• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Start of Camino in Lisbon

Walkingboy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France
I have just noticed that the Camino actually starts at the Church of Santiago in Lisbon and not the Cathedral. How many people start at the church as opposed to the cathedral? Starting on the 15 March and want to get it right.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
want to get it right.
There is no right solution, unless you subscribe to the idea that you should walk from your parish church at home. Where exactly you start is up to you. Many people would consider it symbolic to start at either one, and get a stamp from one or both. They are less than 1 km apart.

The church of Santiago is about a 3 minute walk from the cathedral. The arrows start at the Cathedral. Maybe someone has an update that proves me wrong, but this is the way it was the last time I checked. Some go to the Santiago church to get a stamp and then contnue on to the Cathedral, where you will see the first arrow on the bottom right side as you walk up the steps to enter the Cathedral. Oh, what I would give……

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The church of Santiago is about a 3 minute walk from the cathedral. The arrows start at the Cathedral. Maybe someone has an update that proves me wrong, but this is the way it was the last time I checke. Some go to the Santiago church to get a stamp and then contnue on to the Cathedral, where you will see the first arrow on the bottom right side as you walk up the steps to enter the Cathedral. Oh, what I would give……
We can ask Aurélio. He showed us around during a touristical tour round Lisbon and he showed us the igreja de Santiago and told us that that is the beginning of the caminho in Lisbon.

There is a sign in front of the church of Santiago saying it is the beginning of the camino. But I have never seen it open. As @peregrino2000 says, the church and the cathedral are very close to each other, so you can easily visit both. Start with the church of Santiago, go downhill to the cathedral and then pick up the (hard to spot) arrow on the bottom of the façade of the cathedral (on the right), heading downhill past the orange trees with the cathedral on your left. Bom caminho!

There is a sign in front of the church of Santiago saying it is the beginning of the camino. But I have never seen it open. As @peregrino2000 says, the church and the cathedral are very close to each other, so you can easily visit both. Start with the church of Santiago, go downhill to the cathedral and then pick up the (hard to spot) arrow on the bottom of the façade of the cathedral (on the right), heading downhill past the orange trees with the cathedral on your left. Bom caminho!
Together with Aurélio we have been in the church of Santiago Even this week I watched the video I made inside . Very beautifull church. And indeed it is close to the Sé.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Think I will do that. Cover both bases that way. Cheers

Just good luck finding the Cathedral - I was wondering around for ages. Bit embarrassing not being able to find the start!

I have just noticed that the Camino actually starts at the Church of Santiago in Lisbon and not the Cathedral. How many people start at the church as opposed to the cathedral? Starting on the 15 March and want to get it right.

You can go and make your own decision. The Santiago Church has been closed every time I have been there. The cathedral is always open :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If anyone wants a map and step-by-step guide from the church of Santiago to the cathedral, you can see it here. We were not inside the church, unfortunately, but indeed, it is difficult to find below the castle of St George. We wandered around a while looking for the inconspicuous structure. However, I found it important to find, since the signs announce it is the start of the The Caminho, "Here Begins the Way" in English and Portuguese. And as the last photo shows, the first yellow arrow is at this church, in the lower right hand corner of the photo (at least it was several years ago), but we couldn't find any more arrows directing us to the cathedral from here, although as my map shows it is a short, straightforward walk. We visited the Igreja de Santiago the day before, so we didn't have to stress about finding it.

Attachments

• igreja-de-santiago.jpg
    igreja-de-santiago.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 32
  • here-begins-the-way.jpg
    here-begins-the-way.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 610-km.jpg
    610-km.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 32
  • rich-and-elle-official-start.jpg
    rich-and-elle-official-start.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 33
It’s a couple of small streets over from the cathedral but unmarked and locked up. There is a sign indicating it is the church of santiago.

Attachments

• BB227248-B5F1-4B8E-AAC5-BA0E74B2A8A1.jpeg
    BB227248-B5F1-4B8E-AAC5-BA0E74B2A8A1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • C05803DC-C177-4DB7-A50C-9C0EC75DF7E7.jpeg
    C05803DC-C177-4DB7-A50C-9C0EC75DF7E7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • 71DEC42F-6EB4-41E3-A2B1-DBD1CB3ACC8D.jpeg
    71DEC42F-6EB4-41E3-A2B1-DBD1CB3ACC8D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have done a google maps and street view search and hopefully I can find my way from my hostel to The Church of Santiago. A stamp from there would be nice, but as it seems to be locked up a photo may have to do.
There’s no open office there I could find. I think the church is either under renovation or no longer used.

There’s no open office there I could find. I think the church is either under renovation or no longer used.

I have done a google maps and street view search and hopefully I can find my way from my hostel to The Church of Santiago. A stamp from there would be nice, but as it seems to be locked up a photo may have to do.

Well it was something they came up with just a few years ago but it is not even recommended anymore by the people behind the idea. Get a stamp in the Cathedral.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My friend and I started from the Cathedral. It is REALLY hard to see the arrow. We looked and looked for the first arrow and couldn't find it. I told my friend lets just go to the right and down the hill because we have to end up walking by the water. Just as we turned the corner there it was!!!

My friend and I started from the Cathedral. It is REALLY hard to see the arrow. We looked and looked for the first arrow and couldn't find it. I told my friend lets just go to the right and down the hill because we have to end up walking by the water. Just as we turned the corner there it was!!!
Ha - remember it well.

20210612_142021.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When was that picture taken? When i walked we saw the arrow on a bottom brick of the cathedral almost at sidewalk level and of course it seemed to have been painted right before the turn of the 20th Century!
That was June 21 - just around the corner as you begin the walk downwards away from the Cathedral. I was just relieved to have found the Cathedral! Beautiful city.

Back