's ahead and just letting the Camino decide.
Relinquishing a controlling mindset is a start for us, three weeks to go. Thanks again.

Well done smileymad - and well said :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Smileymadd.
Since you have decided to start from roncesvalles take a look at the post below yours about new albergue in Roncesvalles.
Hope you get a nice weather on your walk down to Pamplona. Buen camino!
Randi

Thanks Randi for drawing our attention to the new albergue posting, wow.
smileymadd.

Having experienced both starts I would also give Roncesvalles the nod , however , Pamplona is a lot easier to get to and the terain is a lot less demanding as a starting point.I feel that you probably would be missing out if you you were not to start off in the misty mountains , it will be a while till you come accross the next range.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As well as a long journey to Spain like smileymadd, I have time constraints too!I have thought a lot about where to skip and obviously would love to do the whole route, but can't. So with 26 days walking time, I have chosen to start from Roncesvalles on 5 July and walk the first two stages to Pamplona, where I know it will be busy because of San Fermin. I chose Roncesvalles as I really want to visit it and start off my journey after the Pilgrim Mass. Then in Pamplona, I hope to get a bus to Logrono, then change to Santo Domingo and hopefully walk the rest of The Way in 24 days from there. In training now 2 days + a morning a week with an 8 kg pack around the hills of Lantau. I'm very excited at this as I have been wanting to do it for many years and finally have a whole month free in the summer and my wife has told me to just go and do it as it has been my dream for so long.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Sue and Judy,
Hope all your preparations are going well. I started from Roncesvalles in 2007 and it was wonderful.
This year I don't feel quite up to coming down the Pyrenees, but am so happy that I did it when I could and that I experienced the Mass and Blessing in Roncesvalles.
If you don't know the words of the REGINA CAELI off by heart try and get the words from your local priest so that you can join in when they sing it after Mass.
You will most probably catch up on me as I am starting from Pamplona on May 4th, but going slowly.

Buen Camino,

Lydia.

We are also going to be pressed for time this year, having only 33 days available. (we are in the over 65 age group - 69 and 73 respectively), so don´t walk as fast as the young ones)! The thought of choosing betwen Roncevalles and Pamplona came into our minds, but I would rather start in Roncevalles. The Pilgrim Mass there is a perfect way to begin the Pilgrimage, the 2 day walk down to Pamplona is beautiful. I would rather (and probably will have to) cheat a little by taking the bus in and out of Leon and then, if time starts to get short, take the bus out of Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo. The last time we walked the Camino Francés, we took the alternate route into Burgos, mostly going all the way along the river. It is a very pleasant walk, quite different to the trek into the city going along the industrial zone. If anyone is interested, I can re-post this route again. Anne
I know this was long ago but I would love to see your route !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back