• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start in Llanes

Redfishsword

Hi everyone,

am starting the El Camino del Norte from Llanes on May 6 and am hoping to be in Santiago around May 26. Does anybody have some recommendations regarding the hostels or private pensions? Weather along the coast does seem a little unpredictable but gathering from the pictures on this site the Camino del Norte really has its highlights.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Its quiet, peaceful and the people are friendly and helpful. The pilgrim accomodation is a bit limited, just ask around as you go. I am sure someone will have a list but I always found something. The guardia are good at finding places, the religious establishments less so, with one or two honorable exceptions. The terrain is fairly up and down.....Buen Camino!

Thank you. Have just arrived in Santiago after completing the route in 21 days. About half the time the weather was bad, but the solitude and the route itself especially from Ribadeo was an exhilirating experience. The alberques in Andalusia were in part in a pitiful state. The albergue in Codaveira had a leaking roof and the walls were covered with mould - escaped to nearby private accommodatino - Casa Carin - which I can really recommend. There is a new albergue also in Ganton which can really be recommended.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Redfishsword
Thanks for the info. I'll start the Camino del Norte this Sunday the 1st of June from Portugalete/Bilbao and I hope to make it to Santiago in 27 days. How was the way marking?
/Freddie

Hello Freddie, the markings vary considerably. I had the impression that some municipalities placed great emphasis on pilgrims while others couldn't care. In Galicia in general the markings were clear and recently renewed but also had to ask locals for directions here and there. All in all the people are friendly and keen to show a pilgrim which way to go. In some areas on the coastal route the paths and markings were covered by dense undergrowth. Some pilgrims therefore chose to walk many of the stretches on the national roads which is unpleasant because of dense truck traffic. In recent days lots of the paths have become very muddy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.