• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start out Light...and add Weight as you go!

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
OK. I've been reading all the great information here before we embark on our first Camino in 2015. I wish it was earlier, but excess weight, fitness, work pressures, finances etc all conspire against a 2014 trip.

So I'm getting the message loud and clear as far as equipment goes. Take the minimum, mail stuff forward that you don't use and so on. I'm even seeking out Ultra Lightweight gear when I can.

Now given that we plan to stay in B&B/Casa Ruals/Hotels, we have the chance to cut the weight down even more. But.........I want to keep things flexible. What if I don't take a sleeping bag/liner and end up wanting to stay in some Albergues. What if I do take a sleeping bag and then never use it........

So am I crazy... I thought, why not Start out Ultra Lite and then add weight as we go ....

i.e.

Only take one spare set of clothes. If I need more, buy some.
Don't take a sleeping bag. If I really want to use one, buy a cheap one en route.
Leave the water bladder at home. If I really find I miss it, buy one.

Given that a couple of hundred thousand people a year pass along the CF, I imagine there are a 'few' hiking gear shops along the way. At least in the larger towns. Are there?

My other thought was to set up a forward 'base' at my Brothers house in the UK. We will be coming from Australia. If we find that we need stuff, he can stick it in the mail.

Any thoughts appreciated..............

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes! I think it's a great idea to go "ultra-light" for your standards and simply acquire items as you think you will need. I am sure it would depend on what time of the year you will walk. I didn't see you mentioned that. Of course in the warmer months, you wouldn't need the heavier warm clothing or bag which you might like in the cooler months. Since you'll mostly stay out of the refugios, much of what you would be carrying would be provided by your lodging (generally speaking). There seems to be always a way to be taken care of. The last thing you want is to lug around items just for the sake you might need them for a few hours in 5-6 weeks.

I've come to learn the Camino takes from us what we want and provides for us what we need.

Trust in the arrows,
Simeon

Hi Robo,
Regarding, if you follow the "packing lists" of the veterans on this sight you'll be OK.
Basically 2 sets of light weight, quick dry clothes, Fleece, light weight rain gear etc. is all you need.
You won't need as much as you think you probably think.
Regarding sleeping bags, we carry them in Spain, just in case, but stay primarily in Casas, bars, hotels, etc.
In the warmer months you might only need a sleeping bag liner, as a back up.
Regarding equipment shops along the way, you will find them in the cities, which are few and far between, so might depend on when you need the "stuff"' as you might be a weeks walk away.
Again, if you follow the basic advice of the experienced you will be fine.
Buen Camino
Colin

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In theory all you need is cash/credit card/ATM . It'll end up more expensive since you won't be able to buy on sale or shop around.

There are things that are very fit important. Boots/shoes and your backpack. But other things you can buy when you find the need.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Re the time of year. Hmm. Tricky decision. At this stage we are thinking early May. We want to avoid the really hot weather and the big crowds, but don't want to freeze or get soaked :)

There are lots of camping/hiking stores, but the nearest one may be three days walk away, which is no use if you need something right then.

So I'd say take the lightest sleeping bag liner you can find (does you no good to be able to buy a bag up the road if its sunday night, and the only bed is in an albergue which won't take you without one); if you find you use it, you can replace it with a bag/something better when you reach a shop. But don't take the bladder or the extra clothing (because you can cope without for two or three days until you can buy the extra).

If in doubt, don't take it. You'll probably find half a dozen just like it discarded at albergues along the way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In relying on supply en route, you're waiving the selection and affordable prices offered by your merchants at home. This year I had omitted a fleece or insulated jacket from my load, since it was late May already. But this was a very cold and wet spring in Europe, and overnight temperatures in Bavaria were near freezing. So my souvenier of this trip was a micro-weight fleece from Ulm. Eventhough I bought the lightest, least expensive one on offer at a major outdoor outfitter, it was four times what a similar garment cost in the the US.

I had the same problem as Kitsambler last spring. It was so cold I found out I had to buy a fleece jacket, in Leon.
That was difficult, as they were too expensive, I thought, and not my size, or too heavy etc. I spent at least a couple of hours running around the city trying to find something. That time I could have used doing something more fun in Leon than walking around in the most crowded shopping streets. So that's something to consider, too. Shopping gear can be quite time consuming.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The idea seems to be great, but I think that you should at least take the minimal comfort.

If you have a big Camiño budget, then go ahead. I’m saying this regarding the prices in Spain. Also another thing that I’ve found very common in both Spain and Portugal is that the stocks sometimes are only refilled at one day per weak. So you could find a situation of wanting to buy something from one place, but it’s out of stock. Ok, there are other possibilities, but what if they cost plus 50 or even 100€? Yes, it could happen since you are searching for ultralight gear, and also because there is always a large gap between price in stores in here.

Pay also attention to your space on your backpack. If you are going to buy things, make sure you don’t forget to have space for them :p

May it’s still Spring, so you could find a very hot day in one day, and after that day, it’s raining like the biggest storm in the world.

One of the most important post's that I’ve seen on the Forum regarding going ultralight, it’s this one: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/gear-i-used-and-liked-for-the-camino-frances.20965/
I hope that I’ve helped you.

Bom Camiño.

Best Regards
Diogo

Another thing, you've talked in using postal service to send things from the UK to Spain.

Pay attention that for the normal service, it takes 5 to 6 working days to arrive, and to the express service, 2 to 3 working days. Don't forget about this.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
Hi, Robo. I would suggest taking the essentials, including an ultra light sleeping bag. Mont Bell has some great ones that weigh less than 1.5 pounds (24 ounces). I have one and it's flat-out amazing. I was surprised at how few hiking/camping stores there were along the Camino, when I walked last year. And there's no guarantee they will be open, when you pass them. (Siesta!!) I think one can carry all the essentials with a weight budget, for contents, of 10 pounds, plus the pack weight. No need to cut corners. You need less than you think. All the best, Rebecca.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.