• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start in León walk a bit then bus or taxi to Sarría

Donamigo

We only have two weeks for the camino ( this time) thinking fly to Madrid, Bus to León, recover in Leon, then walk, maybe jump ahead to ponferada and to Sarria to start the pilgrimage.

Does this sound reasonable? Or is it better to just go to where we can spend the most time walking.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Leon is roughly 300 kilometers from Santiago, and please don't sleep off your jet lag and run off down the Camino -Leon is a marvelous city the cathedral is a magnificant example of Gothic architecture but I especially love the Romanesque St Isodoro and yes do the tour even in Spanish it is amazing. Having said that you just lost two days walking and we haven't begun to talk about say Astorga or Samos! A day to get back home and you are looking at ten days +-. Santiago desrves a day or two, so you are rapidly losing walking days so plan well! Sarria to Santiago is not difficult, the countryside is often magnificant - the cities, well, much less so. Weekends on this stretch can be hectic since it is often used as an inexpensive walking holiday by the Spanish and it may be difficult to find lodging, you might wait to be seated to eat. I would see this attempt as a first course, a tasty something before you come back to Spain with enough time to do and see and exerience as much as your soul can absorb of a most wonderful moving and exciting encounter -first with yourself and secondly with the Camino and those people around you there.
PS The Camino in Galicia is also a popular passage for the local livestock, cows, sheep, horses etc-the mud you see on the Camino there is often not mud! You have been warned.
PPS Ponferrada is nothing to write home about. The church is more interesting than the Disneyland "Templar" castle.
S.

It is two weeks from Leon to Santiago. If you fall behind, you can definitely take buses and taxis to move ahead.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I started in Astorga and made it to Santiago in a comfortable ten days. I ended up with a day to spare in the end. The only section I would have been happy to miss was the walk from Astorga to Rabanal. Ponferrada to Camponaraya is a bit dull too. If you're pushed for time I wouldn't be too bothered about bussing/taxiing those sections.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back