• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start VDP on the coast south of Sevilla?

Time of past OR future Camino
December 2022
I’m researching a potential trip for VDP. Looking at a map a start in Sevilla is seductively close to the coast. Is there pilgrim support between a coastal start somewhere south of Sevilla (maybe even Gibraltar?) for peregrinos joining the main route in Sevilla?

And since I’m asking Via questions I’ll add… is a winter walk on the Via feasible with a start in December?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Camino Via Augusta begins in the port city of Cadiz and ends in Sevilla, 150km or so to the North. Others will know better, but it doesn't appear to be a very popular way with limited but adequate infrastructure for pilgrims.

December might be a bit late starting out with limited daylight walking hours and many albergues closed, but could be nice if you want solitude.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Via Augusta goes from Cadiz to Seville via Utrera. The Camino Estrecho goes from Algeciras to Cadiz. There's an albergue in Tahiville on the Estrecho, but otherwise nothing. You can read up about them on the Augusta amigo website.

I walked the Estrecho recently, though I really just made my own way between Algecrias and Cadiz. There were some yellow arrows about, but you need gps. Because you won't meet any other pilgrims and will stay in private accommodation It's far more like a regular hike than a camino, I posted about it here if you'd like to follow my route.

Since you would be staying in regular accommodation on those two routes, the season doesn't make much difference, avoid summer for the best prices and to not get cooked on the Guadalquiver plain. The only point against winter would be that the area around Algeciras will be very wet which could make for a rough first day.

There are a few accounts like Yoah's or the more recent one by Karin309 who walked in winter. It'll be quiet, often cold, and you'll have less daylight for long walking days, but it's quiet doable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have walked the Via Augusta from Cadiz to Seville twice, most recently in March/April this year. My opinion is that there are some very nice towns like Jerez along the way but the actual walking is flat and featureless, pretty boring. No albergues but no problem getting hostels/simple hotels. In the 6 days of walking this year I saw just one couple walking the route so it is very quiet.

The Via Augusta goes from Cadiz to Seville via Utrera. The Camino Estrecho goes from Algeciras to Cadiz. There's an albergue in Tahiville on the Estrecho, but otherwise nothing. You can read up about them on the Augusta amigo website.

I walked the Estrecho recently, though I really just made my own way between Algecrias and Cadiz. There were some yellow arrows about, but you need gps. Because you won't meet any other pilgrims and will stay in private accommodation It's far more like a regular hike than a camino, I posted about it here if you'd like to follow my route.

Since you would be staying in regular accommodation on those two routes, the season doesn't make much difference, avoid summer for the best prices and to not get cooked on the Guadalquiver plain. The only point against winter would be that the area around Algeciras will be very wet which could make for a rough first day.

There are a few accounts like Yoah's or the more recent one by Karin309 who walked in winter. It'll be quiet, often cold, and you'll have less daylight for long walking days, but it's quiet doable.
Thank you very much for the detailed reply 🤗

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've found a map for the Via Serrana, partially reprinted in Johnny Walker's guide, that shows a split of the trail on the last long stage from Utrera to Sevilla - one route goes a bit straighter through Dos Hermanas, and the other curves to the northeast a bit and goes through Alcala de Guadaíra. Any sense from anyone which of the two routes is more scenic, interesting or involves less walking on major highways or streets?

It looks like Johnny Walker's guide has you go through Dos Hermanas.

Thanks!

I've found a map for the Via Serrana, partially reprinted in Johnny Walker's guide, that shows a split of the trail on the last long stage from Utrera to Sevilla - one route goes a bit straighter through Dos Hermanas, and the other curves to the northeast a bit and goes through Alcala de Guadaíra. Any sense from anyone which of the two routes is more scenic, interesting or involves less walking on major highways or streets?

It looks like Johnny Walker's guide has you go through Dos Hermanas.

Thanks!
The search function is your friend ;)

Vía Serrana/Augusta: which path from Utrera to Seville?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Quick Via Serrana question, and this really is not a big deal. But I wondered if anyone else has dealt with this.

I pre-registered for a compostela QR Code using the SdC Pilgrim Office website. However, I didn't see any drop down menu that recognizes La Linea de la Concepcion as a starting point or the Via Serrana as a recognized "camino", so I claimed the next best city available (Sevilla) and the Via de la Plata as the camino. If I want a certificate in SdC stating that I started in La Linea de la Concepcion, is that even possible? It looks like the whole process has become automated, so I suspect that I can't just go up and talk to someone at the pilgrim office in SdC. If anyone has experience with this, please let me know. Otherwise, life can go on happily without another compostela.

We start in less than a month!

Quick Via Serrana question, and this really is not a big deal. But I wondered if anyone else has dealt with this.

I pre-registered for a compostela QR Code using the SdC Pilgrim Office website. However, I didn't see any drop down menu that recognizes La Linea de la Concepcion as a starting point or the Via Serrana as a recognized "camino", so I claimed the next best city available (Sevilla) and the Via de la Plata as the camino. If I want a certificate in SdC stating that I started in La Linea de la Concepcion, is that even possible? It looks like the whole process has become automated, so I suspect that I can't just go up and talk to someone at the pilgrim office in SdC. If anyone has experience with this, please let me know. Otherwise, life can go on happily without another compostela.

We start in less than a month!
I have exactly the same question and am curious about responses ... but not so much hurry for me as I probably cannot walk next year as planned but must wait until 2025 ... :cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You will definitely qualify for a Compostela with Sevilla as your starting point. The compostela does not indicate your starting point. All that is added to the printed certificate is your name in Latin and the date.

I have never gotten the distance certificate, so I can’t help with that, but I have read many times on the forum how pilgrim office personnel is happy to input a starting point and your own calculation of kms walked. But maybe that changed with the automation.

Good luck!

I’m researching a potential trip for VDP. Looking at a map a start in Sevilla is seductively close to the coast. Is there pilgrim support between a coastal start somewhere south of Sevilla (maybe even Gibraltar?) for peregrinos joining the main route in Sevilla?
The number of potential starting points is very large, potentially nearly every coastal village, town, and city -- though the ones that stick out as more obvious are Ayamonte/Isla Cristina, Punta Umbría/Huelva/Palos de la Frontera, Sanlúcar de Barrameda/Jerez de le Frontera, Cádiz, some other "de la Frontera" places, Tarifa, Algeciras/La Línea de la Concepción, Gibraltar, Estepona, Marbella, Fuengirola, Torremolinos, Málaga (via Pizarra > Álora > El Chorro > either of two hiking trails from there to Ronda).

Though Málaga would be a stretch, as the normal route from there is the Camino Mózarabe ...

If it were me, I'd probably start from the Shrine of Our Lady of Europe in Gibraltar, though the idea of a start from Cádiz is tempting !!

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back