• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

starting 18 June 2010 in Saint Jean Pied de Port

kajjensen

Hi!

I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances next year. I want to start 18 June 2010 and I want to do the Camino in 33 days with 3 resting days.

I will be happy to receive good advice from those who have already done the Camino.

I guess it's going to be lot of people next year. Is it sure that I will find a bed every night? Do I need to take my tent with me? Shoes? Can I have my long distance runningshoes? etc. etc.

Thankful for all advice I can get.

/Kaj

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Kaj,
If you start off slowly, take it easy the first week, build up your walking fitness and do longer distances on the flat days, you can easily walk el camino in 30 days. 780kms in 30 days = 26km per day.
It IS going to be crowded next year but there are plans to cater for the extra pilgrims in tents, containers, sports halls etc. Aim to reach your overnight stop by mid-afternoon and you should be alright.
Thousands of pilgrims walk the camino in running shoes. I did 2 caminos in New Balance All Terrain shoes and they were fine.
You will miss the Saint's Feast Day celebrations by just a few days but there might very well be celebrations the week leading up to the 25th July and a week after.
Good luck!

There is a difference between long-distance running shoes and hiking shoes. You may get along just fine with what you have, but the advice of almost all pilgrims is that you take the best care of your feet possible. I suggest visiting a shoe store that specializes in hiking shoes and boots. If you are in excellent shape, with strong ankles (i.e. you have never had sprains, etc.) than a shoe would be fine. Alternatively, if you have weak ankles consider a boot that is designed for light hiking. There is not need for the heavy, stiff alpine boots that are designed for carrying heavy packs long distances.

You will be fine on the Camino and will find a bed. There is some wisdom to being prepared, but I will not be bringing a tent with me next year and will make do with what I find along the Way on June 1.

Buen Camino,

Michael

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for all letters i got. Im thankful for all advice i get.

I little worried about how i could find places to sleep. Next year is a holy year.
My tent's weight is 2,8 kilo (4,4 lB). I don't sound much but after 750 km i think it will be heavy. Would be god to leave my tent at home.

I use to run long distant (50 - 100 KM) running and i'm comfort in my runningshoes. (i have at least 7 par).

What must i visit under my walking. What did you like to se.

I suspect next year will be like no other previous holy year. June will be particularly busy, I think.

That said and done, there are significantly more places to stay along the way... Difficult to say, really.

33 days is definitely enough time. You may even find that three rest days aren't needed to be honest!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back