• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start in the rain

Maxcheese

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi guys!

I'm scheduled to start from SJPDP on tuesday and the forecast is 90% rain :(
I'm not sure if the Napoleon route will be accessible. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should spend one more night in St-Jean and start the following day (50% forecast) or just suck it up and go with it. Anybody had a similar experience?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi guys!

I'm not sure if the Napoleon route will be accessible. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should spend one more night in St-Jean and start the following day (50% forecast) or just suck it up and go with it. Anybody had a similar experience?
In your own words Max. ‘Just suck it up’. On the positive side : With that forecast ., you’ll probably get the ‘10% it won’t rain’..
Regardless ; honestly , once you start out and you’ve got your rain gear on - you find its ok.
The pilgrim office in Sjpdp will give you an update before you start walking if you pop in. A very good idea to check with them.

If it’s not raining when you start., make sure the gear you need is easily accessible so you don’t get caught out.

Buen camino
Annie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Check in with the Pilgrims Office in St Jean, they have constant weather updates for Orisson. My tip concentrate on the apparent temperature (current temp corrected for wind chill) the wind speed and direction and how heavy the rain is. Remember it can (and does) snow on this route anytime of the year. Whilst the Napoleon is a challenge you don't want to ruin your camino on the first day, so if the weather is unsuitable be prepared to take the Valcarlos trail in necessary.
Buen Camino

On my first Camino there was a heavy fog and a continuous drizzle that left me soaking wet. But I made it without regretting it, also because of the two giant vultures coming right towards me out of the fog, about 30-40 meters away (I didn’t have a good recipe at that moment....).

But, having a dog, I’m used to making long walks in bad weather. On the other hand, a modern day pilgrimage shouldn’t have to be about punishing yourself, although overcoming a certain degree of inconveniences kind of goes with it.

My best advice would be to check the weather forecast when you get to St. Jean. Always put safety first! Though in this season a safe mountain passage shouldn’t be a problem. Then decide for yourself (if the rain forecast is bad) what you’re willing to endure without the weather taking all the joy out of it.

In hindsight, I think I would have preferred to wait another day. Maybe I wouldn’t have seen the vultures, but at least I would have noticed that I was actually walking up a mountain... (thankfully it was sunny the second time I walked the Frances).

The most important advice I can give you is: make sure to enjoy your Camino .... whatever it takes. Or ‘leaves’.

Hi guys!

Do you only plan to walk when it’s not raining? ;)
Some years I Have walked for days on end in the rain. I love it ....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi guys!

Are you serious? I mean, asking if anybody has had a similar experience? Please, what do you really think?!!!
It is a lottery. one day the sun shines, the next day it could be pelting down with rain. On my most recent Camino, when it came to a certain point, there was nothing else to do but hold my sides with the laughing - there was no sign of the rain abating, rather it seemed that the gods were upending buckets down upon us! Add the fierce winds and it is even more hilarious.
Returning to your query, your choice, you are the one who will set out. As recommended above, just keep the rain gear at hand! Buen Camino.

Cheese-up, your from Canada and I'm sure your familiar with being outdoors in all climates. It's the Pyrenees, the climate changes constantly. I left this time last year in 30 degree heat then a fog descended over mountain when I reached the top obstructing view. On my descent had couple of metres visibility. I'd much rather walk in a little rain, cooling me as opposed to full glare of the baking Sun. Like the Camino and indeed life it's unpredictable so be prepared and if you look for bad weather it'll follow you around, there is no such thing as bad weather, it's simply the wrong clothes. Get on with it, you'll be grateful for the opportunity to dance in the rain by end of your 500+ miles 🤠

Last edited:
As it is early September I doubt there will be snow but one never knows. Check the pilgrim office and see what is what. In 2014 I walked from Le Puy and got to SJPP about September 25th. We woke up the net morning and the sky was black with clouds and pouring rain. Went across the street to the Pilgrim Office and they said heavy rain and high winds and who knows what at the top. I saw some friends who were walking and they asked where my pack was. I said I am going back to bed. I am not walking in this mess because it could be horrendous after Orisson. I will wait until tomorrow. Next morning was blue skies and a great but a little muddy walk. Met my friends later on the Camino and they said the wind was so strong it almost knocked them over. There was hail, freezing rain in their faces. Just misery. If it was the Meseta or just about anywhere else on any Camino I would have walked. On the same Camino I walked up to O Cebreiro in the pouring rain and higher up in snow. WIth those rocks it was pretty tough and really slippery but doable. In any manner, shape or form it was not a fun day one bit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am big into photography and rainy days for me are the absolute pits. If it were me, and better weather were a day or two ahead, I would wait. The scenery over the mountain is amazing. If you are under severe time constraints, then wait anyway and skip ahead a day somewhere else. My two cents.

Cheese-up, your from Canada and I'm sure your familiar with being outdoors in all climates. It's the Pyrenees, the climate changes constantly. I left this time last year in 30 degree heat then a fog descended over mountain when I reached the top obstructing view. On my descent had couple of metres visibility. I'd much rather walk in a little rain, cooling me as opposed to full glare of the baking Sun. Like the Camino and indeed life it's unpredictable so be prepared and if you look for bad weather it'll follow you around, there is no such thing as bad weather, it's simply the wrong clothes. Get on with it, you'll be grateful for the opportunity to dance in the rain by end of your 500+ miles 🤠
You aren't kidding! It was raining last month when I started my Camino. I would've given anything for rain on the Meseta recently in the 45C heat.

As has already been said, the pilgrims office in SJPP is a huge help.

Buen Camino!

Hi guys!

I sure have, twice I have walk first day in the rain and once on rout Napolean in 33 deg,. My advice is stay i St John, but it could last a few days. So have you got time are you booked anywhere. If you do go in the rain do the valley and try and stay on the road as long as possable. My daughter and I did St John to Valcarlos then next day to roncessvarles we did a lot of walking on the road it tipped down for a week, back in April this year. Watch the temp, as well as the rain try and stay out of anything below 5 deg, But you will make it have faith in your self good luck God bless.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi guys!

I walked the Napoleon route on Sunday and it was meant to be heavy rain and it did not materialise. The weather changes all the time in the mountains.

I suggest doing what we did, go to the Pilgrim office and take their advice.

It's a great first day - Enjoy

Thank you all! Like you said, first things first. I'll be in St-Jean monday, but considering my albergues are already booked in St-Jean for monday and also Roncesvalles the following day, I'll guess I'll have to deal with whatever's gonna come by ;)

If you want you can start practicing walking in the rain tomorrow with a 50% chance in your city.

I am shure you will enjoy your camino! Enjoy, I live next door to your city!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We start from St Jean on Sunday. When I walked the Camino in late March 2015 the Napoleon route was open but when we got to the top it was bright sunshine and glaring white snow. So we just stepped into other pilgrims footsteps. My question now is if there is no snow steps to follow are there Camino Way signs to keep us on track to Roncevalles from Orisson?

We start from St Jean on Sunday. When I walked the Camino in late March 2015 the Napoleon route was open but when we got to the top it was bright sunshine and glaring white snow. So we just stepped into other pilgrims footsteps. My question now is if there is no snow steps to follow are there Camino Way signs to keep us on track to Roncevalles from Orisson?

I sincerely doubt that will be an issue for you :)

But a direct answer to the question: If it is that unclear as to where the roadway and pathways are under a snowfall, and you are uncertain how to proceed, then turn back, as there are no ready way markers that would be consistent to show you the track to take. :)

Thank you. I’m hoping there won’t be any snow this time! Maybe a very worn track from all the previous Peregrinos. 👍😀🤞🙏

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you all! Like you said, first things first. I'll be in St-Jean monday, but considering my albergues are already booked in St-Jean for monday and also Roncesvalles the following day, I'll guess I'll have to deal with whatever's gonna come by ;)
Your in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing. You'll meet stranger's within hours of arriving in St Jean, forge potential friendship by morning and you and your potential camino family will be in it together come hell or high water, if you stayed another day you might avoid the high water but mountain could be hell on your own, or maybe not. Eitherway Ultreia 🤠

Last edited:
Hi guys!

We walked September of 2017. Our first 3 days were non stop rain. I was glad to stop in Orisson, but had sleet and rain up and over the Pyrenees the next day. We had on our rain gear, and like they say, 'Sucked it up'. Great tip we learned - put dry newspaper in your boots as soon as you can to help they dry out for the next day. Buen Camino

In early September 2009, I walked in what turned out to be wind and sleet over the Pyrenees the day after a spectacular sunny, warm day. Almost anything in weather is possible.

We started out from St Jean to Roncesvalles on 1st September 2 years ago. It rained for most of the first five hours and got quite misty the higher we got, so didn’t have great views on the ascent. However, by mid afternoon it cleared and we enjoyed good weather on the descent to Roncesvalles. Just go with it. There will be plenty of other walkers regardless of the rain.

Hi guys!

Suck it up and head off. That's what I did, and I never looked back. Buen Camino 😊

If I have the means to stay warm and dry I find it quite pleasant to walk in the rain. If walking near a road with cars then visibility is a concern too. If it is snowing I would not even consider walking the Napolean route.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another option is to just not to look at the forecast beforehand and take it whatever day it is.....

(Obviously for safety check the pilgrims office before you set out. )

Hi guys!

Hi there. We are currently walking the Camino. We crossed the Pyrenees. Sunday morning to Orisson then over to Roncevalles Monday. We were blessed with beautiful weather. The next day Tuesday 19th Sept it poured with rain all day and pilgrims said they were advised not to go over the top. My advice, if possible, wait for chance of better weather. You can enjoy the views and it’s safer. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
Greetings all! So I'm a "proper planning prevents poor performance", kinda guy. I was able to make a loose schedule for my Camino Frances last year that worked extremely well, and allowed me to...
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back