• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

start in Porto ?

djgolf

Hi, I am Nik and coming from Slovenia, starting end of September. How can I find a starting point in Porto? Can I get a pilgrim certificate and a route map there ? Kind regards

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,

I did the Camino Portuguese starting from Porto in August. You can get your credencial at the information desk in the Cathedral (where you would pay to get entry to the cloister). You need to pay a small fee for the credencial (50 cents, I think). You enter the Cathedral via the large door that faces the plaza that gives you a view of the river. On the opposite side of the plaza from the main door and a bit to the right, you will see a stone ramp/stairs going down hill. You will pick up the first marker here. The cathedral does not provide you with any information about the route. I used the Brierley guidebook to the Camino Portugues (available from amazon). It is excellent as it has good descriptions, maps of the route within larger cities and towns, info on accomodation, easy to read maps of the route, topographical advice, etc. The way marking in Portugal is very good indeed. The marking out of the city of Porto is also good. However, there are a few places where you could go astray if you didn't have a map which helped you know where to look for way marks. In Spain, particularly between Tui and Ponte de Lima, the waymarking could be a lot better. Here a guide book definately helps. The CSJ website has a downloadable guide (see link above just below the map). It is free to download, but they do ask for a donation. I haven't used their Camino Portugues guide, but are ususally quite detailed. However, they don't have maps and topos. Check out the mundicamino website for this. Still, I would go with Brierley if you can get it shipped to you in time. Check out my 'live from the camino'. I mention the areas where the way marking is problematic. Leaving Tui is particularly challenging.

I did the Caminho Portugues 22-31 july 2009 and started in Maia.
I took the Metro from the station Trindad to Maia and found the Caminho at the church "Igreja da Maia".
I used John Brierleys book - Camino Portugués - and found it very good.
The first day was it raining cats and dogs - every time a car passed a "bucket" of water was poured into my boots - but I still made it to the Alberge in Rates.
A special muito obrigado de vossa hospitalidade to the hospitaleiros in Rates.
They made surre that the pilgrims could get their cloth and fodwear dry to the next day and we also experienced the Queimada after a well prepared dinner :D :D

Bom Caminho

jeff001 said:
The route is marked from the cathedral in Porto. You can obtain a credential there but I don't think they have a map.

my question is which Cathedral?? i am in porto, and will just go ask, but when i look around i see many cathedrals. is there a name?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
johnnyesparto said:
jeff001 said:
The route is marked from the cathedral in Porto. You can obtain a credential there but I don't think they have a map.

my question is which Cathedral?? i am in porto, and will just go ask, but when i look around i see many cathedrals. is there a name?

It's called ''Cé'' and it's just a short minute walk up the hill from the train station.

Have a good walk!
Jean-Marc

Canuck said:
johnnyesparto said:
jeff001 said:

It's called ''Cé'' and it's just a short minute walk up the hill from the train station.

Have a good walk!
Jean-Marc

thanks, i found that within minutes, the rain was stressing me for a bit, finally sunshine in porto, i start my walk from barcelos tomorrow to pt de lima.....buen camino, i will report back on open alberque etc.....

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back