• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start on Friday or Saturday (del Norte)

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
Hi, is it best to start walking out of Irun on a Friday or Saturday? Are shops closed on Saturday? Do they open late, close early? What would be the pros and cons? Does it really matter? Time frame will be the first week in July.

Thanks for your input 😊

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You should not have a problem with shops on either Friday or Saturday. Shops tend to open later in the morning in Spain but Irun is busy on the weekends. The only concern I would have about starting on Saturday is competing with tekkers who are out for a weekend walk.

Agree with Biarritzdon. Shouldn't matter.

Where are you staying at?

I have stayed at (https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/pensia3n-bowling.html) Pension Bowling twice. Simple, clean, nice place.

Many walkers stay there.

Woman who works there will make you a very nice salad or meal. She is so nice.
Gave me free ice cream after meals.

Weird name for the place. Has nothing to do with bowling.

When on the main road you have to walk down the steps to get to the place.
By the train tracks. Stores close by.

There is a small store close by. Ask for directions. There is a larger store no far from the TI office. Other stores in town as well.

The TI in Iran is worth a visit. Very helpful.

First day out you will go by a church up on the hill. Stop in for a visit.

Good luck.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Agree with Biarritzdon. Shouldn't matter.

Where are you staying at?

I have stayed at (https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/pensia3n-bowling.html) Pension Bowling twice. Simple, clean, nice place.

Many walkers stay there.

Woman who works there will make you a very nice salad or meal. She is so nice.
Gave me free ice cream after meals.

Weird name for the place. Has nothing to do with bowling.

When on the main road you have to walk down the steps to get to the place.
By the train tracks. Stores close by.

There is a small store close by. Ask for directions. There is a larger store no far from the TI office. Other stores in town as well.

The TI in Iran is worth a visit. Very helpful.

First day out you will go by a church up on the hill. Stop in for a visit.

Good luck.
yes you should get a free ice cream after the heafty price for a room. I checked they want 60 dollars Canadian for a room outrageous.

yes you should get a free ice cream after the heafty price for a room. I checked they want 60 dollars Canadian for a room outrageous.

Don’t recall paying such.

Guess she liked my wonderful looks and charm.

Gonna check what I paid. Will post later

Don’t recall paying such.

Guess she liked my wonderful looks and charm.

Gonna check what I paid. Will post later

I paid about 39 CAD per night

There is a super cheap place closer to the bus/train station.
It is dirty, smoky, bad folks hanging around. Smells horrible and a fire trap.
Overall a real dump.

I first had reservation there. Saw the place and room. Immediately got out of there. Lost one nights cost. Didn’t put bag down. Nasty owner made me pay for one night.

We then went to Bowling.

World of difference.

Each to their own. Regardless of how cheap the price, certain places not worth staying in.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I pulled it up on Booking.com its showing $45 US. That’s not too bad especially if I get free ice cream. 😉

Irun is actually not that cheap of a place.
Being so close to San Sebastián (Donostia), does not help.
Donostia is now one of the most expensive places in Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Irun is actually not that cheap of a place.
Being so close to San Sebastián (Donostia), does not help.
Donostia is now one of the most expensive places in Spain.
In my most recent searches for a place to stay in Irun I have to say the one you suggested is definitely a good price. I booked one night, I can always cancel if I find something else. I really wanted to stay in the alburgue but afraid it will be completo, besides with a reservation there is no need to rush from Paris. Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll try to stop in at the church on the hill to say hi. 🙂

You should not have a problem with shops on either Friday or Saturday. Shops tend to open later in the morning in Spain but Irun is busy on the weekends. The only concern I would have about starting on Saturday is competing with tekkers who are out for a weekend walk.
That first day has so many hills and for me was so tough I doubt anything would have distracted me!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, is it best to start walking out of Irun on a Friday or Saturday? Are shops closed on Saturday? Do they open late, close early? What would be the pros and cons? Does it really matter? Time frame will be the first week in July.

Thanks for your input 😊
As said before it will not matter unless of course it is a holiday and very little is open. You should be fine. There is only one municipal albergue but it is pretty big. It was a little crowded but I think there were plenty of beds when I started in late September 2018. Don't forget to stop at Gelateria Boulevard in San Sebastian if you want to taste some of the best ice cream anywhere!!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.