A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Start recommendations 6-9 days to SdC

Camino Badges

LNsLife

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (April-May 2020)
I'm sure this topic has been covered thoroughly but I'm not able to find it. I only have 6-9 (10?) days but am determined to walk to SdC on the CF. (Flight to/from Madrid.) I will be landing in late April, finishing the first week of May. What are your recommendations for a smart, lovely, and do-able Camino at that time of year and with the limited time? I was thinking Astorga, but maybe Ponferrada is better? or?? My goal is to later walk the full CF, enjoying the familiar end that I walked before. Thanks!

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
Look at Gronze.com. If you follow their stages, the farthest you could start from Santiago and finish in 9 days would be Villafranca del Bierzo. It's conceivable to start at Ponferrada, but you might be pushing it a bit.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
"Where did you start from" is always among the first questions asked when pilgrims meet. You will find yourself explaining just why Villafranca del Bierzo or Ponferrada, Consider perhaps the Camino Inglés starting from Ferro just north of Coruña you have a complete Camino with the Compostela and no apologies need to be offered.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
"Where did you start from" is always among the first questions asked when pilgrims meet. You will find yourself explaining just why Villafranca del Bierzo or Ponferrada, Consider perhaps the Camino Inglés starting from Ferro just north of Coruña you have a complete Camino with the Compostela and no apologies need to be offered.
No "apologies" are necessary, regardless where you start. "Where did you start?" is just pilgrims making small talk.

LNsLife

Camino(s) past & future
Look at Gronze.com. If you follow their stages, the farthest you could start from Santiago and finish in 9 days would be Villafranca del Bierzo. It's conceivable to start at Ponferrada, but you might be pushing it a bit.

Thanks so much for the web link and your thoughts re Villafranca del Bierzo.

LNsLife

Camino(s) past & future
I appreciate you mentioning Camino Ingles as an alternative. I really am looking at my long-term goal of walking the full CF with "familiar road ahead" at the end. I will think on it more.

LNsLife

Camino(s) past & future
No "apologies" are necessary, regardless where you start. "Where did you start?" is just pilgrims making small talk.
Thanks for this comment. I realize that I may run into those that think my preparations and abbreviated walk "don't count". I'm content with my plans and what I'm able to do now. It's all good :)

november_moon

Veteran Member
Thanks for this comment. I realize that I may run into those that think my preparations and abbreviated walk "don't count". I'm content with my plans and what I'm able to do now. It's all good :)
If you run into anyone who thinks that starting where ever you decide to start isn't good enough, just remember - the issue is not with where you started or your Camino, but rather some issue internal to the other person.

That said, once Camino I started in Leon and once I started in Burgos - and I don't remember having any issues with explaining why. People come and go from the Camino all along the routes.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 162 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 261 24.5%