• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting at Ponferrada + Packing questions

YigalR

Hi everybody,

After too many months (maybe years?) of planning, I'm finally going to walk the camino.
I have only 9-10 days to walk, so I decided to start at Ponferrada.
My plan is as following:
Day 0 (8/4/2011): Arriving to Ponferrada at the late evening (Approx. 20:00, due to flight issues. I'm flying from Tel Aviv to Madrid, and then go by car to Ponferrada).
Days 1-9 (9-18/4/2011): Walking along the Camino Frances, approx. 20-25 km per day
Day 9 (18/4/2011): Arriving to Santiago.
Day 10 (19/4/2011): Flying from Santiago to Madrid (at noon).
Days 11-15 (20-24/4/2011): Madrid (+ 1 day trip to Toledo...).

My questions are:
1) Can I get my pilgrim passport in Ponferrada? where?
I would like to have my passport at day 0, and not spend time due to this reason on my first day of hiking.
2) As I'm jewish. my reasons for walking are not religous but cultural. Do you think it would be a problem when trying to get my pilgrim passport?
3) Is arriving to ponferrada around 20:00 a problem regarding sleeping arrangements? Should I book a hostel in advance or do you think I can get along when I get there?
3) Is a sleeping bag really needed when traveling on April? I don't want to carry unnecessary equipment with me.
4) I checked on eBay for rain gears/ rain ponchos, and I can't figure out what is suitable for a trip like this, at this time of the year. what do you think about the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rain-Suit-Coleman-L ... 84b77be2f3

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Coleman-Adult-S ... 45f49b0c9d

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coleman-Adult-Rain- ... 7dbb222bde

Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Congratulations on finally getting a scheduled Camino!

1. You can get a passport in Ponferrada...but the 10pm arrival may be a problem. Where do you plan to stay that night? You can usually get a Pilgrim Passport at an albergue or the cathedral. The cathedral will be closed and I think the albergue will be also at that time. Hopefully, you could get one at an albergue first thing in the morning.
2. Your religion will have no bearing on any aspect of the Camino. No one will (or should) even ask.
They may ask if your reason for the Camino is "religious/spiritual" or "other". Most will opt for spiritual as that includes all religions and allows for a Compostela at end in Santiago.
3. Someone may be able to address the sleeping possibilities when arriving late.
4. I have done the Camino twice in April. A tough decision regarding the sleeping bag. If I were to do it again I would just take a silk sleeping sak and hope for blankets in the Albergue if needed. If not sleep in fleece.
5. The Altus poncho is the best way to go (in my opinion). Goggle it and you may find it available on line.

From the Santiago Cathedral site:

This credential is destined for those who aim to walk, go on horseback or cycle to St. James as an act of religious devotion or at least as a spiritual search. It is intended to identify the pilgrim. Therefore, the presenting institution has to be a parish, a confraternity and the like. The credential does not generate any right to the pilgrim. It has two practical goals:

* The admittance to the refuges offered by Christian hospitality along the Way and,
* To obtain the “Compostela” from the Cathedral of St. James, which is the official certificate of the pilgrimage. It is only awarded to those who have come in Christian terms: devotionis affectu, voti vel pietatis causa – “being the motivation devotion, vow or piety”. In order to get the “Compostela”, you also have to walk or go on horseback up to the Apostle’s Tomb for at least the last 100 Km or cycle for at least the last 200 Km.

- Thus, the pilgrim credential can exclusively be drawn up by the Church through its institutions – that is to say, Bishopric, Parish, Confraternity, etc. or institutions authorized by the Church. This is the only way to obtain the “Compostela” in the S.A.M.I. Cathedral of St. James (Jornadas sobre el Año Santo: noviembre 1993).

-Refuges do not receive any subsidy; therefore pilgrims should collaborate on their maintenance, keeping their austerity in mind – cleaning, facility care, economic contributions…

- Organized groups on bicycle or with supporting car please look for alternative lodgings.

- The bearer of this credential abides by these rules.

REMINDER

In order to obtain the Compostela only the following document will be accepted.

Reasons:

* So that the pilgrims have the correct information in the pilgrim’s passport.
* To avoid the dispersion and commercialization of the pilgrim’s passport.
* To give a Christian meaning to the pilgrimage from the beginning.
The Credential is for everyone with religious devotion or spiritual search. The compostela is for those who have come in Christian terms.

Have a fun time!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
OK, thanks for your help.
I'm more calm now about the credencial, I would re-consider the sleeping bag issue and google the poncho.

It seems to me that according to your answer, I should book a room in a regular hostel for the night I arrive at Ponferrada, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again!!

If you want an amazing cultural experience, take in the Pilgrim's Mass in the Santiago Cathedral.
Lots of pomp and ceremony - ritual and liturgy.
Many non-catholics attend. Just stand when others stand, sit when others sit and don't go forward for communion.

Learning some of the story of James (Santiago) and history of the camino will enrich your experience. Three rituals that everyone can participate in are "hugging the saint", visiting the crypt, and touching the sculpted column near the front door. Knowing what these rituals mean to the catholics and then participating as a pilgrim is quite rich.

I'm not catholic, but as a pilgrim found the services in the cathedral quite moving.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

The touching part has been eliminated unless that protests of pilgrims has finally been heard.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi guys.

Thanks for your replies. I haven't been here for a while due to work issues (too much pressure...).
Never mind, I'm here again :)

I've looked for the Altus poncho online, as you recommended, and I could only find it for a surprisingly high price of 60 euros, due to very high shipping rates to Israel.

Do you think it would be easy for me to find it when arriving to Spain?
My flight lands at Barajas, and from there my brother and I are going to drive all the way up ro Ponferrada. I'm seriously thinking about buying that rain poncho in Spain, and want to make sure I't wouldn't be a problem to find one along the way. What should be the price in that case?

And about the backpack - My brother's girlfriend has a 45L backpack. Do you think I should be able to pack all the needed stuff into this size of backpack or give up and go for a 60L one? I prefer to pack lightly, though not sure if this volume would be enough.

Again, thanks for your help!!
I'm so thrilled about my camino, can't wait for it to finally be real...

Hi there,
I heard also that before arriving in Santiago one must decide to say one is walking for religious reasons (or one won't be granted a compostela) - this is not true. Most people nowadays are walking for cultural/other reasons, and these are totally accepted at the site in Santiago. So I agree with earlier posts which suggest no worries over "religious" reasons.

Other than that, I hope you have a wonderful walk - I would definitely bring a sleeping bag: we brought one in May; used it every night, through June. Not too warm in any location at night.

Buen camino!

I've looked at the Altus poncho at the Barrabes.com website (Spain version), and they allow you to buy it online and pick it up at one of their stores. However, I do not have any information on if they take foreign credit cards, or how long they will hold an item for pickup. It might be worth looking into...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
YigalR said:
And about the backpack - My brother's girlfriend has a 45L backpack. Do you think I should be able to pack all the needed stuff into this size of backpack or give up and go for a 60L one? I prefer to pack lightly, though not sure if this volume would be enough...

My "Camino backpack" is only 30 litres in size. I also have a pouch that I hang on the back, holding the items I'll need during the day... mostly food...bread, cheese, chorizo, fruit, dried fruit - almonds, walnuts, dates, rasins, figs... my guide book, credential,

So for me, 35 litres is an adequate size for an April/May camino. More stuff, larger bag for a winter camino. Less stuff, smaller bag for a summer camino.

Your friend's 45 litre backpack will be just right.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

I had a 3o liter pack so 45 should be plenty big. My friend met me on the Camino and started in Ponferada. She got her pilgrim's passport at the albergue there. We got there, as I remember, about 9 p.m. If it were closed by the time you got there, you could probably find a pension to sleep and go back in the morning for the passport. we were in ponferada in late March and although I had a sleeping bag, my friend had only a sleeping bag liner and had no difficulty as all of the albergues where we stayed provided blankets. Good luck to you. Enjoy.

I use a 35L pack for the Camino. It holds everything I need with room left over. The bigger the pack the more extra things you will end up putting in and carrying.
The Altus Poncho is available in many places in Spain. I recall seeing them in shops in St. Jean, Pamplona, Astorga and Sarria. I am sure they were available in other places as well.
Not sure if they would be available in Ponferrada or Villafranca.
Maybe Sil or someone who knows can help.
Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Once again I quote the Cathedral website:
To obtain the “Compostela” from the Cathedral of St. James, which is the official certificate of the pilgrimage. It is only awarded to those who have come in Christian terms: devotionis affectu, voti vel pietatis causa – “being the motivation devotion, vow or piety”.
No one gets grilled on motivation. If you check the column for religious or spiritual, you get the Compostela. Otherwise, you get the completion certificate. It all is on the honor system. The eligibility is well-defined. The Pilgrim gets to designate whether eligibility has been fulfilled for himself. The standard does not change, but neither does the Pilgrim Office challenge the Pilgrim's claim. As with most of life, you get to follow your conscience!

There was a very nice camping/hiking equipment store near the Templar church. I don't know if an internet search would give you more information. I do not recall whether they had Altus--I already had mine so I wasn't looking. I was able to replace some socks and a towel there.

Sporting goods store:

Dog Town
Avenida PĂ©rez Colino, 26
24400 Ponferrada, Spain
+34 987 17 52 86 ‎

Ruta - Sport
C/ AlcĂłn, 14,
24400 Ponferrada, Spain
+34 987 42 45 06 ‎

Calzados Blanco
C/ Eladia Baylina, 10,
24400 Ponferrada, Spain
+34 987 41 92 78 ‎

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for your help.

I tried calling the stores you suggeted.
They do not sell the altus poncho.
The girl from Ruta Sport offered me a poncho of anothr company, nut she said it cost 60-80 euros, which is quiet a bit...

So I wondered if anyone has another idea. My camino starts 7 weeks from now, so in case I choose to order online, I should do it soon.

Thanks again,
Yigal.

On your poncho...you have plenty of time to have it sent to your home address.

They accept all the major credit cards: Visa/MC, etc.

I used the Altus and it was exactly what I needed...in that it has vents in strategic areas that reduce sweating. I did find that at times I tacked up the leading edges at the bottom to provide more room when walking quickly (won't do that again) or up hill where the angle, and possibly the wind, hampers knee movement.

Buen Camino

Arn

Arn...
the OP's problem is that he is in Israel and the only price (sent to Israel) he has found is 60 eurons plus.
He is looking for a more reasonable source.
As much as I like the Altus, I would just take along a standard poncho and hope to find one on the way before it was needed. The price he is being quoted is way out of hand.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you all for your help.

I found a store in spain that sends to Israel.
Even though the shipping rate is quite high (25 euros), the price of the ponchos was quite reasonable (28 euros), and the IVA was deduced since I live outside the EU.
The total price I paid for 2 ponchos inculding shipping was 73 euros.

Again, thanks for your help!

YigalR said:
Thank you all for your help.

I found a store in spain that sends to Israel.
Even though the shipping rate is quite high (25 euros), the price of the ponchos was quite reasonable (28 euros), and the IVA was deduced since I live outside the EU.
The total price I paid for 2 ponchos inculding shipping was 73 euros.

Again, thanks for your help!

Now....you have to hope for rain! Somehow to justify the cost of the poncho. :shock:

Great to hear you can pick up a passport in ponferrada i heard you have to be a member before a passport can be issued can anyone fill me in on what this means?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think you have to be a member of your Confraternity if you want to get one from them before you leave home. However to get one once you arrive it's probably just a case of giving a few basic details and maybe a few Euros. I've done a couple of Caminos this year and I'm not a member of anything (except this forum!).

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back