• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting a new kilt thread (it is February, after all!).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sporrans - it's what badgers are just dieing to be!

The sign of a true Scottish gentlemen?

One who moves his sporran from the front to the side when the dancing changes from Eightsome Reel to a slow waltz...

(And a true Scotsman doesn't keep money in his sporran in the hope that someone else will buy the next round of drinks - not suggesting anyone might be mean, just 'canny' with their money...)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As Stephen said (above) - Western Isles and where the first clan was formed by your ancestors about 1200 years ago. Many spellings (which is normal) - seems that your association is the Clan MacLaine of Lochbuie.

There was a partial migration to Ireland at one point - so your confused background! ;)
Thanks for the info. Really appreciated!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As my dad says, deep pockets and short arms
No pockets in a kilt, but certainly 'prudent' - being 'thrifty' is a virtue surely?

(And in reality it easier to keep folding money in the elastic of your sock flags/ 'garters' for when it is your round - the change goes either to the bar staff or the charity tin on the bar; it leaves more space in the sporran for hip flask, clean handkerchief and dance card - and not a mobile phone in sight 😉).

I think there might be something to that added fertility thing. Pretty much because when I see you "ordinary" men in a kilt this is how I actually DO see you...Plus now I really want to look up under your skirts.

Attachments

• meanwhile.jpg
    meanwhile.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 11
Coming late to this very amusing party...but just to say:
trousers are not made for our anatomy!!
They're not made for anyone's anatomy.

And to ask: So...what if you are a mixed up person with Canadian/American parents, with warring ancestry coming from both sides, with some Scots-Irish thrown in for the sake of confusion?
Whose tartan would you wear?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is great. I grew up in Clan Okee as in Muskogee Oklahoma USA. I never really considered my families ethnic heritage until recently when our family was traced to Clan McGregor in Scotland. I am now seriously considering purchasing a kilt with the McGregor tartan. But the question is....would it look good with my cowboy boots, spurs and Stetson? 🙂

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Recently, genealogy experts have done the math. Any person who was living about 1000 years ago who has a living descendant, is ancestor to every living person. (I'd assume this to be along continental lines.)

So pick some member of the Irish-Scot nobility of 1000 AD and wear their tartan!

The Scots were Irish, pushed the Picts out of the western coastal area when they colonized.

Buen camino, cousins.

I'd be very interested to watch from the sidelines while you debated that point with the Irish Guards :)
View attachment 56046
Historically, the insurgents that the Romans encountered north of the Hadians wall and who they called Scoti, were invading Gaels from Ireland :
- "By the 5th century, the Gaelic kingdom of Dál Riata had emerged in western Scotland. This kingdom was inevitably conquered and consumed by Pictland, spreading its culture to it in the generations preceding and following its conquest. The name came to be applied to all subjects of this now predominantly Goidelic speaking Pictish kingdom – hence the modern terms Scot, Scottish and Scotland.[10] " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoti

As a holder of the P312 "Western Atlantic" Celtic gene, even I could wear tartan !!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And to ask: So...what if you are a mixed up person with Canadian/American parents, with warring ancestry coming from both sides, with some Scots-Irish thrown in for the sake of confusion?
Whose tartan would you wear?
You can exercise your Canadian heritage without risk. All the provinces in Canada have their own tartan, as does the country as a whole. I know from experience that the Nova Scotian tartan is very popular in that province & is seen in many ways. Nobody will mind if you wear it.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back