• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting 24 September from Coimbra

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 21 October 2014
Portugese Way October 2018
Hi everyone! I'm going to start from Coimbra on or around 24 September. Have walked Tui to SdC before so am doing Coimbra to Tui this time.

I think the first 7 stages from Lisbon are too long each day for me so I'm getting a train from Lisbon after a couple of days there sightseeing.

I wish you all a safe & enjoyable camino!

Lindy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's possible to break most of those stages down into more manageable distances.
I just thought the distances were so long (unusually so from the 3 I've done before) because there were no Alberges along the wat. I'll take a look and see what I can find - thanks, I did wonder......

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just thought the distances were so long (unusually so from the 3 I've done before) because there were no Alberges along the wat. I'll take a look and see what I can find - thanks, I did wonder......
Here is a pretty old resource that provided options for walking shorter distances. But if it was possible to do shorter stages in 2014, it is surely possible now, given the big increase in pilgrim accommodations. Gronze has a very up to date list of what’s available.

Most of the longer stages are south of Coimbra, so I would contact some of the owners of places in Tomar, Alvaiazere, etc, if you want to figure out some options. Bom caminho!

Thanks - I have taken a quick look but can't get the distances and accom to marry up but will look at Gronze and follow up your advice. I don't mind starting in Coimbra if that is how it works for me.

Thanks - I have taken a quick look but can't get the distances and accom to marry up but will look at Gronze and follow up your advice. I don't mind starting in Coimbra if that is how it works for me.
Here are my Lisbon - Porto stages. Let me know if you want to know where I stayed.

Screenshot_20220817-122003.png

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Lindy Loo,
The section from Azambuja to Coimbra is arguably the nicest portion of the Portuguese south of Porto. I start in Azambuja this coming Sept. 22, and my longest day is approx. 23 kilometres. On my 80th. orbit around the sun, I'm keeping my distances down from previous times. My stops from Azambuja are, Valada, Santarem, Pombalinho, Sao Caetano, Quinta do Falcao, Calvinos, Alvaiazere, Ansiao, Rabacal, and either Conimbriga or Condeixa-A-Nova, Coimbra.
Bom Caminho.
S.

Here are my Lisbon - Porto stages. Let me know if you want to know where I stayed.

View attachment 131194
I am walking Lisbon to Porto this September. Apart from a couple of longer days are there any stages where you might suggest skipping/bus to make up some time as only have 12 days for walking and want to enjoy Porto for a couple of days at end. Thanks

Hi Lindy Loo,
The section from Azambuja to Coimbra is arguably the nicest portion of the Portuguese south of Porto. I start in Azambuja this coming Sept. 22, and my longest day is approx. 23 kilometres. On my 80th. orbit around the sun, I'm keeping my distances down from previous times. My stops from Azambuja are, Valada, Santarem, Pombalinho, Sao Caetano, Quinta do Falcao, Calvinos, Alvaiazere, Ansiao, Rabacal, and either Conimbriga or Condeixa-A-Nova, Coimbra.
Bom Caminho.
S.
Are you stopping your walk in Coimbra or going on to SdC?

Thank you for this information, I will revisit my plan. I assume the train from Lisbon North stops at Azambuja so this is possible for me.

Buen Camino you marvellous man.

Lindy

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back