• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting at St.-Maximin-de-la-St.-Baume

Annon

Time of past OR future Camino
I would like to begin at the shrine to St. Mary Magdalene at Ste. Baume, and continue from there on the Arles route. If anyone has information or experience on the route those few days before Arles, or the lodging available, it would be much appreciated. Also, anything about the weather there in early-to-mid March...
Many thanks,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We did that route on mt bikes a couple of years ago. St Max to Arles is a nice segment. I have a good GPS track if you want it.

We stayed in hotels, including the old convent attached to the cathedral in St M.

I rent a house near there every spring, and the weather is pretty good, but can get a bit blustery and wet. That year we went through in early May and it was colder than last March.

Here's the Cathedral where they keep Mary Magdalene's skull, set in acrylic plastic.

Attachments

• st max.JPG
    st max.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 787
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Peter Robins said:
do you mean St Maximin or la Ste Baume?

The full name of the town on the GR653A is St. Maximin-la Ste-Baume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Maxi ... inte-Baume

The Mary is said to have spent her later years in the cave near the site Peter mentions, but she was buried in the crypt in town, about 20 km NE of the cave. The tomb was discovered in the 1200's. I have no idea when they decided to put her skull in plastic, but you can go down there and see it today.

The cave looks like a good visit---I'll go there this April and report back.

Thanks to you both for the wealth of links and information. The cave and hostellerie look to be about 25k southwest of the town. It will take me a while to translate the French, but I'll post here when I have--it seems a bus may get you partway.
I may get back to you on the GPS track, thank you--not yet familiar with using them.
A friend was at the caves in September, and said she was most impressed with the energy there of all the shrines she visited in France. Hauntingly beautiful landscape, from her photos. I'll let you know what it was like--I'll be there either 3/8 or 3/15/13.
Thanks again,
Annon

newfydog said:
The full name of the town on the GR653A is St. Maximin-la Ste-Baume
yes but "la sainte baume" means "the holy cave", which gave its name to the range of hills - "Chaine de la Ste Baume" - which in turn was appended to "St Maximin", where the actual relics of MM are reputed to be. But these are 2 different shrines, some 20km apart. The true devotee would visit both, though that's a long way round if you're going east-west.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
]It does indeed look like a great place. Check it out on google earth(the kmz point). There are lots of good photos.

GR 9 runs through it, and GR 99 would connect you up to GR653a.
The movie "My Father's Glory" was filmed near there.

[attachment=0]mary mag.kmz[/attachment

Attachments

• mary mag2.JPG
    mary mag2.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 662
  • mary mag.kmz
    687 bytes · Views: 44
Annon said:
it seems a bus may get you partway
in fact, there is a bus service of sorts to Plans d'Aup, some 2km from the hostellerie: see http://gazette.du.plan.over-blog.com/ar ... 09929.html and click on the 2 scanned images. The first one is a school bus from St Maximin/Auriol. open to others if space available (don't expect peace and quiet though :) ). 2nd is a public bus, on Wed and Sat. At Auriol there is a free(!) bus to/from the railway stn at Aubagne (roughly hourly service on the Marseille-Toulon line, timetables at http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Imag ... -81539.pdf ).

Here's a description of the path from the hostellerie to the grotto/cave http://baladeenprovence.com/balade.php? ... ume-Grotte - according to this, Mass every day at 10.30 led by a Dominican friar.

Peter Robins wrote: in fact, there is a bus service of sorts to Plans d'Aup, some 2km from the hostellerie: see http://gazette.du.plan.over-blog.com/ar ... 09929.html and click on the 2 scanned images. The first one is a school bus from St Maximin/Auriol. open to others if space available (don't expect peace and quiet though ). 2nd is a public bus, on Wed and Sat. At Auriol there is a free(!) bus to/from the railway stn at Aubagne (roughly hourly service on the Marseille-Toulon line, timetables at http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Imag ... -81539.pdf ).

Thanks very much! I can deal with a bit of noise on a short school bus ride--I suspect that the Arles route in March will provide plenty of peace and quiet. Annon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in “Equipment etc” but would probably get a lot of Spain replies. I’m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on...
Greetings pilgrims, We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back