• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start outside of Porto?

lovelyshell

Time of past OR future Camino
October/November 2016
I’ve been reading the walk out of Porto is uninspiring. Is it recommended to take a taxi outside of Porto to start? If so, which town? Moreira? Thanks so much!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The problem with editing any route is that it’s a slippery slope; where does one stop? Within the last 5k into Santiago on the Portuguese there is the best part of a kilometre alongside the carretera on a lower level on a dank slippy path festooned with literally thousands of used face masks. It took some real effort to so pollute what was never a particularly attractive stretch. If anything deserves missing out, then it is there - but it’s within the magic 100km …

It’s on the route; take it as it comes; or just start anywhere you please.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Where have you read that ?

If you follow the coastal route along the river and the ocean it is a beautiful walk

I agree if you start the Central route directly out of Porto it is a nightmare till Maia nearby the airport So walk the coastal and if you like the Central route, change at Vila do Conde or maybe you will get enthousiastic and continue the coastal all the way

Last edited:
I’ve been reading the walk out of Porto is uninspiring. Is it recommended to take a taxi outside of Porto to start? If so, which town? Moreira? Thanks so much!
Uninspiring. Like a poor performance of the 9th? Like Luton when they were playing kick and chase?
The Camino routes start anywhere and end in Santiago. If you want a perfect Camino, an inspiring Camino, or even just to get there all you need to do is walk. When you do that the Camino unfolds as it always does.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you follow the coastal route along the river and the ocean it is a beautiful walk
Definitely start at the Cathedral and walk along the river. Turn right when you get to the sea. This is the path known as the Senda Litoral - there are ample opportunities to cut across to the Central route further north.

The Stingy Nomads guide has good information about the different options.

Definitely start at the Cathedral and walk along the river. Turn right when you get to the sea. This is the path known as the Senda Litoral - there are ample opportunities to cut across to the Central route further north.

The Stingy Nomads guide has good information about the different options.

Thank you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you. I think I will walk central straight out of the city.
You will walk along very busy roads sometines at the hard shoulder or have to cross busy roads with heavy traffic if you leave the town in the direction of Mosteiro or Maia. Just after Maia it will be better and will you encounter the beautifull monastry from Vairão where is one of my favorite albergues , o Mosteiro do Vairão.

And a few kms after Vilarinho starts the rural area in the direction of São Pedro de Rates.
If you do not like the river-and coastal walk out of Porto use the metro as suggested by others here in this thread to e.g. Forum Maia or Vilar do Pinheiro station and walk from there.

The only thing I'd add is that if you are aiming to get to Vila do Conde that evening, going via the river and then along the coast it is more than 35km. You can shave a couple of km off by picking up the Avenida da Boavista near the centre of of Porto and walking in a straight line down to the sea, just before Matosinhos.
And if you do this, just before you reach Matosinhos there's an amazing sculpture looking out to sea called Tragedia do Mar

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can walk along the coast and stay in Matosinhos, then walk to Vila do Conde the next day, or you can take the metro to Matosinhos and walk to Vila do Conde the same day. Then it is easy to switch back to the central route.
I took the metro having been advised that the first stint was uninspiring. Others in our party walked out and all said it was 'uninspiring'.
We all stayed on the Coastal and enjoyed every step of it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can walk along the coast and stay in Matosinhos, then walk to Vila do Conde the next day, or you can take the metro to Matosinhos and walk to Vila do Conde the same day. Then it is easy to switch back to the central route.
In 2017 I took metro to Matosinhos. I then walked along the ocean. At Vila do Conde I walked back to the central route. I'm planning to do this again this May.

Just did it and I enjoyed it and i was there to walk not take taxis Watch Efrin Gonzales vendió on that very part of the walk

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Lovelyshell,
My sons and I landed in Porto around 2:00 pm a couple of years ago. We filled our water bottles in the airport (which is north of Porto), strapped on the backpacks and found the camino within a couple of kilometers of the airport. We walked to Vilarinho and stayed at Mosteiro de Vairao getting in about 5:00 pm. There was also a sign (if you choose) directing pilgrims toward the coastal and Vila do Conde.

As for the coastal route which the wife and I did last summer, I agree with what others said. We followed the Duoro river until we hit the Atlantic and turned north. It wasn't a bad walk at all.

Hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am willingly ready to admit I took the metro from Porto to the Coastal versus walking there. I don't think I missed much, really.
If you had hopped on bus 500 , following the coast to Matosinhos, you could have had an impression what it is like

Fwiw, I’m going to walk the central from the cathedral to Vairao a couple of days after you. I’m fine with the busy roads, industrial and commercial sections, and suburbs. The many such sections from sjpp-SdC were a good experience for me last year, although I didn’t know it or know why at the time. After reading so much about the lovely walk along the Douro and up to matosinhos, I’m going to do this when I come back to porto after my Camino, but as a sauntering, backpack-free tourist rather than a pilgrim :).

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know a lot of members are trying to steer you to the coastal route but you'll be just fine walking through town on the central. I walked the central all the way to Finisterre in 2019 and I enjoyed it very much.
Ultreia

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Absolutely agree to this idea by @auburnfive. @lovelyshell, since you want to reach the central route then Vila do Conde is an easy way to switch trails using an official path (from the guidebook map it looks something like 7km to reach the Central route from Vila do Conde).

I did the full walk from Lisbon to Santiago in the past and the beginning of the Coastal Route from Porto was my favorite part of the whole walk :) Here is the blog article I wrote about that first day out of Porto.

I have done both and love them equally. A must do is Casa Fernanda on the central and Ponte do Lima is spectacular. I happen to love the ocean air and the beaches and I relish a rest day in Viana do Castelo and Caminha. Sadly, you can't do them all in one Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can get the local train out, a little way

Matosinhos is a common place, at least if starting out on the coastal route. Many places to cut over to the central route.

I really enjoyed walking from the cathedral. I walked down to the river and along the river to the ocean, and then north along the shore to Vila do Conde where I turned west to join the Central.

I will be the first to acknowledge that any place you start a Camino (other than your front door) is completely arbitrary. Nevertheless, it seems fitting to start a pilgrimage in a church or monastery (as in Roncesvalles) or a cathedral. However, if you wish to walk a Camino from Moreira (or Matosinhos or somewhere else) to Santiago, that is just as valid as a Camino from Porto.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have done both and love them equally. A must do is Casa Fernanda on the central and Ponte do Lima is spectacular. I happen to love the ocean air and the beaches and I relish a rest day in Viana do Castelo and Caminha. Sadly, you can't do them all in one Camino.
You can do. Walk the coastal to Viana do Castelo
From there take the train in the direction of Porto and go out at the station of Tamel and walk 6 kms back to Fernanda’s. It’s 20 minutes by train to Tamel from Viana
next day ask Fernanda’s husband to take you to Barroselas where he works and take the train back to Viana do Castelo and continue your walk along the coast. I did do this many times. You even can go to Ponte de Lima if you like. Stay two nights at Fernanda’s and walk one day without backpack to Ponte de Lima and take the bus or a taxi back . It is only 14 kms back to Fernanda’s

Last edited:
You could always start at the airport. My preference is to walk along the river from Porto and turn right at the Atlantic 👍 There are several places where you can rejoin the Central route or just carry on along the coast.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Incorrect , follow the river to the fish market Matosinhos and stay the night after dining out.
We arrived for a late lunch and decided with the quality of the food from any of the 30 restr. along the street we might as well enjoy . A great day shared with many many pilgrims.

Im starting the Portugues next week and will getting the train to Barcelos to start there. If I had time I’d walk straight from Porto but I have decided I’d rather skip the city walking and do the variante espiritual instead. This is 1 extra day as opposed to 2 if I start in Porto. If you have time it probably makes sense to just walk from the centre following the routes suggested. If not, taxi/public transport out of town makes sense to me

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back