• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Started my Camino today

VascoH

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Porto to Santiago (April 2013)
Portuguese Porto to Santiago (April 2014)
Hi everyone,
Started my Camino today. From Porto to Santiago. Went to the cathedral then followed the first few arrows just to make my start feel right then made my way to Sao Bento metro station and rode the metro to Vilar do Pinheiro.Then made my way along the N306 to Vilarinho. Today was a good day, it was sunny without being hot. Walking along the N306 is an interesting experience. Although it is a national highway it is only two lanes and no footpaths. The section we walked was mostly through small villages however that didn't stop the cars zooming passed at high speeds and with out footpaths means that some of the cars come way too close for comfort. Along the way met a chap named Amadeu. He runs a guest home for pilgrims. He told us all about his service so we decided to stay there for the night. When we arrived at Amadeu's place latter in the day he introduced us to his wife Marinha. They are such a lovely couple and have separate accommodation at the rear of their home. It is very clean today and welcoming at the end of the day. Marinha has washed our used cloths and will be ready for us to pack in the morning. I would highly recommend looking up Amadeu and Marinha if you are looking for an alternative to an albergue in Vilarinho. He can be contacted on local number 966 766 092 and he can stamp your credential as well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Glad you arrived safely. I remember walking those roads and they were quite dangerous. Don't worry, the trail beyond Vilarhino gets much better, with much less walking on dangerous roads and more trails and back roads with little, if any traffic.

Glad you found good accomodations. When I was in Vilarhino I stayed at Casa Da Laura. It was VERY nice.

Enjoy your Camino. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

Second day:
Today. We walked from Vilarinho to Barcelos. Using the Brierley guide book we found the way markers very easily. Only came across one other couple walking the way today. We walked with them for a short while however they were way too fast walkers for us to keep up with. We did come across a false marker which wasn't as best we could tell not an alternate route. And the marker was a little different then the norm in that it was painted on a white square patch of paint with the yellow arrow on that. it was freshly painted and we almost were taken down that path, this is where the Brierly book saved us.found the walk today to be much better than yesterday with much more track walking through wooded and farming land. There was however still a lot of road walking along the N306 which you must be careful as the cars speed along and at some points there are only inches between you and the cars. At one point my brother actually got clipped by a car mirror. Can't stress enough to be extra vigilant when walking the N306. We found that by resting every 7 Kms or so(2hours) gave us the extra energy to keep on going. The rest at Pedra Furada was a welcome relieve as by that stage I was starting to struggle. Antonio the owner of the cafe-bar was most welcoming spending some time chatting to us and gave us the details of a residential to stay at Barcelos, he even called ahead for us and booked a room. I really struggled the last leg and by the time we walked into Barcelos I was literally dragging my feet barley able to walk. My highlights for the day was walking into Rates. What an amazing old town that is. Spent a bit of time at the church which was built in the 12th Century and bought some snacks at the macardo. The lady working there was very friendly and helpful. Walking through the woodland areas was beautiful and offered some much welcome shade. And of course there was Antonio's establishment in Pedra Furada and his hospitality. All in all I found this a hard days walk however very rewarding and Barcelos looks like a very nice city would be nice to spend at least a day here.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Glad that you are enjoying it my friend. Hope it’s everything ok with you, and that everything goes according to your plan. Keep us informed ;)

Um Bom Caminho

Best regards
Diogo

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back