• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Started to walk again today! (Sept 10)

greenshank

A quick hello from Fuencarral.
As I have decided to walk all the way to Santiago, I started to complete the beginning... So this morning (quite cool after the rain) I started at Plaza Jacinto Benavente in Madrid. La Iglesia Santiago was closed, so I didn´t get a stamp there, but got one at another church on Calle Bravo Murillo! The lady was a bit surprised, don´t think she stamps a lot of credenciales :wink:

Now I´ll be staying at a friend in Fuencarral, and walk to Tres Cantos tomorrow, and then take bus/train to Coca where I left the Camino in June.
Then... who knows? Five weeks? Or will I need one more break? :mrgreen:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In Sahagun!
The walk from Coca to here has been flat and h.o.t. Didn't expect the sun to be so persistant in September! Only one day of rain so far.
The albergues have all been very nice, a description will turn up on my blog later on. So far I stayed in hostales only in Medina de Rioseco and here in Sahagun. I caught a bit of a cold (bronchitis to be exact :( ) , so I've stayed in Sahagun two nights, and will stay one more and continue to walk tomorrow.

I have a distinct feeling that my Soledad is over. I see more peregrinos in one hour in Sahagun than in all the Camino from Madrid to here :mrgreen:

¡Buen Camino!

Left the camino in Ponferrada

¡Hola Peregrinos and Peregrinas!

In Ponferrada, on Wednesday, I finally gave in and went to a doctor with my bronchitis. I've been coughing a lot but no pain in my chest or throat, so I've just been walking very slow and short etapas. But on Tuesday, just before Molinaseca I got asthma... So then I decided that it was time to see a medico.
In Ponferrada the map I got at the tourist oficina was crap. It showed neither the parts of town where the estacion Renfe, estacion autobuses, hostales were nor the Centro de Salud. They also told me I should go to a certain hospital that had service for peregrinos. Turned out that hospital only treated blisters and such, and to see a dr there would cost a lot (private hospital). But the girl in the reciption was wonderful and photocopied a map from the phonebook where I could find everything useful. Including C de Salud, which she marked of course!
At the C de Salud I got an appointment within ten minutes, and was told to get some antibiotics, and that I could keep on walking as long as I took it really slow and to drink a lot of fluids.
I stayed two nights in Ponferrada at a hostal called la Madrileña, on the 4th floor. Even walking the stairs there gave me a heavy breathing, but I went from I'll leave to I will continue over and over again... :cry:
Finally I decided it is better to quit now, and have ten days or so to walk instead of having to give up closer to Santiago. It takes a few days to get into walking mood, so having maybe five days left would feel much much worse!

Once I made the decision I felt really good. I took a train to Barcelona, and now I'm at a friend's flat. I've washed my clothes an everything feels great. Still coughing, but not as much, so the antibiotics are working.
I will continue and hopefully come all the way to Santiago in November.
:mrgreen:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Seems like a wise decision to stop... Enjoy Barcelona!

See you in Santiago in November! :)

Un saludo,
Ivar

I'm in Santiago. I can't believe it.
Arrived yesterday after starting again in Ponferrada on Nov 1st.
The weather has been very non-novemberesque, and my new red poncho is still in it's pack.
I think I'll take the bus to Finisterre tomorrow :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
¡Gracias!
I'm now in Alpujarras, but can't stop walking - so I walk a little bit with my friend's dog in these beautiful mountains most days. :mrgreen:

I did'nt go to Finisterrre. Not the end of the world (pun intended :wink: ) but 6 hours on the bus ida y vuelta was a bit much considering it was 20 hours on the bus to come from Santiago to Alpujarras...

I'll update my blog in December when I'm home with more tips for the Madrid Camino.
Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back