• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting April 15th from Lisbon-Fisherman's Way/Portuguese Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Hello all,
I will be flying from Chicago to Lisbon on April 15th with my adult son, spending two short days of sightseeing there before taking a bus down to Porto Covo to spend nearly two weeks walking the Rota Vicentina "Fisherman's Trail" down to Lagos. From there we will be taking a 7+ hour bus ride all the way north to Porto, where we spend another two days before starting the Portuguese Camino. I'm planning to turn inland to the central route after just two days as I will already have had lots of cliff top ocean scenery by then. We are including the Spiritual Variant as we head north toward Santiago, where I will be meeting up with a couple of forum members at the end before heading back home!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
yay yay yay. You have added it to the Calendar!!! Buen camino, Chris. I'm not leaving this year till early June, so we won't cross paths over there, but we three Illinoisans will have to have a repeat rendezvous this fall.

Abrazos and buen camino. Laurie
Yes, that would be great!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good traveling Chris.
Regards
Gerard
Hi Gerard,
Thank you!
I recall you were in Portugal last year (or the one prior) and had written a very good chapter for your "book" about one of your experiences on the coast. I had just been to the same spot you'd written about, but didn't go up that big cliff/hill to the village up top...too lazy I guess. I was not on a walking trip, so phychologically it was just too much work! 😉

I am planning on walking from Sao Vicente to Lisbon, then continue on the Portuguese to Santiago, maybe in March 2020.
I did the Coastal Portuguese from Coimbra a few years ago, but as I am reading up on Rota Vicentina, I am ready to do it all over again connecting the two. Any advice from folks who have done the Rota Vicentina on the Fisherman or Historical routs? Will it be fairly easy to continue to Lisbon from Santiago Do Casem or Sines?
Thanks

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am planning on walking from Sao Vicente to Lisbon, then continue on the Portuguese to Santiago, maybe in March 2020.
I did the Coastal Portuguese from Coimbra a few years ago, but as I am reading up on Rota Vicentina, I am ready to do it all over again connecting the two. Any advice from folks who have done the Rota Vicentina on the Fisherman or Historical routs? Will it be fairly easy to continue to Lisbon from Santiago Do Casem or Sines?
Thanks

Hi, Viggen,

I think a few forum members have made the connection, but I think it is hard to avoid some very congested highway and industrial areas. And I don’t think you can walk across the 25th of April bridge, so you would have to take the commuter train or a bus.

Maybe these threads will help

I know there was talk a while back about marking a route that didn’t cross the Tejo till north of Lisbon. That would be shorter and more direct, but it would avoid Lisbon, which would be a real shame, IMO!

Hi, Viggen,

I think a few forum members have made the connection, but I think it is hard to avoid some very congested highway and industrial areas. And I don’t think you can walk across the 25th of April bridge, so you would have to take the commuter train or a bus.

Maybe these threads will help

I know there was talk a while back about marking a route that didn’t cross the Tejo till north of Lisbon. That would be shorter and more direct, but it would avoid Lisbon, which would be a real shame, IMO!
Thanks you.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back