Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting 17 May for 10 or 11 day Camino

Yoga Girl

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016) Camino Portuguese
(2017) Ingles
(2018) Primitivo
I’m excited to be starting the Invierno in a week. I wish I had 16 days, but unfortunately I only have 10 or 11 days to walk.
I start 17 May in Ponferrada and pre-booked Pensione Fonseca in Santiago for 2 nights starting 27 May. I could cancel the 1st night to allow another stage. I usually love a few nights in Santiago but since I’ve been there a few times and will return each year, I think I should sacrifice a night for 11 stages of walking.
I am not into rushing Caminos, so I am seeking ideas on what sections I can expedite via bus, train or taxi. Those long pavement walks, or not so scenic sections can be sped through to save my legs.
I will walk solo and plan to stay mostly in albergues, but I’d love to stay in that Parador in monforte de lemos for a treat and a hot bath.
Thanks all!
Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It sepends on how far you want to walk each day. I like long sections so walked the Invierno in 8 days, but there are plenty of posts on here with 10/11 day sections. Have you looked at the Invierno guide on this forum?

Thanks! I ended up walking 28 km on day 1. In las Médulas now. Will post my recap separately.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am using the Invierno guide PDF for the suggested 10 day itinerary, and might stick with that. Thank you @peregrina2000!
The advice I sought I now can offer to those who don’t like asphalt / road walking and need an assist at the end of the day.
Day 1: The walk from Ponferrada to Castillo de Cornatel is mostly dirt, rocks, farm roads (ideal surfaces, IMO). After that, it’s a lot of asphalt. Consider getting a taxi at the Castillo to take you to either Borrenes or Las Médulas. I think this would save about 10-12 km to Las Médulas and you wouldn’t miss much.
Day 2: To O Barco de Valdeorras, similar to above. Consider a train or taxi from Sobradelo to save you legs. There is a lot of road walking and poor signage through Entoma. I recommend stopping at MarBar in Sobradelo for the warmest welcome to pilgrims. The owner is a Camino fan and family is nice. He could call a taxi or you can check train schedules using their WiFi. This would save about 5 km and give you more energy to enjoy O Barco.
I tracked 30 km on this day and was completely too exhausted when I arrived.

I really wish I had known this for my first 2 stages but I persevered on foot. I need some shorter days from here on. I hope my lessons learned can help future pilgrims.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back