Search 69,459 Camino Questions

starting at Oviedo

piru

I want to start my pilgrimage at Oviedo in mid July, reach Santiago de Compostela, but finish my walk in Finisterre by the 31st of July so that I can rest there for that last weekend of the month. How many days should I calculate? If the total days are 19, then this is the route I want to take, however, if it will be more, then I might take a bus or train from Santiago to Finisterre.
I was also trying to find ways to get from Madrid to Oviedo at a very low cost- any suggestions?
How should I calcualte my daily budget while walking the pilgrimage?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The cheapest way to get from Madrid to Oviedo is by train 47.20 euro. There are 4 trains per day 06h50, 11am, 14h06 and 18h30 check the website http://www.renfe.es
There are buses from Santiago to Finisterre (no trains)

The Camino Primitivo is about 369 Kms from Oviedo) so it could take you 18 days walking 20kms per day or, if you follow the daily stages on this website http://www.caminotineo.com , 16 days.
(There is also info here: http://www.amigosdelcamino.com )
Oviedo - Grado
Grado - Salas
Variante de Grado - Salas
Salas - Tineo
Tineo - Borres
Borres - Berducedo
Borres - Pola de Allande - Peñaxeita
Peñaxeita - Grandas de Salime
Grandas de Salime - Fonsagrada
Fonsagrada - Cadavo (Baleira)
Cadavo - Lugo
Lugo - Ferreira
Ferreira - Melide
Lugo - Palas de Rey
Melide - Santa Irene
Santa Irene - Santiago de Compostela

Walking to Finisterre could take you 3, 4 or even 5 days.

So, you could walk to Santiago and to Finisterre in 19 days

sillydoll said:
The cheapest way to get from Madrid to Oviedo is ...

Sillydoll,
If may say, this itinerary is pretty comfortable.
Perhaps, comparing other stages, could say that Tineo - Borres is to short for one day. Unless taking a rest for the next day´s trip via Hospital. Otherwise, Tineo - Pola de Allande is very doable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Piru,

Also check out Iberia - depending on the day and time you can fly roundtrip from Madrid to Asturias for 57 euros (of course you're probably not flying back from Oviedo but round trip fares are usually cheaper than one-way). Or you can fly back from Santiago and if you price it using "multiple destinations" it can be as low as 58 euros total (i.e., average of 29 each way). I'm planning on doing the Primitivo in August and got a flight from Madrid to Oviedo and back to Madrid from Santiago for about 70 euros total.

Buen camino!

DavidF said:
Piru,

Also check out Iberia - depending on the day and time you can fly roundtrip from Madrid to Asturias for 57 euros (of course you're probably not flying back from Oviedo but round trip fares are usually cheaper than one-way). Or you can fly back from Santiago and if you price it using "multiple destinations" it can be as low as 58 euros total (i.e., average of 29 each way). I'm planning on doing the Primitivo in August and got a flight from Madrid to Oviedo and back to Madrid from Santiago for about 70 euros total.

Buen camino!

I wouldn't choose the plane for that travel. The airport in Asturias is quite far from Oviedo, so after arriving you have a quite long travel by bus to Oviedo.

About the Camino Primitivo, is about 14 days if you take the Oviedo-Grado-Salas-Tineo option (20 km each). But, if you prefer to walk etapas a bit longer you can walk Oviedo-Cornellana-Tineo (30 km each). The albergue in Grado is not exactly in this town, but two km later, in San Juan de Villapañada.

About Lugo-Santiago, if you take the Palas option you can walk it in just three days (36-26-39 km). So, the whole distance can be walked in 13, 14 or 15 days.

About Santiago-Fisterra, it's quite normal to walk it in 3 days (Santiago-Negreira-Olveiroa-Fisterra). But, you can choose a 4th day staying in Corcubion (9 km from Fisterra). And, you can take another option, to continue from Fisterra to Muxia.

So, many different options, choose the one you prefer. And, remember, you only can be accepted in the albergue in Fisterra if you have walked to Fisterra, the bus is not a valid way for that.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Piru,
Terry walked the Norte and Primitivo in May. He left Oviedo on May 10th and arrived in Santiago on May 28th having had 3 full rest days on route and also some very short walking days (7km one day) as well as his average 20km daily. The first couple of days out of Oviedo are quite demanding if you start from there rather than on the Norte. You can see his route and comments on his posts under Introduction - by Terry B in the 'Pilgrim Introductions' section here. The address for his blog is also on his posts.
Hope they help you.
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

Hey guys, I've been there last June~August, and I would recommend taking a plane to Asturias.
It only take an hour from Asturias airport to Oviedo, and it wasn't expensive either.
About an hour of flight + an hour of bus is not bad compaired to long-hours of train or bus.

Wish you could find a bargain in easyjet or so.

sillydoll has stated that it would take 16-18 days from Oviedo to Santiago...so how many days would it take from Irun to Oviedo then..just trying to estimate some sort of time table..would appreciate some info on this guys.
will be starting out sometime around June 20th after I finish my two weeks of volunteering at L'Esprit du chemin at St. Jean Pied du Port.
chao,
n

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Nathanael,

I walked the Norte in 2007 and it took me 22 days to walk from Irun to Oviedo, you can see my stages here: el-camino-del-norte/topic2829.html

I think 16-18 days for Oviedo to Santiago on the Primitivo is a little long. I'm not a marathon walker or anything, but I walked this route in Sept-Oct 2008 and it took me 11 days. My stages are here: camino-primitivo/topic4841.html

I think that both of these routes are gorgeous, but the Primitivo is really special. Laurie

hey Camino friends have been thinking of staying in Pamplona for the nite of 5 th. of June before heading to St. Jean Pied du Port. Have seen two possible hostels in Pamplona and need advice on these and other suggestions are appreciated. Also would like to walk from Roncesvalles to St. Jean have been told it's 30k so would it be better to stay in Roncesvalles in order to get a good early and fresh start rather than stay in Pamplona. I need to be in St. Jean Pied du Port for the 6 th of June, so would like some options...suggestions? Thanks
n.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Howdy, friends! Well, it looks like Johnnyman is headed back to the Camino :D

One of my 2011 Camino Frances friends and I will reunite in mid-June and cross the mountains from St. Jean-whatever into Pamplona, then bus or train it over to Oviedo and walk the Camino Primitivo. Neither one of us crossed the mountains from France last time. After walking from Oviedo to Lugo, we will hightail it back to Sahagun and walk from there on in to Santiago. Last time, we walked from Pamplona to Sahagun, where we boarded a train and bus to Sarria, then walked from there to Santiago. This was because I did not plan very well and was running out of days before I had to head back home ...

Slowly starting plans for the Primitivo in the fall of 2014!! :D

Hi, johnniman,
For four or five more days wth an amazing mountain crossing, take the train from Pamplona to Leon and walk the Camino del Salvador to Oviedo. It's well worth it, just beautiful. Good albergues, incredible (and well-marked) mountain walking that is a little remote.

Ksam, you're back! So happy you're going to take a walk on the Primitivo, you will love it. I've walked once in summer and once in early fall (started in Leon last weekend in September). Are you going to start in Leon or in Oviedo?

Buen camino primitivo, peregrinos. Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
peregrina2000 said:
Hi, johnniman,
For four or five more days wth an amazing mountain crossing, take the train from Pamplona to Leon and walk the Camino del Salvador to Oviedo. It's well worth it, just beautiful. Good albergues, incredible (and well-marked) mountain walking that is a little remote.

Ksam, you're back! So happy you're going to take a walk on the Primitivo, you will love it. I've walked once in summer and once in early fall (started in Leon last weekend in September). Are you going to start in Leon or in Oviedo?

Buen camino primitivo, peregrinos. Laurie
We are now thinking of doing exactly what you recommend -- Sgt. Jean to Pamplona, then Leon to Oviedo, then the Camino Primitivo and on to Santiago!

LMAO!! I've been renewed...does my now being listed as a "new" member mean I got younger too...I'll take it, thank you very much!! Plans are getting further along for the Primitivo. Looks like I won't be a solo this time. 3 guys coming with me, including the ever reluctant Raymond!! I may be packing a little heavier than last time. Duct tape will be included to silence any and all whining about distance along the way!! :-0

Hola, ksam, you can't disappear again until you walk the Primitivo. :) Are you still thinking of going in fall 2014? There are a couple forum members starting very soon so you maybe you'll get some recent updates. And I hope to be back next spring as well.

You're a brave woman to walk with three guys!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I'm planning on walking Camino Le Puy starting early April 2014 and through to Pamplona. From there, perhaps the Camino Primitivo. From comments here it looks like I should be able to travel by train or bus from Pamplona to Oviedo.

Has anyone one this? Have some information? I have visited a few spanish transport websites, but not having a lot of luck.

Many thanks
Jenny

Have a look here Jen. http://www.independentrip.com/en/bus-and-train/oviedo-pamplona Click on the cartouche with Times and Bus Tickets or Times and Train tickets on the right side box.
And check out Margaret's lovely blog on walking from Le Puy in April a few years ago. http://chemincamino08.blogspot.com/

Thanks Margaret. Had a look there but perhaps a little early for my dates. Will tray again closer to the time. The main thing is to know that I can travel fairly directly from Pamplona to Oviedo. Appreciate your quick reply!. Jenny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back