• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting....again

Jan and keith

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
Last year my husband and I started our much anticipated Camino. After a year of dreaming, planning, and walking, we started out from Pamplona. The first three days were absolutely magnificent. (He was 67 and very healthy, I was 64, newly retired and also healthy). The sights, people we met, rich conversation, and overwhelming feelings of gratitude were enormous blessings. On our third day, walking into Estella, we had never felt better! In less than 20 minutes after entering the Municipal Alberque.....my husband fell ( NEVER had fallen before....RARELY sick) in a slippery shower and completely blew out his hip. Huge long story starting in hospital in Estella, ending thankfully in University Hospital in Pamplona for a total hip replacement. The recovery has been surprisingly difficult...docs in U.S. don't recognize prosthesis used and he still has residual pain and limp. BUT... We bought our plane tickets yesterday for September and did our first 6 mile walk today to prep. Planning to start in the Alberque in Estella......and very symbolically leave. This time, we only are going to take three weeks, and have decided that given the reality of his hip, we will be skipping some parts, and using bus/ taxi when necessary. Any thoughts on how best to use 20 days?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Great news that hubby has recovered enough to continue. Is he going to carry his own shower bathmat? Suggest considering having some short days walking linked to a short ride. Maybe get taxi numbers every night ready for the next day. Perhaps start the day with a taxi (pre-book the night before with hospitalero's help). Perhaps plan to stay at the foot of the harder climbs to climb while his hip is relatively OK? I hope all goes well and Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Keith. A very warm welcome to the tin hip club.
Like the rest of us you'll be bounding over hill and dale fuelled by fine Spanish food and wine.
Buen Camino!
Gerard

Last year my husband and I started our much anticipated Camino. After a year of dreaming, planning, and walking, we started out from Pamplona. The first three days were absolutely magnificent. (He was 67 and very healthy, I was 64, newly retired and also healthy). The sights, people we met, rich conversation, and overwhelming feelings of gratitude were enormous blessings. On our third day, walking into Estella, we had never felt better! In less than 20 minutes after entering the Municipal Alberque.....my husband fell ( NEVER had fallen before....RARELY sick) in a slippery shower and completely blew out his hip. Huge long story starting in hospital in Estella, ending thankfully in University Hospital in Pamplona for a total hip replacement. The recovery has been surprisingly difficult...docs in U.S. don't recognize prosthesis used and he still has residual pain and limp. BUT... We bought our plane tickets yesterday for September and did our first 6 mile walk today to prep. Planning to start in the Alberque in Estella......and very symbolically leave. This time, we only are going to take three weeks, and have decided that given the reality of his hip, we will be skipping some parts, and using bus/ taxi when necessary. Any thoughts on how best to use 20 days?

We're on the Camino now -- and we're amazed at how inexpensive charming little pensions and hotels are. I understand there are folks who believe one must stay in Albergues to have a true experience, but it's been wonderful for us...and we've met a lot of other pilgrims, as well. In addition, we're having our luggage transported -- also not terribly expensive.

Why not plan for shorter days? The towns are lovely...and there is no need to do 30 km or to follow Briarly exactly. Split it in half and take buses on the boring parts.

I would vote for savoring the experience more than the hardship -- the walks are tiring enough. If you'd like, I'd be happy to send a list of all the hotels/pensions our tour company booked us in. They've all been great.

It's been a magical experience.... Ning

Thanks for you comment. I'm doing my first Camino in August/September and opted for 60 days rather than the traditional. Doing the same approach. I'm probably only going to do this once and I'd rather spend the time walking, thinking, and enjoying the experience (not that there isn't enjoyment in the traditional approach). I'm 66 and spent my physical hardship earlier in my career :) :) :) You've reinforce my approach.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great news that hubby has recovered enough to continue. Is he going to carry his own shower bathmat? Suggest considering having some short days walking linked to a short ride. Maybe get taxi numbers every night ready for the next day. Perhaps start the day with a taxi (pre-book the night before with hospitalero's help). Perhaps plan to stay at the foot of the harder climbs to climb while his hip is relatively OK? I hope all goes well and Buen Camino.
Thanks for the kind words and advice. Shower shoes for sure and more vigilance about slippery surfaces. We are so excited to return!!

We started our first camino with the intention to be in gratitude for the blessings of our lives, and to be very open to lessons which might be presented to us. We both agree that this year of a bit of hardship HAS taught us many lessons that apparently we needed. So blessed to be able to start again!
Keith. A very warm welcome to the tin hip club.
Like the rest of us you'll be bounding over hill and dale fuelled by fine Spanish food and wine.
Buen Camino!
Gerard

... We bought our plane tickets yesterday for September and did our first 6 mile walk today to prep. Planning to start in the Alberque in Estella......and very symbolically leave. This time, we only are going to take three weeks, and have decided that given the reality of his hip, we will be skipping some parts, and using bus/ taxi when necessary. Any thoughts on how best to use 20 days?

Bearing in mind that there are literally every few kilometres albergues available, I would suggest you just walk every day as far as he can comfortably walk and if you don't make it to Santiago this year, continue next year. Skipping parts will just give you a feeling of 'disconnecting' in my experience.
Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back