• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting 2nd of september from SJPP

Roland Abi Hanna

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2017)
Hello all,

up until a week ago, i was confident that i will have fun during my camino francais trip which i casually decided to take about 3 weeks ago.

then i came across this forum, and noticed that people start preparing for this trip for month!
the only preparation i did is purchasing items that i would need along the way ( i went overboard, now i have 13 kg backpack including protein bars that should last me for the full trip)

Since i initially decided to wing it, i did not do any planning on how much i will be walking on a daily basis, other than booking a bed in Roncesvalles for the second night .

with that said, and reading all the comments and numerous advice and preparations on this forum i am now officially worried :)
i know i will have fun! but what i am worried about is that i may risk not finishing in time

Finally, do you have any advice? anyone starting on that date that would like to share their wisdom?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Roland
I start from SJPP on the 2nd too, hopefully meet you along the way.
First bit of advice is to leave the protein bars at home. A lighter pack will make for an easier walk. Look at the packing lists experienced walkers have posted to see what else you can leave behind.
As long as you have decent footwear don't worry too much. You can learn along the way.

I agree with @NomadBoomer leave the protein bars at home, these can be bought along the way, the lighter the pack the better.
Don't be worried, this forum as you've learnt is full of so much information it can be mind boggling. The enjoyment I got on my first camino was that I didn't know what was around the corner, so everyday was an adventure.
You will meet some amazing people for the four corners of the world, and a lot of them will be as worried as you are. Try not to rush the camino, drink in the experience and just go with the flow, remember its not a race to the finish. If you don't finish in your allowed time you can always come back another time and finish.
Have a wonderful journey, what awaits you is amazing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Roland
I start from SJPP on the 2nd too, hopefully meet you along the way.
First bit of advice is to leave the protein bars at home. A lighter pack will make for an easier walk. Look at the packing lists experienced walkers have posted to see what else you can leave behind.
As long as you have decent footwear don't worry too much. You can learn along the way.

Thank you for the advice! hopefully we may cross path..
i decided (may change my mind along the way) to take protein bars as i intend not to have lunch but only breakfast/dinner so basically need something to keep me going through the days
but you are absolutely right about the weight. protein bar box is around 1.9 kg so basically 2 kg of just snacks
as for list of stuff i've taken (please check attached photo)

21122480_1638404956210955_5390523696967338598_o.jpg

I agree with @NomadBoomer leave the protein bars at home, these can be bought along the way, the lighter the pack the better.
Don't be worried, this forum as you've learnt is full of so much information it can be mind boggling. The enjoyment I got on my first camino was that I didn't know what was around the corner, so everyday was an adventure.
You will meet some amazing people for the four corners of the world, and a lot of them will be as worried as you are. Try not to rush the camino, drink in the experience and just go with the flow, remember its not a race to the finish. If you don't finish in your allowed time you can always come back another time and finish.
Have a wonderful journey, what awaits you is amazing.

Thank you for the advice and voice of confidence! i love how you described it and this is exactly why i want to do the camino, just slow down and smell the roses so to speak without worrying about what comes next except that i need to 'walk' ...
thanks again for your response! appreciate it

Very few can do it in three weeks, so you have a challenge ahead! Buen camino.

Thank you for your response! i apologize if i may have expressed myself in a confusing way..
i decided to do the camino three weeks ago, but i have time from 2 september till 12 of october to finish (i am hoping i have enough time to reach finisterre , not just santiago )

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Simply wonderful @Roland Abi Hanna - a lifetime achievement. Congratulations. Enjoy celebrating because it is a very, very, special thing you have done.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Great photos. They say it all. A well deserved congratulations to you.
Keep walking!

You'll be fine, you'll have more fun if you halve your pack weight. I did my first Camino with a similar weight and my feet did not thank me. I pack lighter now and it makes a huge difference. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back