• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Started in Madrid today did not see one Pilgrim i think ive found paradise.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Could anyone give me any info on camino Madrid I've started today in Tres Cantos now
You can start with Gronze. It's in Spanish but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.

You can also read the posts in the Camino de Madrid subforum where this thread has been moved to.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked South on that route in June, from Sahagún to Medina de Rioseco, and I met only about a dozen pilgrims total.

Can't really advise much, but do stay at the normal Albergue at Villalón de Campos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think I saw 3 ipilgrims n the 2 weeks I was there in May so I imagine it is even quieter now! If you stay at Tamariz say Hi to Ivan from me (great guy)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did that walk in May and loved all of it! I made a series of videos about my journey and posted on YouTube. You can find it if you search Hey Robin Camino. I had to use my buen camino app for navigation because as you are finding out the path is not waymarked very well. I had to stop in Valsain after climbing the FONFRIA pass because the segment was too long. That was a most beautiful day! I stayed in a few municipal albergues because there were no other places to stay. Coca was a particularly difficult place so book that one in advance. If you stay at Puente Duero, try to stay at Alturo’s place as he embodies the spirit of the Camino! Finally, ask to see the Ponce de Leon museum in Santervas de Campos. It was very well done! Enjoy! Robin

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did that walk in May and loved all of it! I made a series of videos about my journey and posted on YouTube. You can find it if you search Hey Robin Camino. I had to use my buen camino app for navigation because as you are finding out the path is not waymarked very well. I had to stop in Valsain after climbing the FONFRIA pass because the segment was too long. That was a most beautiful day! I stayed in a few municipal albergues because there were no other places to stay. Coca was a particularly difficult place so book that one in advance. If you stay at Puente Duero, try to stay at Alturo’s place as he embodies the spirit of the Camino! Finally, ask to see the Ponce de Leon museum in Santervas de Campos. It was very well done! Enjoy! Robin
Im at the foot of the mountain booked into the youth hostel, accommodation has been a problem slept outside got totally lost this morning I thought I was doing so well being at the top of a steep climb until a guy pulled up in a van and ask if I was on Camino he couldn't speak much English, me no Spanish but he drove me down the mountain , I missed an arrow by about 4 metres but it all worked out

Yes, I got off trail too several times. I had to watch my Camino app like a hawk n. That must have been a long day for you. Up the Fonfria pass you have to follow the white dots not the red or yellow ones but that seems to be not well advertised. I thought the historical signs up the mountain were very interesting. I’m so happy you are doing this!

Yes, I got off trail too several times. I had to watch my Camino app like a hawk n. That must have been a long day for you. Up the Fonfria pass you have to follow the white dots not the red or yellow ones but that seems to be not well advertised. I thought the historical signs up the mountain were very interesting. I’m so happy you are doing this!
I'm terrified , I think it's concentration all the time ,you don't see an arrow for so long then you see 5 or 6 at the one time I've noticed some of the arrows are vandalised and scraped off

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm terrified , I think it's concentration all the time ,you don't see an arrow for so long then you see 5 or 6 at the one time I've noticed some of the arrows are vandalised and scraped off
Have you downloaded one of the Camino apps with offline GPS? That will keep you on track.

Hang in there. When I finished I had a tremendous sense of accomplishment because this trail is not easy. If you don’t pay attention, you could get way off trail and if you get off trail, then you have to spend a lot more energy getting yourself back to where you’re supposed to be. So it’s almost a daily task to manage your navigation, energy levels, food, water… etc., so that you could make it through the stages without problems. All this I did almost completely alone which is why I appreciated having a Spanish national join me for a couple of days.

Really enjoyed your videos. Thanks.

I will enjoy every moment, Buen Camino
Hi @Rushie ooh, I envy you being on the Madrid Way. It’s such a wonderful camino ❤️

We had a PDF guidebook and followed the arrows. Only got lost once on the morning we left Tres Cantos but in hindsight that was definitely our error 😎 as we missed a sentence in the guidebook which turned out to be important 😫

We didn’t have an app or GPS tracks. But sounds like the way marking has deteriorated since we were there in 2018, so maybe an app is the way to go. Hope it gets easier for you. 😎

Hi @Rushie ooh, I envy you being on the Madrid Way. It’s such a wonderful camino ❤️

We had a PDF guidebook and followed the arrows. Only got lost once on the morning we left Tres Cantos but in hindsight that was definitely our error 😎 as we missed a sentence in the guidebook which turned out to be important 😫

See didn’t have an app or GPS tracks. But sounds like the way marking has deteriorated since we were there in 2018, so maybe an app is the way to go. Hope it gets easier for you. 😎
It's an amazing journey I'm on ,the arrows are there but not enough I'm finding sometime s when I haven't seen an arrow for quite a few kms then there it is I'm getting a feeling of pure extacy when I eventually, I'm not embarrassed to say that I've had a tear or two with joy it's quite amazing what I'm feeling on this Camino having just come down to Madrid after finishing SJPDP to Finisterre, just over a week ago

It's an amazing journey I'm on ,the arrows are there but not enough I'm finding sometime s when I haven't seen an arrow for quite a few kms then there it is I'm getting a feeling of pure extacy when I eventually, I'm not embarrassed to say that I've had a tear or two with joy it's quite amazing what I'm feeling on this Camino having just come down to Madrid after finishing SJPDP to Finisterre, just over a week ago
How wonderful @Rushie And a very different camino experience to the Frances. I know what you mean about the arrows being there, but not as frequent. It’s easy to wonder if you are going the wrong way, even though you are not. Especially when you are walking alone with no pilgrims to be seen. I walked the Madrid with my husband. I’m sure we often said ‘do you think we are going the right way’… but we were (except that one time after Tres Cantos) 😎

Enjoy every step of this wonderful camino 😎

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How wonderful @Rushie And a very different camino experience to the Frances. I know what you mean about the arrows being there, but not as frequent. It’s easy to wonder if you are going the wrong way, even though you are not. Especially when you are walking alone with no pilgrims to be seen. I walked the Madrid with my husband. I’m sure we often said ‘do you think we are going the right way’… but we were (except that one time after Tres Cantos) 😎

Enjoy every step of this wonderful camino 😎
I began to say to myself if I'm going the wrong way so what I'm pretty sure I'm capable of walking back a few kms,

@Rushie, your posts are reminding me of getting lost a few times on the Camino de Madrid. It never bothered me too much, but I found the Buen Camino app very helpful in those moments.

I've such happy memories of this Camino and will definitely walk it again. Wishing you well on your journey.

Last edited:

We didn’t have an app or GPS tracks. But sounds like the way marking has deteriorated since we were there in 2018, so maybe an app is the way to go. Hope it gets easier for you. 😎
Got totally lost today not one but twice ,I walked for 9 hrs non stop and I'm 10 kms forward ,the strange thing is I'm not bothered about it this Camino is learning me about patience so I'm quite happy to take that

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Got totally lost today not one but twice ,I walked for 9 hrs non stop and I'm 10 kms forward ,the strange thing is I'm not bothered about it this Camino is learning me about patience so I'm quite happy to take that
Love your attitude. ❤️ I’m starting to think we were very lucky on the Madrid Way to go ‘off camino’ only once - as far as we know, that is Buen camino 😎

It seemed like a daily challenge. I even contacted the writer of the Buen Camino app and Gad him change a portion that led into a drainage ditch. I vlogged about it in one of my videos. It really gave me a huge sense of accomplishment that only others who’ve done it would understand. Robin

I began to say to myself if I'm going the wrong way so what I'm pretty sure I'm capable of walking back a few kms,
Loving this Camino so much I'm even halving my days now as I know what to expect at Sahagun I'm loving the Albergue in the small village s the people are so friendly and they help you the main aim is not to extract mo ey from you I can tell they don't see many pilgrims on foot

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Loving this Camino so much I'm even halving my days now as I know what to expect at Sahagun I'm loving the Albergue in the small village s the people are so friendly and they help you the main aim is not to extract mo ey from you I can tell they don't see many pilgrims on foot
wow i never got the sense on the cf that anyone was trying to "extract money" from me! but glad you're enjoying the Madrid snd looking at doing that myself. thx for your posts :) bc

wow i never got the sense on the cf that anyone was trying to "extract money" from me! but glad you're enjoying the Madrid snd looking at doing that myself. thx for your posts :) don't get me wrong

Wow, you’ve started a Camino without knowing anything about it. How wonderful, keep going! When you get to Sahagun turn left.

Enjoy every surprise along the Way 😉
I'll be in Sahagun in a few days is it left or right I turn LOL. Its been a wonderful journey, on this camino just let go of everything take every mistake you make and say to yourself shit happens sometimes. I'm in Alazaren now ,took the day of yesterday to do some needlework

Attachments

• 20221103_143339.jpg
    20221103_143339.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
I'm in Alturo’s place now

Attachments

• 16676621620302324417906105868372.jpg
    16676621620302324417906105868372.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey Rushie I have just read your experiences on the Camino de Madrid.
It’s truly a solitary but rewarding route.
Buen Camino!

I loved the long walks with no other pilgrims. It gave me time to think uninterrupted. It was a nice contrast to what my other Camino experience was like.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm in Alturo’s place now
I'll be in Sahagun tomorrow evening, yes it was a wonderful journey. I will cherish everything about it even the times getting off trail I had a bit of a head screaming situation today I was following arrows but as per not many of them so I checked the Buen camino app and seen I was way off the trail for the life of me I couldn't work it out gronz app was telling me I was on the right track so I kept going approaching Moral de Reina see an arrow pointing straight ahead also one pointing me to the right , I go towards the village at the Cross roads an arrow was pointing every direction eventually made it to Campus Basin and no accommodation available , I'm hungry I'm tired and I can't get food anywhere so only one option keep going .Arrived in Villalon de Campos booked the first Hotel I seen. Thank you for telling me to hang in there

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Galicia now typical Galician weather

Attachments

• 20221116_142410.jpg
    20221116_142410.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
I arrived in Santiago 2 days ago , thank you for the videos they were a help especially at the beginning, there was times I doubted myself but I made it

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh I’m so happy for you! Congratulations! Well done! If you are like me, this accomplishment and the sense of self confidence it brought will serve you well moving forward. I miss those days on the Madrid route and I think of them often. It was truly a wonderful and life changing experience. Have a safe trip home! Thank you for telling me you finished and that you liked my videos. Buen Camino! Robin

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back