• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Arles route beginning September

Time of past OR future Camino
Mozárabe-VDLP, hospitalera Grado (Primitivo) 2023
Is there anyone beginning the Arles route at the beginning of September? Just having a few qualms about it being rather lonely (although my experience on the VDLP at the same time last year should be encouragement that it will be otherwise).
Bernice M

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Bernice

I am starting to plan another Camino (2014 Le Puy en Velay to Roncevaux & 2015 Roncevaux to Santiago) and look like hiking from Arles to Pau in 12-18 months time.

Would you be able to forward a list of where you are staying and what guide book, if any, you are using.

How far are you contemplating?

Enjoy your journey in September.

Buen Camino

Ossimate,
I'm using Miam Miam Dodo for map and accommodation from Arles, plus the CSJ two part guide. The Miam guide is in French, but has enough symbols for a non-French speaker like me.

I'll definitely do the Arles route, but am flexible about continuing on the Frances, Invierno, and Sanabres. The latter has the prospect of the best Caldo I have ever tasted at Ponte Ulla, which is enough to motivate me to walk a long way. Weather and too much solitude are another factor, but I have until beginning of December to complete.

I can pass on info on accommodation later.

I also have apps, by Wise Pilgrim for the Aragones and Invierno, and Melanie McManus's VDLP guide for the Sanabres.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Bernice,

thank you for your prompt reply and the information - I was not sure if the Miam Miam Dodo was available on the Arles route but obviously it is - I will buy this on Amazon as I have used the guide on the Camino before and found it to be excellent.

Info on accommodation would be appreciated at a later date.

Have a great day.

Ralph

You will not be lonely on the Arles route. There are other pilgrims, not in the grand scale of the le puy route but there are other walkers. You also cross other GRs so you will meet long distance walkers on other routes. I walked the route in a very wet May and April but this year seems to be very warm throughout southern Europe. The tourist information offices also have lists of gites in addition to miam miam dodo and the CSJ. Their information is often the most up to date. Enjoy the walk from Pau to Canfranc over the Col du Somport. It is magical.

I started from Montpellier last year on April 26 and found it so lonely I reversed course, caught a train from Montpellier to Aumont-Aubrac and repeated the GR 65.

I wish you luck and hope you'll report back here on what companionship you find.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear barbaravan

as I am in the planning stages for the Arles walk, would it be possible to get a list of where you stayed along the way? What month did you go and how was the weather, was it a 'hard' walk.

kind regards.

Ralph

You will not be lonely on the Arles route. There are other pilgrims, not in the grand scale of the le puy route but there are other walkers. You also cross other GRs so you will meet long distance walkers on other routes. I walked the route in a very wet May and April but this year seems to be very warm throughout southern Europe. The tourist information offices also have lists of gites in addition to miam miam dodo and the CSJ. Their information is often the most up to date. Enjoy the walk from Pau to Canfranc over the Col du Somport. It is magical.

Thank you for your encouragement.
B

Most read last week in this forum

This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in “Equipment etc” but would probably get a lot of Spain replies. I’m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on...
Greetings pilgrims, We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back