• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start point in Irun

H

Harv M

Hi - Wondering where the actual start point is in Irun for the Norte. I need to obtain the Passport and get on my way on the morning of Aug 15th.

I am coming in from Barcelona. Any recommendations as to whether I take the night bus (arrive 15th morning at 6 am and start walking), or take the train the night before and arrive 10pm the 14th? Looking for veteran advice! Thanks

Harv M

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi - Wondering where the actual start point is in Irun for the Norte.

The yellow arrows begin at the train station. But start wherever you like. I started in Soulac (near Bordeaux) :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The official starting point in Irun is the RENFE train station. You can get a Credencial at the Albergue de Peregrinos located on the Camino in Calle Lucas de Berroa.

As you leave the train station where the yellow arrows begin, follow Lope de Irigoyen for 400 metres then turn left on Calle Lucas de Berroa where you will find the Albergue on the left of the street at number 18-1.

Buen Camino

Hi - Wondering where the actual start point is in Irun for the Norte. I need to obtain the Passport and get on my way on the morning of Aug 15th.

I am coming in from Barcelona. Any recommendations as to whether I take the night bus (arrive 15th morning at 6 am and start walking), or take the train the night before and arrive 10pm the 14th? Looking for veteran advice! Thanks

Harv M

Anemone is right about it being one of the most challenging days on the del Norte. There's a tough 100m climb over the first 5 km out of Hondarribia, and the marked trail is boulder-strewn. I would recommend a good night's sleep.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Harv M
We started in Irun and I seem to remember getting the credential from the local church ⛪ although it would be simpler to get it from this Forum

The official starting point in Irun is the RENFE train station. You can get a Credencial at the Albergue de Peregrinos located on the Camino in Calle Lucas de Berroa.

As you leave the train station where the yellow arrows begin, follow Lope de Irigoyen for 400 metres then turn left on Calle Lucas de Berroa where you will find the Albergue on the left of the street at number 18-1.

Buen Camino
Yes! I agree with Devon Mike. Last year we got our credencial at the Albergue de Peregrinos in Calle Lucas Berroa. Just be aware the Albergue might be closed right after the last pilgrim leaves it, which could be around 8 am. It will be in the afternoon (I'm so sorry, I don't remember at which time exactly) whenever the hospitaleros open it again for the first arriving pilgrims. The church makes "siesta" time and closes during noon. You can get maps and some good tips from the hospitaleros. There's a very helpful App (can be also seen offline) with all sorts of informations about the Camino del Norte stages, terrain, albergues, water sources, bars, etc. You can find it under "Camino" by Eroski Consumer. Here the Website: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es
Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes! I agree with Devon Mike. Last year we got our credencial at the Albergue de Peregrinos in Calle Lucas Berroa. Just be aware the Albergue might be closed right after the last pilgrim leaves it, which could be around 8 am. It will be in the afternoon (I'm so sorry, I don't remember at which time exactly) whenever the hospitaleros open it again for the first arriving pilgrims. The church makes "siesta" time and closes during noon. You can get maps and some good tips from the hospitaleros. There's a very helpful App (can be also seen offline) with all sorts of informations about the Camino del Norte stages, terrain, albergues, water sources, bars, etc. You can find it under "Camino" by Eroski Consumer. Here the Website: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es
Buen Camino![/QUOTE

This is great. The website was a very helpful resource. Google nicely translated it!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.