• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting a few days before SJPP

Audie Ray

Time of past OR future Camino
Late April-Mid May (2016)
Hello! I am spending about 14 days on the camino, starting in late April. I'd like to spend the first 4 or so days in France, and so am planning on starting before St. Jean (perhaps in Orthez?) I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to get information on maps, albergues, etc. on the first portion? I have the "classic" guidebook that gives pretty extensive info after St. Jean, but am wondering about how to plan for the first leg of the trip. Please pardon if this is a naïve question, thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello! I am spending about 14 days on the camino, starting in late April. I'd like to spend the first 4 or so days in France, and so am planning on starting before St. Jean (perhaps in Orthez?) I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to get information on maps, albergues, etc. on the first portion? I have the "classic" guidebook that gives pretty extensive info after St. Jean, but am wondering about how to plan for the first leg of the trip. Please pardon if this is a naïve question, thanks!
Welcome Audie Ray! I was provided with the suggestion to start in St. Palais, which I am doing in a mere three weeks. You can find some useful information here. Good luck and Buen Camino.

I'd like to spend the first 4 or so days in France, and so am planning on starting before St. Jean

A standard guide is Miam Miam Dodo (MMD) for the route known as GR 65 Saint Jacques de Compostelle. MMD focuses on accommodation as well as providing maps.

The GR 65 passes through Arthez-de-Bearn, about 10-15 km south east of Orthez. Possibly even closer is Argagnon. These are 100 to 90 km respectively from SJPdP.
Another alternative is the town of Navarrenx, about 65 km from SJPdP.
Once at your chosen start point on GR 65 MMD can help you with the route and accommodation.

Bon chemin

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back