Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.

starting at El Cebreiro

Charles Bello

I am walking the pilgrimage for the first time I will be walking with my two teenage sons. I am wanting to start at El Cebreiro. I will be riding with a eurorail pass from Frankfurt to Spain. Is there are train that stops at El Cebreiro, or a bus that can take us there?

Also, can I pick up the pilgrimage certificate at El Cebreio for me and my two sons?

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Simon

Year of past OR future Camino
2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2017, 2019
Hi Charles, we started at O Cebreiro in 2006. You can pick up the Credencial at the church in the village. Aim to get there in good time as the refugio fills up quite quickly.
There's a thread of discussions on how to start at O Cebreiro here
http://www.pilgrimage-to-santiago.com/board/traveling-to-from-the-camino/topic562.html

Bus stops at Piedrafita and you will need to walk up the hill to O Cebreiro.

Buen Camino! Simon

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
Charles, Just one other point about staying in O'Cebreiro first off. You will need to walk up the hill to get there, as Simon suggests, if you want to stay in the albergue there. They were strictly applying 'priority' in this albergue when I was there last year. Walkers got in straight off, and cyclists had to wait until the evening before they were allowed to check in. By then it was full. There was a Spanish family group who arrived- two women and four teens- by taxi, as their starting point was to be O''Cebreiro. They ended up sleeping outside the albergue, being too low in the priority queue, (and other accommodation options on the mountain seem to be quite expensive.) It was a cold night for them, and they weren't really prepared for the cold.
The good news is, they survived the cold night and made it into Santiago the same day we did- and they were so very happy about it!
Margaret

Charles Bello

Simon and Margaret,

Thanks for your reply. It is so helpful to have someone who has already walked the path to take the time to share their insights and suggestions.