• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start Walking on a Sunday

Tumbleweed

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
Hello my fellow Peregrinos,

I received my invitation from God to walk the Camino, I have accepted and will start my first Camino this year. After many months of research I have recently thought about starting from SJPdP on a Sunday mid September. I've read that many start mid week because on Monday most places are closed. Will starting on a Sunday cause much inconvience during my first few days?

Also, I am looking at just purchasing a silk liner and using blankets. Will this be enough for this time of year? Mid Sept thru 3 weeks of Oct.

Thank you all for the wonderful posts I have aleady learned from.

Angela
BornToWalkAlone

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Angela!

Good luck with your planning.

I don't think it makes much difference what day of the week you start really. You'll be there for a month so will experience all seven days of the week several times. The Spanish love going out for a walk and a bite to eat at weekends with the (sometimes extended) family. Unless you need to buy any kit/clothes etc it shouldn't affect you at all.

At that time of year I'd lean towards some kind of sleeping bag more than just a liner. Yes, they usually have blankets at the albergues, and private rooms are always warm, but better safe than sorry.

You won't starve or freeze so Buen Camino!

p.s. Sorry Angela - I think I misread your original post. Yes a few family-run places close early in the week for rest (sometimes just for the afternoon) but it's not a significant problem at all. You'll still be able to find what you need. There might be fewer trains/buses etc to get to your starting point over the weekend, but you can work that out.

I don't think starting on a Sunday will bring any grief.

However, it would be a good idea to always have money in hand for the weekend. Be sure to visit ATM on Thursday or Friday if you are running low. I've met many others who have tried to use ATM on Saturday or Sunday only to have card captured and have to wait around for bank opening on Monday to retrieve.

I am glad you accepted the invitation.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you both for the advice. I am looking for a lightweight down sleeping bag online and wow they are expensive. Does anyone one have any ideas of where I can find a less espensive bag or what brand to shop or a particular store?

Angela

Hi Angela,

On the Camino there are so many choices for services that something is always open, it seems. Bars and accommodations are always open, regardless. Shops may close for a half day, but that shouldn't cause any trouble. Sunday is a bigger challenge, if you are starting in SJPP. Pick up any supplies you need on Saturday, or plan to eat in a bar.

As for the sleeping bag question, unless you are a really cold sleeper normally, a silk liner should be sufficient. I have used one on three fall walks, and will continue to do so. I was even fine in early October in Roncesvalles, which has no blankets.
Nancy

Hi Angela,

I walked from SJPdP in Sept-Oct 2009 and used my down sleeping bag most nights. I live in Queensland, Australia and wouldn't dream of walking anywhere in Europe without it. The one time that I was too lazy to get it out and used the alburgue's blankets instead I got bed bugs!

Buen Camino. Jacki.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Angela.

You still have plenty of time, so maybe bookmark the websites of the major outdoor retailers and check from time to time to see if any have a sale between now and you leaving. You may be lucky and pick up a bargain. I think I picked mine up for something like £5, but that was very lucky. It isn't the best but it is good enough for the Camino.

Buen Camino!

used the alburgue's blankets instead I got bed bugs!
The odds are that the blankets did not bring the bed bugs. Bed bugs nest in walls, seams, and crevices, not in blankets. If it was a stray that got picked up with the blanket, it originally came from the vicinity of your bunk, and may have found you anyway!

If the albergue does not have bed bugs, the blankets will not have bed bugs. Once you have bought the bunk, you have bought the bed bugs. So feel free to use the blankets; they will not increase your danger. :wink:

And treat your sleep gear with permethrin to help avoid the bed bugs in the bunk (or in the blanket), and keep your arms and legs inside the treated sleep sack. Bed bugs go for exposed flesh, and normally do not crawl deep into your sleeping bag unless you bring them in on your arm or foot.

My Sleeping bag choice

Okay, I've decided on a Mountain Hardware down 35/50 flip sleeping bag. It compresses down nicely and only weighs 1.13 lbs. I found it at Sierra Trading Post, they gave me a 30% off coupon and I have a $20 gift card. I'm so thrilled. Now on to finding the right backpack. I'm looking at the Osprey Talon for women. Please, any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

PS: I've changed my dates, leave US on Sept 1, start walking from sjpdp on the 3rd or 4th.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
BornToWalkAlone said:
I'm looking at the Osprey Talon for women. Please, any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

You might want to browse the Equipment Questions topic or plug the term 'Osprey Talon' into the search engine (link is in green at the top of the page) for a more focussed review of what has been contributed in the past about this pack.

Regards,

Just FYI, in Spain a lot of the smaller town's Medical Posts and Pharmacies close Saturday at around 2PM and they are closed Sundays. Even in larger towns you have to search for a Pharmacy open on Sundays. Just found it the hard way, we completed our Sarria to Santiago Camino last Sunday. My wife developed a bad rash and could not find anything in Pedrouzo/Arca on Saturday, on Sunday we had to search for an open Pharmacy ("De Turno") to get a ointment.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back