• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start now, start where you are........

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I just wanted to share a quote:
"Start now. Start where you are. Start with fear. Start with pain. Start with doubt. Start with hands shaking. Start with the voice trembling, but start. Start and don't stop. Start where you are, with what you have. Just....start" Author unknown. This was sent to me by me sweet Daughter in Law. She knows I'm a little nervous about this journey that I will undertake this coming September. It made me finally commit!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"Start now. Start where you are. Start with fear. Start with pain. Start with doubt. Start with hands shaking. Start with the voice trembling, but start. Start and don't stop. Start where you are, with what you have. Just....start" Author unknown. This was sent to me by me sweet Daughter in Law. She knows I'm a little nervous about this journey that I will undertake this coming September. It made me finally commit!!!!
A great quote. Defenitely one to remember. It can of course apply to anything we wish to do in our lives but hesitate to try. You will have a great time with your daughter. Best wishes Annette.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great words, they say it all.
All the best to you both, Peter.

“Come to the edge," he said.
"We can't, we're afraid!" they responded.
"Come to the edge," he said.
"We can't, We will fall!" they responded.
And so they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.”
― Guillaume Apollinaire

Sounds like your daughter in law gave you a push!!! Good for her and Buen Camino to you!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That quote is beautiful and absolutely perfect. Made me tear up.

Your quote is beautiful and inspiring @Joodle

A gift for you, from a favourite poet of mine:

Start close in,
don’t take the second step
or the third,
start with the first
thing
close in,
the step
you don’t want to take.

Start with
the ground
you know,
the pale ground
beneath your feet,
your own
way of starting
the conversation.

Start with your own
question,
give up on other
people’s questions,
don’t let them
smother something
simple.

To find
another’s voice,
follow
your own voice,
wait until
that voice
becomes a
private ear
listening
to another.

Start right now
take a small step
you can call your own
don’t follow
someone else’s
heroics, be humble
and focused,
start close in,
don’t mistake
that other
for your own.

Start close in,
don’t take
the second step
or the third,
start with the first
thing
close in,
the step
you don’t want to take.

David Whyte
River Flow: New and Selected Poems

I have had a hard time with this decision as I have felt very guilty that I am able to go and do something like this. I have lost two sisters, one was my twin, who would have given anything to be able to do this. They both passed away in the last 5 years. I am hoping to come to terms with their loss and be able to live joyfully without guilt for doing so.
“Come to the edge," he said.
"We can't, we're afraid!" they responded.
"We can't, We will fall!" they responded.
And so they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.”
― Guillaume Apollinaire

Sounds like your daughter in law gave you a push!!! Good for her and Buen Camino to you!!
I'm a bit afraid to come to the edge since losing my ide
Your quote is beautiful and inspiring @Joodle

A gift for you, from a favourite poet of mine:

Start close in,
don’t take the second step
or the third,
start with the first
thing
close in,
the step
you don’t want to take.

Start with
the ground
you know,
the pale ground
beneath your feet,
your own
way of starting
the conversation.

Start with your own
question,
give up on other
people’s questions,
don’t let them
smother something
simple.

To find
another’s voice,
follow
your own voice,
wait until
that voice
becomes a
private ear
listening
to another.

Start right now
take a small step
you can call your own
don’t follow
someone else’s
heroics, be humble
and focused,
start close in,
don’t mistake
that other
for your own.

Start close in,
don’t take
the second step
or the third,
start with the first
thing
close in,
the step
you don’t want to take.

David Whyte
River Flow: New and Selected Poems
Thank you, that was a gift! I loved it!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Joodle,
I can only guess at the mixture of emotions you are experiencing stemming from your past loss and future joy. I can only ask the question if your sisters could speak to you now and you told them about your feelings of guilt because you have this life changing opportunity to feel the joy that is in the world, what do you think they would say? I cannot answer for them or you, but my thought is that you should go to the edge and jump, without guilt and without looking back. Guilt serves no-one, joy serves everyone.
Aidan

Hi Joodle,
I can only guess at the mixture of emotions you are experiencing stemming from your past loss and future joy. I can only ask the question if your sisters could speak to you now and you told them about your feelings of guilt because you have this life changing opportunity to feel the joy that is in the world, what do you think they would say? I cannot answer for them or you, but my thought is that you should go to the edge and jump, without guilt and without looking back. Guilt serves no-one, joy serves everyone.
Aidan
AMEN AIDAN!!!!:)

"Start now. Start where you are. Start with fear. Start with pain. Start with doubt. Start with hands shaking. Start with the voice trembling, but start. Start and don't stop. Start where you are, with what you have. Just....start" Author unknown.
Actually, the author is easily traced. The quote is attributed to the Nigerian author Ijeoma Umebinyuo (https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/9884938.Ijeoma_Umebinyuo).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have had a hard time with this decision as I have felt very guilty that I am able to go and do something like this. I have lost two sisters, one was my twin, who would have given anything to be able to do this. They both passed away in the last 5 years. I am hoping to come to terms with their loss and be able to live joyfully without guilt for doing so.

Both my husband's and my parents died in the 5 years before we walked our Camino, 2 with dementia, 1 from cancer and the other from a worn out heart. They were all good people and we often thought of them all as we walked, commenting on where they would have liked to stop, what they would have looked at and laughing (from fond memories) at what we knew would be some of their reactions. My mother, in particular, who died from Lewys Bodies Dementia would have come along with us but then, in her own way, she did.

You may well find that your sisters walk a similar Healing Camino with you. You certainly will not be walking alone.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Both my husband's and my parents died in the 5 years before we walked our Camino, 2 with dementia, 1 from cancer and the other from a worn out heart. They were all good people and we often thought of them all as we walked, commenting on where they would have liked to stop, what they would have looked at and laughing (from fond memories) at what we knew would be some of their reactions. My mother, in particular, who died from Lewys Bodies Dementia would have come along with us but then, in her own way, she did.

You may well find that your sisters walk a similar Healing Camino with you. You certainly will not be walking alone.[/QUOTE
Thank you. I hope to be able to feel their spirits cheering me on when I get tired or discouraged.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back