• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting 27th May from St Jean Pied de Port

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes, I think day 2 will be the hardest day from Orrison to Roncesvalles.
I think you will find that the walk up to Orisson may be more difficult even though it is only about 8K. The hardest part about walking from Orisson will be the downhill that is very long and if you walk on the Camino is very steep to Roncesvalles. I think that is about 5k. If it is raining it is really slippery. There is a variant that is to the right when the downhill starts. I have been told it is much easier to walk. It is longer but I can tell you a friend started on that one the same time I started going down the steep one and we arrived almost exactly the same time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think you will find that the walk up to Orisson may be more difficult even though it is only about 8K. The hardest part about walking from Orisson will be the downhill that is very long and if you walk on the Camino is very steep to Roncesvalles. I think that is about 5k. If it is raining it is really slippery. There is a variant that is to the right when the downhill starts. I have been told it is much easier to walk. It is longer but I can tell you a friend started on that one the same time I started going down the steep one and we arrived almost exactly the same time.

Thanks ☺️
I did think the part up to Orrison was the steepest part but as you say only 8km. From Orrison you still have 700m to climb, though, I think. I wasn't worried about the downhill bit at all. I'm fairly young (compared to people on this forum) and fairly agile.
I'm more worried about walking 18km without having somewhere I could stop. I have a couple of slightly longer days planned later on but I don't think any of them will be quite so isolated.
Anyway I'm looking forward to the challenge.
Molly

Thanks ☺
I did think the part up to Orrison was the steepest part but as you say only 8km. From Orrison you still have 700m to climb, though, I think. I wasn't worried about the downhill bit at all. I'm fairly young (compared to people on this forum) and fairly agile.
I'm more worried about walking 18km without having somewhere I could stop. I have a couple of slightly longer days planned later on but I don't think any of them will be quite so isolated.
Anyway I'm looking forward to the challenge.
Molly
You can do it. The 700 meters for the most part is more gradual. Start early bring food and high energy snacks. If you need to have your pack shipped forward. The most important thing is to listen to your body. Rest before you are too tired. All you will need is 10 minutes. Take off your pack. Lean against it and take a rest. If you meet people who you enjoy talking to and they are not tired you still have to rest. You can have dinner with them in the evening. Make a reservation in the albergue in Roncesvalles so you don't have to worry about what time you get there. Make sure you make a reservation now in Orisson too. Do not wait. There are not alot of beds. If you can't get a reservation than walk there and take a taxi back to St. Jean and taxi in the morning back to Orisson to start your second day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can do it. The 700 meters for the most part is more gradual. Start early bring food and high energy snacks. If you need to have your pack shipped forward. The most important thing is to listen to your body. Rest before you are too tired. All you will need is 10 minutes. Take off your pack. Lean against it and take a rest. If you meet people who you enjoy talking to and they are not tired you still have to rest. You can have dinner with them in the evening. Make a reservation in the albergue in Roncesvalles so you don't have to worry about what time you get there. Make sure you make a reservation now in Orisson too. Do not wait. There are not alot of beds. If you can't get a reservation than walk there and take a taxi back to St. Jean and taxi in the morning back to Orisson to start your second day.

Thanks for all the good advice. I think I should be able to carry my pack. I have a spreadsheet for pack weight and reckon I'll be carrying around 8kg including food and water.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If the walk to Orisson is unexpectedly difficult with a pack, you can use a pack transport service to carry it for you to Ronchavelles . The pack transport a few was years ago was 6 or 7 euros.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Molly, i’m starting from sjpdp on the 27th too!! You never know, we may see each other.....(just look for an old, bald, large Englishman with a beard!). I walked the camino last year and can’t resist coming back for more this year. My advice would be............Don’t worry about how hard it will be ..(all of it) .the walk up to Orisson is a bit steep but the scenery is literally stunning and you will love it. Excitement and adrenaline will take you up there! Take your time, soak it all up and relax........Start early, beat the crowds...enjoy the sunrises, my last camino consisted of a lot of shortish daily milages just let the ‘hypermilers‘ and speed merchants rush past in a frantic scrabble for beds........you will probably meet some of em later on with knackered knees, tendonitis etc.....I am stopping at gite de la porte in SJPP a lovely place, (run by a great bloke called Andrew I think) right next to the pilgrims office and on the main street and easy to find the camino (just turn right) id be happy to help if you have any more questions.. buen camino MollyC08BDE17-DAE9-4C5D-92EC-F5A530A0DB47.jpeg28C8CCCA-A9E4-4B0B-AA41-FCB24B0B70DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Ossy,
Thanks for the encouragement. I'd love to meet up in St Jean for a chat on 26th. I expect you walk much faster than me so I wouldn't suggest setting off together. I'm happy to walk alone and I'm not in any rush. :)
I'm 39 and short but not as slim as I used to be. I have dark (greying) hair which I will probably cut before I set off. If you see me in daylight I will be wearing a large sunhat.
I've booked Orrison but not St Jean yet,
Burn Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back